She's been gone for 3 days. . .

Old 08-07-2007, 09:36 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

New,

Addicts are like children in several ways...

-they are irresponsible
-they are immature
-they are amazingly resilient
-they are selfish

I know none of that makes you feel better... but at least it makes a little more sense of her actions.

The biggest problem is that we have got to learn to take care of ourselves first and foremost. It sounds like you are doing just that, and doing it well... and I know how surprising/shocking/hurtful it is to you that she is making such a dumb choice... but I am so glad that you are being practical about it.

If you ever have a chance, google pictures of the brain on drugs... kinda scary that their brains can look like they do and they can be alive the next day to tell about it.

You are in my prayers today.

*hugs*
Old 08-07-2007, 09:37 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Bridge CLOSED

Originally Posted by newblue82 View Post
I just don't get it. She has all the resources needed to succeed. It's not like she doesn't have the means to stay in recovery so why choose drugs?
Because she loves the High they give her. She loves the high so much she is addicted to it and not ready to live without it.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:01 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Administrator

I found that trying to figure out why never did me any good whatsoever...it just made me sick and pushed me into the role of victim...a role I hate. We all have choices to decide to think it is a character defect or a disease or a physical and mental illness or that the addicts we love are just selfish people and they will be punished...that's our choice too. I believe it is just as stated in the naranon blue book "we have learned that addiction is a disease; a physicla allergy coupled with an obsession of the mind."

My choice is to work a 12 step program for me and to learn a better way. It has helped me learn compassion and love and admiration for the strength recovering addicts show...can you imagine how incredibly strong someone must be to get past such a horrible condition? I don't see it as being weak...I view it as being so amazingly strong to get through every single clean day, to slip and then get back up...to choose to keep going. My program has helped me to set boundaries for myself and to stop enabling my daughter when she was alive and it continues to help me now to find peace and serenty and to live a blessed life. Sending prayers and positive thoughts that you find that too.