Pills

Old 03-15-2007, 04:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
grateful rca

Pills

my doc is crack. don't know if its ok to ask this kind or question. i know that it really doesn't matter what the doc is, addiction is addiction, but i'm curious to know what kind of illnesses are these addictive pills suppose to be a cure for.
seems like so many addicts find themselves addicted to some medication maybe not knowing the risk or do they. am i wrong to assume this.
Old 03-15-2007, 04:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

For me my addiction started with a valid perscription from my Dr. I have chronic pain (no cartlidge in knees so they are bone on bone when I walk or do any bending). Hydrocodone, percocet, darvocet, oxy's are prescribed for chronic pain or pain. Benzo's are prescibed for anxiety and are HIGHLY addicting. I had no idea the pain killers were addictive until I tried to stop and went into withdrawls badly. They are in the same catagory has heroin they are opiates. My dr never talked to me about how they are addicting and can be abuse. I believe in my heart I would have never filled the prescription there is so much abuse in my family I know I had the addictive personality and gene. Which is why I never used drugs in my life. My fiance has alot of back problems and is on alot of heavy duty pain killers and since there is no cure has been for a long time. Only difference he doesnt abuse his meds he doesnt take them for that high that I took them for. Yes he is physically dependent but not mentally like I was he can take them or leave them. FRUSTRATING!
Old 03-15-2007, 04:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Question

Pills that are typically prescribed are for pain, nervous disorders or muscle spasms and/or injuries. Is that what you're asking? There are different classes of narcotics. Some are muscle relaxers (soma), and other are benzodiazipines (xanax and valium), and then there's the ultimate...Opiates (loratab, vicodin, etc.) They rewire the brain and shut down the natural production of dopamine (opiates do this).
Old 03-15-2007, 05:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
grateful rca

ok, i have a severe neck injury and was prescribed some big pink pain pills that would put me to sleep, don't know what kind they were, but my girlfriend asked me for one and i explain to her that they were really strong and that when ever i took one, i would literally break it into crumbs, cause i don't like meds that puts you to sleep, but i notice that every now and again, she will casually ask if i had anymore. i don't take prescription meds cause i'm afraid so for my back aches, i'll just take a tylonol, is that addictive too.

also, i was on zoloft, and i stopped taking them, and when i did, i would get this funny feeling all of a sudden and then it would casually go away. i went to the paramedics to ask them about the way i was feeling and they told me that i was feeling all woozy because i was coming off the zoloft, is this addictive.

yes kj and faith, i know that its time for me to go back to the doctors for a follow up and i know that my neck and back pains have gotten a little worse over the yrs and i just want to make sure i know what i'm taking.
Old 03-15-2007, 06:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Jujubee Queen

Teke,
No, tylenol is not addictive.
Zoloft is given for depression, so I would imagine you could become psychologically addicted to it, if it was helping your depression.... and made you feel better, a person may think they couldn't function without it.

My BIL, I believe, is addicted to oxycontin, he has back problems and refuses any medical procedure, and would rather be medicated.

Good questions Teke.
Old 03-15-2007, 06:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
grateful rca

well i refused any procedures too, and i also refuse to take any prescription med too.
when i was on that paxil, and then zoloft, i didn't like that way it made me feel when i forgot to take them so when i found sr, and began to work on me and my issues, i found that i wasn't depressed any more, so i quit taking them on my own, maybe thats why i was having those dizzy spells, i called them, huh? i guess i could have gotten addicted to them too. i'm an addict, and i know that i can get addicted real fast to anything. thank you for answering this question. funny i though that this would sound really dumb for me to ask, like i'm old enough to know some of this stuff that i bring here, but i don't, and i've learned that i don't have to be ashamed to ask.
Old 03-15-2007, 06:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

If your on an anti depressant for a long period of time its not wise to stop them suddenly usually your weaned off them. So the chemicals can balance out in the brain. I dont think you can become really addicted to them like your body will crave them like it would your DOC. When coming off anti depressants I have heard that it makes some people feel weird. My fiance wont have anything done with his back either. Its not that he would rather takes pain meds its that its not a guaranteed procedure and most likely wont work from the research that we have done and from others who have had it done. If it was guaranteed that it would work and he would be pain free and be able to walk and function without being in excruciating pain 80% of the time I know he would do it in a minute. For him its more quality of life than it is the meds. Just like the meds were for me it was nice being able to walk and function its that I started taking them when I didnt really need them for that high. I still have to take something for the pain now and then but I dont have access to my meds which is a good thing. Somedays I cant walk most nights I cant sleep because of the pain. Opiates are highly addictive hindsite is 20/20 when I started taking them they werent all over like they are now though. I never even heard of them now I dont even get the script filled until I have researched it lesson learned the hard way... sigh!
Old 03-15-2007, 07:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
grateful rca

i agree kj, all the research that i've done and all the people that i knew that has had the procedure done, says no for me. i saw that the one i need, has a 98%failure rate. when i stopped taking the pill i was told that i had to be weaned, and yes i guess that must have been why i felt the way i did. i don't have those feelings anymore, that was about 2ys ago, when i stopped taking them and i feel just fine mentally, i think.
Old 03-15-2007, 08:01 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Teke you seem fine to me but then again my opinion might not count lol..... My definition might be different than others just kidding. Your just great!
Old 03-15-2007, 08:07 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
grateful rca

what you think do count and i figure anyone who took pills ought to halfway know what they are talking about.LOL
Old 03-15-2007, 08:09 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

teke.

i just wanted to share my personal experiences - i started taking zoloft while pregnant after experiencing horrible anxiety (dr. felt zoloft was safest to take while pregnant) once i stopped breast feeding and hormones settled down zoloft wasn't doing anything and i stopped - never felt any dizziness or anything - i would skip a day and then after a week just stopped...

my sister in law had two discs in her back replaced - she didn't take pain killers but when her back would go out she couldn't move - the last time her back went out she was on the floor for a couple of hours before my brother got home - she had the surgery and took minimal pain meds and she seems to be good - her back has never given out in the three years since the surgery...

just wanted to throw that out there - hope you feel better soon - one way or another...

love,
s
Old 03-15-2007, 08:16 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
grateful rca

itis

oh my, this scares me, i have 5 disks in my neck that they want to replace, its been about 5 yrs now, and i am just scared to death to have this procedure done, even though it is effecting the whole left side of my body. what do you think?
Old 03-15-2007, 08:21 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

teke,

my husband had some neck/disk trouble that created numbness on one side of his body . after a car accident we were in - they gave him steroidal shots in between the discs - have you tried that?

it worked for him - but was scary to watch - huge needles, et al; i'm not good with needles...

love,
s
Old 03-16-2007, 03:36 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
grateful rca

Originally Posted by itiswhatitis... View Post
teke,

my husband had some neck/disk trouble that created numbness on one side of his body . after a car accident we were in - they gave him steroidal shots in between the discs - have you tried that?

it worked for him - but was scary to watch - huge needles, et al; i'm not good with needles...

love,
s
no i haven't yet, its time for me to go back to get a follow up, i'll see what the doctor say. was he able to return to work? do he have much pain now? mine is not numb, just very very weak on one side.
Old 03-16-2007, 05:38 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

My H became addicted to xanax after being prescribed for anxiety and panic disorder.
Old 03-16-2007, 06:15 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

My daughter first tried Methadone but she did not like feeling messed up. Her friend then gave her an Oxy. Of course she snorted it. Faster way to addiction. The Oxy gave her a sense of well being and energy and made her feel that she could accomplish anything. I believe she self medicated to cover up anxiety and generally feeling like she did not fit in or belong. Long story short, she now uses whatever opiate that she can get and has progressed to heroin. What started out as fun has totally destroyed her life. I was offered vicodin for my knee, refused it and found that I could get by with extra strength tylenol. Years ago I was given Tylenol 3 for a scratched cornea. I hated the way they made me sleepy and sick to my stomach. So it was easy to say no to Vicodin. My husband recently had a wisdom tooth extracted and was given vicodin for that. He actually had the doctor refill it. Although he is not abusing it yet, I worry because he used heroin when he was younger. Did not become addicted only because it was not easy to find and he did not have the money. Pharmacutical companies come up with stronger and stronger drugs and doctors are given incentives to prescribe them. Dangerous combination IMHO Marle
Old 03-16-2007, 06:48 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
grateful rca

this oxy, so its prescribed in powder form or is it a capsule with powder in it?
i think that this is so awful.seems like they ought to be able to come up with some alternative meds that are not so addictive, since there is such a big problem with addiction to these prescribed meds, do you think?
Old 03-16-2007, 06:52 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Oxy is a pill. You can get it in different milligrams. Color depends on what mgs. it is. There was a woman who lived up here and she had legitimate prescriptions for Oxy but she traveled around the state and doctor shopped. The police finally busted her and she is doing 20 in prison but they figured that she was selling about a half a million dollars worth of Oxy a year from her house. Both of her kids ended up doing time too for helping her deal. Marle
Old 03-16-2007, 07:08 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
grateful rca

i checked the pills that they gave me for a tooth extract5ion and they are propoxy, and some doxycycline for something. just looking at the latest prescriptions, ever heard of these. sounds like something that might be addictive, but before i get meds, i usually ask if they have something thats not addictive. aren't they suppose to tell you?
Old 03-16-2007, 08:14 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Teke - So scary when the side effects of meds sound worse than the problem. Read an article the other day about addictive personalities. I'm sure we can all use that as an excuse - there is so much to learn about our bodies but as a Christian I believe that we were created with that "empty space" but not to be filled with drugs, alcohol or sweets but with a love for our creator who has promised to always be there if we only ask.