Disney Movie seems hardly for children

Old 03-15-2007, 07:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Bridge CLOSED

Disney Movie seems hardly for children

Saw The Bridge to Terabithia tonight.. My God what a sad dark thing that is. I mean it is very real life like, but it is sooooo sad and rakes daggers thru your heart.

From the beginning to the end it just tore my heart out.

You see it? I would be real hesitant to take young kids to this movie. Hell, I felt bad taking my 80 year old parents to it.

This movie opened wide all the sorrow I have like a split in my soul. FWIW it has let me see wone thing about me that is important.

I hold ppl at arms length not because of anything other than I will love them (friends and partners) and I am so hurt by their walking away at some point (and they all do) that I cannot dare to allow the pain that causes in my life.

Thanks Disney for reminding me how painful my childhood at school was. I was watching the first part and I turned to my Dad and i said, "I HATED school!" It just came out (this was GS, MS and HS)... Ah well, the old scars have been wounded fresh..
Old 03-15-2007, 10:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Elana, I haven't seen it and I think I need to avoid it for now, so thank you. As a book, it was geared toward adolescents, not young children...excellent writing deserving of its awards, but I remember it being quite sad too.

I'm sorry that hurt resurfaced...Hugs
Old 03-16-2007, 03:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Bridge CLOSED

PM me if you want the details if you are thinking of seeing it. It is very well done. It is very close, I would say, to life in many of the sub plots and even the plot.

But, it is also heart wrenching and gut wrenching sad. It is not the fanciful imaginative trip the "Narnia" was for sure (and that is what I was hoping for.. well.. duhh.. I did not research it.. but that can spoil it too). There is fantasy IN it, but....

As my Dad said when we were leaving....
"Next time you want to go to a movie, let US pick it... " I agreed.

If I want a message I will call my answering maching and leave one.
Old 03-16-2007, 08:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

((((Elana))))

I have been feeling sadness too lately. I don't think it is necessarily bad. One thing that has come up for me is that in trying to suppress my sadness I have also been suppressing joy. As I have been doing breath work and allowing myself to fully feel this sadness I have stumbled upon a very deep pool that seems filled with endless joy. I see that by not allowing myself to fully feel this sadness that I have been able to remain stuck in blaming the others whom I have held responsible for my saddness. It is very interesting this processing feelings....maybe I will go see this movie.
Old 03-16-2007, 08:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Elana - I still cry when I see Bambi.
Old 03-16-2007, 08:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Bridge CLOSED

Well, I don't cry over Bambi.. too many deer too many years cost me too much on my farm. LOL

The Bridge to Terabithia is excellent in its acting etc. but it is really dark in a lot of ways.

BTW the boy in the story.. and the girl.. but especialy the boy.. reminds me so much of me. The girl does too.. b4 I got married and into this co dependency whirlpool.. that resulted from from my response to years of emotional abuse.

Life doesn't come with a book of instructions...
Old 03-16-2007, 01:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I amke it a point to research all movies for that reason. Disney is good for having movies , even cartoons not appropriate for all ages. Thank you for the warning