Why does this keep happening?

Old 06-19-2005, 10:06 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by nocellphone
Some people don't "get the hint". In fact, sometimes they escalate the behavior because they simply don't know the other person is uncomfortable. I find that boundaries work best when they're spoken aloud.

I couldn't agree more!
Thats true especially guys dont get hints hahaa but I'd say try that first cause you dont want tension with your landlord either by saying anything too harsh since you may need to communicate with him in future for repairs and bill issues or whatever!

I'd say figure out a really tactful way to let him know your not available, it could even be saying "well, my husband...." or "well, the guy im dating...."

And just make it seem like you always thought you guys were just friends so it isnt really a rejection.

I know its hard, but I know you'll figure it out and youll be alright.
Old 06-19-2005, 10:42 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

How about this for the return call (after a few more days of course):

Hi Mr. Mananger. I've been so busy and your call surprised me, I thought we had concluded our business. Is something wrong at my apartment?" And when he says no, then you can say something like, "I'm so glad, I'm really looking forward to being closer to the guy I love! I have to run, thanks again." And hang up.

A lie? Surely there's some guy you love there...a dog or some guy on TV.

It should convey that a)you're really busy b)you thought you were done with him and c)there's someone else in your life. If he doesn't get it then...he's a moron at the least and a real problem at the most. Might as well find out now instead of AFTER you move in.

Hopefully he'll get the hints and move on.
Old 06-20-2005, 06:42 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Cruelty-Free

It's prob'ly just me, but I wouldn't be comfortable with the idea of lying, making up imaginary boyfriends/husbands/lovers, and so on. My experience has been that lies usually end up coming back around to bite me in the a$$, and that honesty is indeed the best policy--even if it's uncomfortable to be honest.

I think it was Mark Twain who said something to the effect that, if you tell the truth, you never have to remember anything.

Of course, it was George Carlin who said that "dishonesty is the second-best policy". Of course, he ended up in rehab earlier this year... :scratchch
Old 06-20-2005, 07:10 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

To me, an imaginary boyfriend is very similar to recorded dog barks to make someone think you have a dog. It may seem silly but if they can help keep you safe without threatening anyone else (like having a weapon might), I'm all for it.
Old 06-20-2005, 09:21 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I think you may just be attractive...(It usually makes me feel better if I know other guys would be interested)....but I wouldn't want someone bugging me that I wasn't interested in..so, you could just blow him off..
Old 06-20-2005, 01:09 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

Savana-

I don't like it one little bit...this guy sounds like a creep to the inth degree...is he your landlord or just an apartment manager? Do not heed his advances and if he continues you need to report him to the company he works for. If he is the actual landlord I wish you would find another place to rent.
Old 06-20-2005, 01:11 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Yeah, dont have to lie... dont have to be too direct. I'm sure with some meditation you'll find a good way to pass this message, even if its simply never picking up the phone calls.
Old 06-20-2005, 05:22 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
too much on my plate!!

Well, it seems things have a way of working themselves out. He called again today and left a vm. It was actually in reguards to another apartment he had that I wanted to rent, that someone else was going to rent but decided not to. SO, I might be able to rent this one; which is so cute, it has a loft with a spiral staircase, and a gorgeous little deck that has a view of the City!!!! Its even affordable!! A little more money, but I really want this place.

He seemed pretty straight to the point, maybe he is getting the clue.