Random symptoms...

Old 03-23-2005, 08:17 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Search under "Addictive Personality." There is some really interesting reading there with many medical studies to substantiate what is being said here.
I have and I agree it does!! I'm not in opposition to 'much' of what is said on SR only the points that have actually argued against. I don't believe those points are in opposition to a belief in an addictive personality - but I would be grateful if you could point out any that are.
Old 03-23-2005, 08:31 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

I am definatly powerless over the addictions,actions,thoughts,spiritual condition,ect... of others......The only one that I can even come close to controling is myself and I can't even do that without help....from my HP which often comes through in words spoken by someone else. Perhaps your HP is urging you to seek the help that you have found......Believing that I am powerless was a very difficult conclusion for me to get to in my own recovery. Until I was able to admit that the addictions I faced were kicking my a$$,had me laying face down in dung with horses trampling over my back(spiritually that is) I stayed the same trying to control something that is uncontrolable and I was the picture of pitiful. I hope you don't have to go as far down as I did before the disease gets arrested at your house.
Old 03-23-2005, 08:42 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

^^ Splendra, people are individuals and I see so much that's good in AA/Al-Anon practice. I meant it when I said you need to read very carefully what I actually write.

But by the same logic - I am and individual and the only thing I really try to control is my own beliefs, my own reasoning and my knowledge, ALL of which I try to improve.

The issue regarding power and powerlessness is complex, but as largely I'm seeking power over my own learning I don't yet feel the need to tackle it to the full.

I would say you use much that shows you are trying to persaude me and yet argue at the same time that yuou are powerless to do that.

I see power in degrees and as something distinct from control - I see it in a different light and that is one of many reason why even step one couldn't be done by me in all sincerity. That however doesn't mean I haven't looked carefully at the 12 steps and seen things useful within them - I can see why it would work.

My mentality, my attitudes, my nature, who I am, would cause more disruption in Al-Anon than would be reasonable. But I can still gain something from parts of it's wisdom.

Allow me to be an individual, don't diagnose me or tell me my fate. Bring to light information but then leave me to decide for myself - acknowledge that it is possible I've picked the right path for me. If you can do this I promise to do the same in return.
Old 03-23-2005, 09:15 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

equus-

I know I am powerless over you. I don't want to try and convince you that I am right either. You have your process to go thru I respect that. Perhaps I have given you more information than you can process at this time. Also I am probably much older than you and have lived with addiction longer.....

Alanon does not work for everyone that is true enough. Niether does medical science BTW.... It think medical science and spiritual science needs to combine and work together to heal the people on our planet.

Now onething that I have always scored really high on is reading comprehention and math too for that matter and I have carefully read your post...I could put into a nutshell and say that you have a lot of faith in medical science but, I know that you are searching for answers and I do really hope you will find the answer you are looking for. For me the answer was take care of me and let others do the same for themselves. It is so simple it is almost mind blowing cause I just knew there had to be something that I could do to make the addicts in my life stop using. No nobody has stopped but, I have stopped trying to control the situation and I am at peace and life is so much better for me and my addicts too I might add.....
Old 03-23-2005, 09:22 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

I could put into a nutshell and say that you have a lot of faith in medical science
In it's process, yes but many of it's conclusions will change as new evidence comes to light.

I think we may have found our peace - I also know I cannot stop D from drinking, or make him get help.

I don't know where knowledge will lead me or how much of it I can get or understand what I do know is that it has been useful so far and just as you can see the benefits in your life I can see them in mine.
Old 03-23-2005, 09:29 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

I said alright already.....