loosing one self

Old 01-27-2005, 02:04 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Gracey - well done you! I have found counselling to be enormously helpful. I see a counsellor with whom I originally had couples counselling with my ex. I have continued to see him on my own. Even better - he only costs $50 for 2 hours! 2 hours when I can blether on about myself to someone who has to listen to me! Sometimes it's hard work and I come out feeling exhausted and other times it is really uplifting.

This is a great step for you to take.

Love

Minnie
xxx
Old 01-28-2005, 01:56 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Counselling is great for those who can afford it. Cheapest I could find was £35.00 an hour or $55.00 in Dollars.. But what other types of self awareness things can one do without the added expensive? Know about AlAnon..but husband won't let me go. Sorry don't mean to be rude.
Old 01-28-2005, 06:49 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Gracey

Bluester

I am sorry that your husband wont let you go........My H wouldnt let me go either...........because he felt threatened and he still thinks I am going to find someone there and have so much in common with them that I am going to leave him..............That may be his mind set but not mine....I decided that it is my choice whether I go somewhere for an hour a week.......and I shouldnt be made to feel guilty or bad...........or I shouldnt have to fight about it............so I turn his invitation down on Friday's to fight...........and I just go.............

I look so forward to my alanon meetings on Friday night....I didnt start going to alanon right away...............I found this site and this has been my main support system for a very long time........

My health insurance is covering my counseling appointments.......I am so thankful I have that........or otherwise I couldnt afford it myself.............but I know that somehow, or somewhere if you looked into it, you may be able to find something that is free............I no longer ask my H if he minds that I go.............I tell him I am going to my meeting, and I will be back in an hour..............he gives me hell about it every week..........I dont care..............I explain to him that going one day a week somewhere by myself, I deserve that.....I want to get healthier.......most alanon meeting are in a church, so I tell my kids I am going to church...........which I am................and we say the Lords prayer and we talk about our HP (which I choose God)......Everyday that I come here.............and every meeting I attend.........I am learning so much more about myself........and is making me feel better about myself.......and is giving me the courage and the strength, to become a happier, stronger individual..........

Through alanon...........I learned the proper tools that I need...........I learned that I did need to work on me.......this is about me and what I can do for myself so I can be happy.

Hope you can get to a meeting...........keep coming here there are alot of great things to be learned..

Old 01-28-2005, 06:57 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Bluester

Have you tried asking your doctor? I know that some docs have counsellors as part of the surgery and you can get some sessions free through the NHS. You might have a wait, but that's to be expected with our health service.

I found my counsellor through www.bacp.co.uk Some of them will do it cheaper if you are on a low income.

Best of luck.

Love

Minnie
xxx
Old 01-28-2005, 07:09 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I pray that everyone could be blessed with that 1 true friend.
So how do I apply?? :p

Gracey - I think it's beautiful how you value the friendship here and I think it's normal and healthy to want friendship. We are group animals, if we were meant to live in isolation then solitary confinment wouldn't be such a popular, worldwide torture.
Old 01-28-2005, 08:24 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I know what you mean Gracey...I too have seem to "lost" many friends, it is not that I am not friends with them it is that they no longer come around like they used to becasue of HIM...but then I let that happen becasue I have changed and I sit with him instead of seeing them. So not ALL his fault.....I take the blame for not being strong enough to stand up and be my own person