My Loved One died

Old 03-06-2024, 07:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question My Loved One died

My former spouse died a week ago. I had prepared myself for "that phone call" for 19 years. In my mind I knew it was a strong possibility. And told myself that repeatedly. But when I finally did get the call I always thought was coming, well my insides shattered. And it was as if I was reliving all of the sorrow and loss from the past. Praying constantly that his soul is at peace. Peace from the prison that came with alcoholism & addiction.

I joined this online group in January of 2005. I posted a lot on Friends & Family Members of Alcoholics. The members here were supportive and kind. One person was a counselor and offered some feedback. One suggested idea was for me to join Al-Anon. Well I did and continued with this online group and it's members as well. They made such a difference in my own recovery. I remain ever grateful for 12 Step recovery. I am still a member of Al-Anon. Both of my loved ones that qualified me have passed away. My Mom passed away in 2010 and my former spouse died a week ago. I still pray for them to rest in peace. The 12 Steps saved my life. The outcome in my life was not a happy one. Nevertheless, the program helped me to live healthier. Recovery was slow and still ongoing. But the members of the groups, the daily readings, going to meetings and following the steps were my life preserver. Addiction does not negotiate.
Old 03-06-2024, 08:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm very sorry for your losses, tch2rd2.

D
Old 03-06-2024, 08:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

I'm sorry to hear of your loss, but you are right. Even when we know it could happen, we are still never truly ready to get that call. I'm glad you are taking good care of yourself.
Old 03-06-2024, 08:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm sorry to hear that tch.

I'm glad you have support from your Al Anon group and of course you always have support here.

Old 03-07-2024, 02:38 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm very sorry for your loss.
Old 03-08-2024, 07:37 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I add my condolences to the others here.
It is a good thing for us to pray for our departed loved ones.