Codependency

Old 05-15-2022, 10:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Codependency

Hey all

This came up on my You Tube feed, I thought it was good so wanted to share.

Uncomfortable watching but helpful, I think. About 20 mins long.

Codependents THINK They're Just Being Nice But Here's the Brutal Reality - YouTube

Last edited by PeacefulWater12; 05-15-2022 at 10:40 PM. Reason: added time
Old 05-16-2022, 07:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Didn't finish the video which is good so far but she sums it up a couple of times by saying the 'codependent' is dependent on what happens in another's life. That's why many hang in a relationship with the hope once the alcoholic or addict changes their life will change for the better. I've heard some 'codependents' described as a fixer who is looking to help or actually fix/change a person.

That being said if one is actually waiting for a person to change, sober up etc that's a sign of a codependent.

The problem is there are frequently more issues at stake than emotional well being including family, finances, housing etc. when the physical & financial basics are co mingled(sometimes less than people think). This is why emphasizing independent living is so important including taking care of one's self.

Might not give a person solutions but they are much easier to obtain once everyone knows what is going on.
Old 05-16-2022, 10:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you. I watched most of it before work this morning. I haven't had a chance to finish it yet. One thing I found helpful when I was struggling with believing I was co-dependent was I download this document:

https://coda.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/2011-Patterns-of-Recovery-2015.pdf

There is a column for co-dependency behaviors on the left and I guess "normal" behaviors on the right. I looked at it honestly, went row by row - and highlighted all of my own behaviors. I was surprised by how many highlights I had on the co-dependent side, the only section where I didn't have much highlighted was for the Control Patterns, though there were a few highlights, but for Compliance Patterns, Low Self-esteem Patterns, Avoidance Patterns, and Denial Patterns - lots of highlights.

Last edited by firecricket; 05-16-2022 at 11:02 AM. Reason: forgot a pattern
Old 05-16-2022, 02:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by firecricket View Post
Thank you. I watched most of it before work this morning. I haven't had a chance to finish it yet. One thing I found helpful when I was struggling with believing I was co-dependent was I download this document:

https://coda.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/2011-Patterns-of-Recovery-2015.pdf

There is a column for co-dependency behaviors on the left and I guess "normal" behaviors on the right. I looked at it honestly, went row by row - and highlighted all of my own behaviors. I was surprised by how many highlights I had on the co-dependent side, the only section where I didn't have much highlighted was for the Control Patterns, though there were a few highlights, but for Compliance Patterns, Low Self-esteem Patterns, Avoidance Patterns, and Denial Patterns - lots of highlights.
As a numbers guy, I just had to count how many there were and how many I checked off on the co-dependent side. 55 total patterns, I checked of 33 of them, 60%

Avoidance, denial, low self-esteem, and compliance are off the chart. 5 categories, only 1 not majority co-dependent. Thank you for utterly ruining my might 😂 just kidding!!!
Old 05-17-2022, 12:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by timj120 View Post
As a numbers guy, I just had to count how many there were and how many I checked off on the co-dependent side. 55 total patterns, I checked of 33 of them, 60%

Avoidance, denial, low self-esteem, and compliance are off the chart. 5 categories, only 1 not majority co-dependent. Thank you for utterly ruining my might 😂 just kidding!!!
Oh no, I'm sorry!!! 😂 I have not counted, maybe I will do that later, not sure I want to know the exact number :/