What should I do?

Old 12-30-2019, 12:34 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Thank you.
Old 12-30-2019, 12:43 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by velma929 View Post
Put it in one of those "if it fits, it ships" boxes (does the PO still make them?) ***Mail*** it to ________ _________ , c/o Ex's Family name, Family Address, blah,blah, blah, and write "Personal and Confidential" in large letters on the box. I believe its still a federal offense to open another person's mail, so it can sit at their home until he gets around to it and if they open it, he may get mad, but you clearly did your best.

If you printed the label on your computer along with the 'personal and confidential' notation and glued it or taped it onto the box, it might even pass for something official.
Thank you I will do that. Im going through PO as its cheaper than UPS. I will do that label. And you're right if they open it and he gets mad I did my best. Mailing it is much easier than dropping off. I will send the note separately saying heres a box of the things he left behind and please give it to him.
Old 12-30-2019, 01:06 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mango212 View Post
Three things that can help in a situation like this:

1. Drop off the box at a central, neutral place.

2. Text him the information of where it is and that it needs to be picked up.

3. Call and stick to a brief script that can be said to him or his voicemail that simply follows up to the text message.

Keep in mind, none of this needs to be done perfectly. Balancing this afterwards with great self-care can be super helpful. Coffee or a gym workout. Connecting with healthy friends. Doing a load of laundry. Etc.
Thank you for advice. Last time I tried to meet up with him to give his stuff back he bailed blaming it on his family. When he bails, he doesn't answer his phone or answer a text. Safe thing to do is mail it back to his familys house along with a note saying please give it back to him. He wont be happy but all i want to do is do the right thing to give it to him. He even specifically told me not to contact his family so mailing is best optiowith as minimal contact as can be. I would drop it off but somehow that would make things worse. Once its gone, I'll be able to heal.
I go to the gym a lot and spend time with friends. It is helping.
Old 12-30-2019, 01:22 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SparkleKitty View Post
I understand you want to be at peace with everyone, but you are not the one throwing a wrench into that plan.

If you mail it to his family, and they go through it, it is because he did not take responsibility for getting it from you in the first place. It is another consequence of his own choices and behaviors. Consequences are things we all, as adults, have to live with every day, and it is no one's job to manage them but our own. Managing someone else's consequences is enabling behavior, and when we engage in it, we treat them like children. That is not a foundation for any adult relationship.

He has options for avoiding conflict with his family and has elected not to use any of them. He has options for dealing with his debt and he has elected to pretend it doesn't exist. These are his problems to solve, not yours. Allow him the dignity, as an adult person, to handle his own affairs.

Meanwhile, this stuff in your possession is keeping you focused on him and his well-being instead of your own. Let it go, so you can begin to heal.
I completely agree on consequences of his actions. Thank you. At least I tried to give it back to him and he refused and twisted and blaming me. And he told me to not contact any of his family either so thats why mailing is best option than dropping it off.

After I mail it off today, I will finally have that feeling of letting go so I can start to heal. I've had his stuff for 3 months and it's way too long. I want it to go back to him before the end of the year so next year is a new beginning to start off fresh.
Old 12-30-2019, 01:51 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SmallButMighty View Post
I don't know what his specific reasons are not retrieving his belongings and important paperwork. I do know that he knows you have it and don't want it. He knows it's bothering you. He knows that keeps him on your mind. He knows he still has some control over affecting you. He may be acting hateful now, but I'd bet my last dollar he would slink back around in a few weeks or months using that stuff as a reason to insinuate his way back into your life one way or another. Alcoholics don't like to give up their resources.

I hope you choose to rid yourself of his stuff one way or another, sooner rather than later. Releasing his belongings will sever a final tie and be best for your mental health. The sooner you aren't thinking about this the better. He is an alcoholic, you will never understand why he does and says the things he does and says, so I hope you decide not to waste any more of your energy trying to do the impossible.

I know it's hard, I'm sorry you have to deal with this at all.
Thank you! Honestly ever since the break, it's been really hard the last few months.
When he bailed to meet up with me a month ago, he blamed his family is the reason he didn't want to meet. He didn't give me a reason why he doesn't want to pick up his stuff but he asked me to discard it which I know doesn't feel right. And if i were to discard it, he would somehow use that against me in the future. That is why I'm mailing it back and leave a note to the family asking to give it back to him. I would drop it off but he told me not to contact any one in the family. I dont know why he doesn't want me to. I don't want to drop it off unannounced so best to mail with as minimal contact can be. He will be mad and hateful at me but at least i know to ignore it and i did the right thing.
Old 12-30-2019, 02:20 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HardLessons View Post
It will also cost you some amount of money to file in court. Might be throwing good money after bad.

You have to do what you have to do but my advice is to cut your loses & walk away. Hes an addict & this is a very bad situation for you to be in. Your health & well being are worth far more than what he owes you financially.
Yes I am in the US. And to me its not worth taking him to small claims and spending more money and time on him. It will cause more stress and drama.
He doesn't have any assets as I know of. He crashed his car last year and i found hospital work that it was related to alcohol withdrawals. After he told me he had a seizure out of the blue. His family got him another car after the accident and he lost it after a week. Unfortunately i feel sorry for this guy more then anything. Now i know he can't get a loan for a car and or a place on his own. He has to be dependent on someone else. And hes in his mid 30s is just sad and he still owes the state a lot of money. I am just glad i never co signed with him for anything but I did put up with a lot more than anyone would have .
I am just trying to move on and hopefully this pain and heartbreak im going through heals soon. First step is to forgive everything he has done including forgiving his debt. I am not expecting to be paid back cuz last time I asked he got angry and twisted stuff and thats when he threw my moms rehab that happened years ago back in my face. I just don't understand why he did that but time to mail his stuff back to family. If they go through it, not my fault I tried giving it back to him. Hes gonna be so mad but I dont care as long as its back to him before the end of the year Im good.
Old 12-30-2019, 02:22 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mango212 View Post
Good luck!

One day at a time. This stuff does get worked out.
Thank you. I hope so too. I just want to do the right thing give it back to him that way I can be at peace with my mind and heart. It may cause tension but at least im mailing it back by the end of the year and it can all be put behind me.
Old 12-30-2019, 02:46 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Chanelskie View Post
I would drop it off but he told me not to contact any one in the family. I dont know why he doesn't want me to
Because he doesn't want them hearing anything from you that contradicts what he has told them. He is trying to keep his ducks in a row and he doesn't want you messing with that.

Again I am sorry you are dealing with this, hopefully soon it will all be dealt with so you can heal and move on. Hang in there!
Old 12-31-2019, 01:23 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Because he doesn't want them hearing anything from you that contradicts what he has told them. He is trying to keep his ducks in a row and he doesn't want you messing with that.

Again I am sorry you are dealing with this, hopefully soon it will all be dealt with so you can heal and move on. Hang in there!
That is true. I just remember showing my friends the texts saying don't contact my family and they thought it was like a threat. Then 3 months later he contacts me, I tell him about his stuff and he blamed his family for not meeting up. I waited a couple weeks to cool things down.
I know he will be upset that I sent his stuff to the family house before the end of the year. but its the right thing to do . Everyone is right, if his family goes through it , I did my best. and it's not my responsibility. At least i left a note to the family saying please give it back and another note for him that i mailed his stuff back in the package that way he can't come back to me saying I never his things back.

Thank you for your advice. I hate this feeling I'm going through. 3 months since the break and I still have my days where I just feel so sad. I just hope it goes away soon.
Old 12-31-2019, 02:37 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Time away from him is your friend. Go easy on yourself. It will get better easier for you over time.

Those intermittent contacts can really take their toll on us. Can turn into 5 steps forward & then 4 or 10 steps back type of thing. In some relationships they cant be avoided because of financial reasons or children. In your case you don't have those type of entanglements.

Please take care.
Old 12-31-2019, 03:28 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HardLessons View Post
Time away from him is your friend. Go easy on yourself. It will get better easier for you over time.

Those intermittent contacts can really take their toll on us. Can turn into 5 steps forward & then 4 or 10 steps back type of thing. In some relationships they cant be avoided because of financial reasons or children. In your case you don't have those type of entanglements.

Please take care.
Thank you. I do believe time will heal. I was doing better on the 3rd month after the break but when he contacted me and then bailed and started fire again after I ask him to get his stuff and he still owed money. I felt like it beat me down again. After that deleted him off all social media after he started posting stuff like crazy (he never done that before), that's been helping. Still friends with family on social media but they are okay since they don't post anything about him.

But we did get 3 kittens together and were raising them together over the the last year and I still have them. At least I get to keep them but I knew he loved them cuz it did help with his depression. But after he move back in with family, he turned completely different.

After the stuff was sent off, I feel better but hopefully he doesn't contact me about it and say any negativity or blame me for his problems.
Old 12-31-2019, 04:16 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

If you can, it might be a good idea to block him from your phone, email, or any other means of communication. You don't ever have to speak to or hear from him again.
Old 12-31-2019, 05:19 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I am so glad you got to keep the kittens!
Old 01-04-2020, 06:14 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Update: The post office wouldn't let me mail the stuff back, they said I was too nice to mail it back and it was going to cost too much money to mail back. The letter I wrote to the family about mailing his stuff back got sent. I felt really good sending the letter how I feel and I was surprised I got a response. That wasn't expected. Mother texted me saying that she got the letter and thankful for opening my heart. She has no ill will towards me and doesn't hate me (cuz the ex made me feel this way when he told me to not talk to the family and blamed them for not meeting up with me). She understands im in pain and recovering as well. She also would like to meet me on monday to get the boxes from me so I don't have to mail it back. I was going to drop it off while she was at work but she said to put it on top of the trash cans and I told her I would like it to get into the right hands incase something bad happens to it. She agreed and best part no drama was created. I also wrote a short note for the ex in his stuff saying heres the stuff left behind. I took photos of the note and stuff so he can't say I never told him or sent him stuff in the future. Hes currently out on vacation with his siblings so he will be coming back to his stuff. I'm sure he'll be angry coming back to it but it is a consequence of his action. The box is labeled personal and confidential. And his documents are sealed in an envelope as well so if the family goes through it, then oh well. I'm just happy the mom cleared things up and is taking the stuff off my hands as she doesnt want me to spend money mailing it (we live in same town). Hopefully this turns out the best. Didn't expect to see the mom or talk to her but everything happens for a reason.
Old 01-04-2020, 06:18 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

I'm really glad that worked out for you Chanelskie and that his Mother contacted you. She sounds very nice. Are they normally the type of people that would go through someone's belongings or was that just an excuse.

Anyway, as you said, it's a result of his actions, not yours.
Old 01-05-2020, 01:20 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trailmix View Post
I'm really glad that worked out for you Chanelskie and that his Mother contacted you. She sounds very nice. Are they normally the type of people that would go through someone's belongings or was that just an excuse.

Anyway, as you said, it's a result of his actions, not yours.
Thank you. And she is very nice. Not sure if she will show that letter to the siblings as well as the ex did get one of them mad at me for no reason. And honestly, I have no idea they would go through his belongings but from living with him , he told me not to talk to the family as much and that he wouldn't leave his personal things with them. I dont know but I would say possibly yes especially since they just found out last year, when he ended up in the hospital twice for alcohol withdrawal including wrecking his car, they have been intervening in his life more than usual. He was absent in their lives for at least 8 years , would not come home for the holidays at all to celebrate. They said when I came in the picture, they saw him more than before and that i was the best thing to happen in his life. Hes not happy living with family but he's saying he needs to work on himself and thinks he can do the recovery by himself. This is when we went on break and so far the last few months, I personally don't think he's changed by the way he reacted towards me finding out about his financial state and finding his personal belongings he left behind. And if he got mad at me for that, I am sure he won't be happy that I gave it to the family but its the only way. His family may go through it to see what he left behind and see how they can help him. When i see his mom, I'm not sure what else she's going to say or ask but just keep it short and I wish them all the best.
Old 01-09-2020, 02:58 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

update: Mom wanted to meet on monday and she would follow up to make a time to meet. Last time I spoke to her was last thursday so a week now. My friends say I should message her but I dont feel comfortable. And my friends say I should go drop it off but I don't feel comfortable about that as well. I may as well just start mailing it off tomorrow and send all the stuff in multiple envelopes/boxes.
Old 01-09-2020, 02:54 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

How annoying! I would just take it over and dump it over the fence and text her to let her know you dropped it off.
Old 01-21-2020, 12:35 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Update: my friend & I went to drop the stuff off at the mothers house. My friend wasn't able to carry it herself so I had to help her carry it to the garage. And my friend gave the small box that had his yearbook & financial documents to the mom in hands and let her know the rest is in front of the garage. She said thank you to my friend. Nothing was said to me as I went back to the car so she didnt see me. I went shopping after to clear my mind and felt like a huge load was lifted off my shoulders. Luckily he wasn't there either but he doesn't live there. I'm sure she went through it but i left a small note for the ex in the box saying "heres your stuff back and that i forgive him for everything (lies, broken promises, debt) and all the hurt he has caused".

2 days later, I received a text from the ex. I thought it was going to be a bad text as I knew he would get upset. Surprisngly he texted nice saying "Got the box you left. Thanks. Happy new year. " I didn't respond but it was weird he texted nice after the last time he messaged me about the stuff was mean.

But now the stuff is out of my hands, I don't feel like a hostage anymore and he has nothing over my head anymore. I am slowly moving on and keeping busy.
Old 01-21-2020, 09:03 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

I am glad that worked out with his mom and that you’re feeling better.

A thought...you spent a huge amount of time and energy trying to control the uncontrollable (whether his family would go through his stuff) because you were afraid he would get angry.

The relationship is over yet you’re still dancing on eggshells around him...be careful. You are quite likely to end up in a similar relationship or end up back in the same dynamic with him...that text may well be a pause button in his mind.

Do you have access to a therapist who can help you with moving on? Mine was a huge help to me...