Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Alcoholics
Reload this Page >

I’ve noticed that a good amount of literature I’ve been reading up on...

I’ve noticed that a good amount of literature I’ve been reading up on...

Old 12-18-2019, 04:01 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Honeypig - so true, why try to understand something that doesn’t make sense to any rational person? After weeks of trying to decipher it and question myself (and being reassured over and over again that it did indeed make zero sense), I’ve just decided it’s saner to just stop trying.

Fionna - indeed, mine thought he was quite special too! Always trying to differentiate himself somehow (and even in the end basically telling me he couldn’t have deep conversations with me - because I guess I just don’t understand anything) - but it’s shocking how alike these stories all are. I wish I’d known then what I know now.
Old 12-18-2019, 05:30 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FionnaPerSe View Post
Well, i hope what i told him sticks with him somewhere in his mind, so one day he understands how his actions affect people around him.
I meant to reply to you yesterday Fiona and then got sidetracked. I'm sorry you were having such a bad day.

I see what you mean, is it fair to drag someone else in to your addiction. I think in many cases addicts don't think about it that much (some do, I'm sure), as has been said, it's a very selfish thing.

Also, even though some may realize, in terms of the selfishness, THEIR problem. situation is always SO much worse than anything you are going through (to them), so it gets brushed aside.

Hopefully what you said to him will have an impact, some day and fewer people will get hurt, because that's pretty much the way it always ends up.
Old 12-19-2019, 08:23 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

yes @trailmix, I really hope so too. The problem is because they themselves dont see it as a problem I suppose. That is why they involve others. But fair thing would be to then at least choose as partners those with same inclinations, meaning people who are into the same type of lifestyle. ALthough its not a solution, of course. But I mean, its so annoying how they usually pick one person who DOESNT drink and who wants decent and normal life, and then they mess with their mind. Which is simply not ok.

By the way, thanks for your concern- today is a bit better for me. Met some friends so trying to distract myself in a positive way.

@Abandoned yes I wish I knew all those things from the get go. But he kept it from me successfully for quite some time, plus I didnt have any previous experience with addiction in my surroundings, so didnt know what it even means. Well, the damage is done indeed i suppose, but hopefully we will come out stronger from this.

Old 12-23-2019, 11:05 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Thank you Trailmix - I did often wonder if the drinking was to treat some underlying depression or other issue, as they seemed to go hand in hand with him.
He drinks because he's an alcoholic! Lots of people suffer from depression and other mental illnesses but don't drink excessively. It's a good idea to keep reminding yourself when asking why: because he's an alcoholic.