Watching and waiting - Cycle of Abuse

Old 09-14-2019, 04:45 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hearthealth View Post
Do you have a job outside of the house? Could you leave a to go bag there? A friend had a to go bag in her car. The husband found it and kept all her important papers and pictures for himself. He had a ready made to go bag, discovered her plan and she lost it all.
No, I do not have a job outside the home at this time. In working on it. Its paramount that I find one so I can sock money away more easily and have some independence. Plus, if I hope to keep my home I need to have a job. I have to be careful, my husband is not a stupid man and reads me like a book.
Old 09-14-2019, 04:56 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

What about a renting a gym locker at the Y?

Also I suggest going there regularly not just for stress release and benefits but to get him used to you being out frequently and don’t always go the same times.

Meeting some women for coffee or tea downtown is a good cover for getting some job applications filled out and submitted.
Old 09-14-2019, 04:57 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

My mother had a to go purse. She was afraid of an apartment fire. Maybe put some pads on top.
Old 09-14-2019, 04:57 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HardLessons View Post
Teehee

Not sure what type of car you have trunk or hatch back - but if you look back there you should be able to find a hiding spot. Under spare tire compartment or sometimes there are compartments on either side in the back. If by chance you car has a spare tire compartment but no spare tire (happens on newer model cars - no spare tire) you would have enough room for a small suitcase. Otherwise can split your things up in small flexible bags. I don't think anyone would look back there if your emergency bags were concealed.

BTW - I have no direct experience but I would think un- ripened pears would make awesome projectiles for self defense. While you might be tempted otherwise (I know I would be) "Only to be used for emergency self defense purposes".
There is a spare tire compartment but the tire is in it. inll figure something out. My car is literally the be all family car. Its mine, my name only on the title, but it's used for everything. Matter of fact, my husband used it for himself yesterday. It just isn't safe to keep things in for a vet away. He even keeps my car clean inside and out. I'll figure something out.
The pears are just about ripe and will go into a pie. That will bring me some joy to have pear pie and its scent filling the air.
Old 09-14-2019, 04:59 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hawkeye13 View Post
What about a renting a gym locker at the Y?
Now that is a good idea, tho wish the Y was 24/7
Old 09-14-2019, 07:59 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

is there anywhere or anything in the house he does NOT go thru or check regularly? your winter coats, bathrobe, tall winter boots? if your phone is SAFE, you could start to take photos of important documents, so even if you don't have them with you, you have a record of them. small little steps.
Old 09-14-2019, 09:02 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

So if I am understanding you correctly you lack cash as you are not working yet and you are worried about somehow losing the house if you just up and leave?

I have forgotten if you've seen a lawyer yet but community property laws in your state will go some way toward easing your mind.

As for actual cash, is it possible that someone in your family can lend you money? Do you have a joint account, it is possible you could just take half the cash in your joint account(s) and leave? Unless he controls all the money too.
Old 09-14-2019, 09:35 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AnvilheadII View Post
is there anywhere or anything in the house he does NOT go thru or check regularly? your winter coats, bathrobe, tall winter boots? if your phone is SAFE, you could start to take photos of important documents, so even if you don't have them with you, you have a record of them. small little steps.
Most men do not clean, but my husband does. He was in the navy for over 10yrs and runs a very "tight ship". This man irons the bed sheets for petes sake, something I told him I'd never do when we started dating and is one of the few things he never bothers me about. I will find something; I will probably look for a bank and safety deposit box that are in my name only here in town. We don't bank in our new town because he likes the one we've had for over a year that is 35 min. away in the next town, so that should work out ok. With online banking and paperless statements, I can get a new email address, no checks, maybe a bank card, and keep it all concealed. Important documents are kept in the safe placed in the basement so I'm not sure what to do about a birth certificate unless I get a duplicate and having just got married, I only recently received my new SSCard.

I like the idea of taking pictures of important docs, but I may have enough time to get official duplicates and keep in the safe deposit box.
Old 09-14-2019, 09:38 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

How tech savvy is this guy? I wonder about cameras in the house...
Old 09-14-2019, 09:42 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trailmix View Post
So if I am understanding you correctly you lack cash as you are not working yet and you are worried about somehow losing the house if you just up and leave?

I have forgotten if you've seen a lawyer yet but community property laws in your state will go some way toward easing your mind.

As for actual cash, is it possible that someone in your family can lend you money? Do you have a joint account, it is possible you could just take half the cash in your joint account(s) and leave? Unless he controls all the money too.
Correct, all of my cash went into our home. I have zero of my own dollars (not that what he earns isn't mine too, but I have nothing left that is from my life before him except what is put into the home). And yes, I'm worried I will lose this home if I leave. I spoke about this with my advocate and if I decide I'm leaving, I could wait until he threatens me and call the police and have him removed from the home and place a restraining order against him.

No, I haven't contacted an attorney, but I'm making plans to contact ALL the attorneys in this town so that hopefully, should the day come we divorce and he seeks a lawyer here, he won't be able to because of the conflict of interest from them having visited with me about the same thing. That is the hope, anyway.

I'm not ready to leave yet. I have too many ducks to get in a row before I can even think of doing it and it will take time. First things first, I need a job. When I secure a job, I will open a new bank account in my name only and a safety deposit box. Then original document collection will follow.

Also extremely important, is that the RV needs to sell (I'm working on him to sell it sooner rather than later) this way I can pay off 2 credit cards that are in my name he ran up. When the inevitable comes, I don't want to be saddled with debt if at all possible. His earning capability is much greater than mine.
Old 09-14-2019, 09:44 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Re: how tech savvy he is, I also wonder if he knows who to install tracking software that tracks your internet activity, including what you type.

Be careful.
Old 09-14-2019, 09:46 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ariesagain View Post
How tech savvy is this guy? I wonder about cameras in the house...
He is tech savvy. He is an engineer and pilot. We have cameras around the entire home on the outside, not inside. If anyone leaves the home, there is notification of activity from the cameras. The cameras are real time and record 24/7. This can be good if he is ever inappropriate while we are outside, but otherwise, he can look at the cameras anytime he wants and see if i'm home, not home, outside, inside, etc.
Old 09-14-2019, 09:54 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

just an aside....i've always wondered WHY anyone would iron sheets???
Old 09-14-2019, 10:04 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AnvilheadII View Post
just an aside....i've always wondered WHY anyone would iron sheets???
In all honesty, they are super soft after ironing, or at least our sheets are, but again, I'd NEVER do it. He can have at it and I'll just enjoy for now.
Old 09-14-2019, 10:08 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

SOunds like getting a job is priority. Are you expecting resistance from him on that?

If so, the tried and true keeping up a credit rating in your own name is a good response. Also having your own money since all your resources are tied up now in the house and credit card debt in your name.

Interesting he ran up your cards. Does he have his own? Does he have credit issues from the past before you? These are telling details if so.
Old 09-14-2019, 10:31 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

It is VERY EASY to install an inside camera without your knowledge. They can be disguised as alarm clocks, speakers, lamps, electronic chargers or what not. Just google "Spy store" and you'll get an idea.

If you have a "smart" home, it is also very easy to track activity inside the home. I wouldn't be surprised if he turned on the microphones remotely every once in a while just for kicks..

He can recover data from your phone as well, so please get a burner phone if you haven't already.

Yes he may have OCD/other issues but that still doesn't give him the right to vomit his anxiety all over you.

the RV needs to sell (I'm working on him to sell it sooner rather than later)
Honestly, if I were your husband, and I wanted to control you, I would take my sweet time selling that RV. Why would I ever want to pay the credit card debt if it can effectively psychologically chain you to me? You're better off presuming that he won't sell that RV in the first place.

Given his current mental condition, you can't let him know what things are important to you - by doing that, you just give him additional ways to manipulate you.
Old 09-14-2019, 10:45 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

I'm not ready to leave yet. I have too many ducks to get in a row before I can even think of doing it and it will take time.

the longer you take, the more time HE has to continue to make it so you can't leave. you are already up a crick and now he's draining it. he talked you into selling off a big asset and throwing all the proceeds into this house. you have no source of income and he can easily limit your access to funds. he has you under surveillance. and on your hands and knees cleaning floors.

the thing is, it can and will get worse. i worry if you did try to get a job, he would simply disable the vehicle and prevent you from actually getting TO the job. assuming you two share a phone plan, he could easily cut YOUR phone off. or oopsie, drop it in the sink, remove the sim card, drive over it.

i suspect he already has a gps tracker on your car. and i fear your time is limited to make a break for it. this is all a big game to him. you are his plaything, his little science project and he's the mad scientist.
Old 09-14-2019, 01:27 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

The good thing is that I live in a 116 yr old home that has never had an alarm system or security cameras. I had them installed, not my husband, through a company I sought, not my husband, and I was the one who met them at my home and had everything wired, installed, and learned how to use the devices -- not my husband, so I'm not afraid of their use. Yes, he can see me come and go if he chooses to not work, but his job requires a lot of focus.

He is ready for me to get a job, that won't be a problem either. He would like to be able to spend more money than he does but I won't let that happen. I do control the purse strings, so here again I don't worry. Its just hard to put anything back at the moment which getting a job will help me do.

While I am not good with his behavior and find it very alarming and sometimes scary, I am very comfortable with my plan. If that plan has to change in the near future because of escalated unacceptable abusive behavior, then so be it, but until then I will work methodically to put things in place so that I am secure financially and in other ways, too.

I'm feeling confidant, more so than when I first started posting, because I am seeing what is going on, see the cycle, and I have a plan.
Old 09-14-2019, 02:40 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

You don't need a fancy security system to have hidden cameras. If you have a wireless internet access, you can add a remote hidden camera. Even if you didn't, you can get cameras that are completely self-contained that run on batteries and store the video on an SD card. If I seem so adamant about this, it's because a friend of mine was in a similar situation, (she did eventually get out.).

That said, you sound like you're in a good place. Just prepare for the unexpected, but it sounds like you're getting there.
Old 09-14-2019, 04:03 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

For a place to stash credit cards, flash drives with documents, even cash - how about at the bottom of a box of pads or tampons? Buy a big box. Your husband doesn’t strike me as the type who’d go poking into icky female things.

I have a friend (really - not me) who used to smuggle foreign currencies across borders in her box of tampons - guaranteed no male border guard would ever want to dump that out).