Alcoholic husband....need advice

Old 11-28-2017, 04:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcoholic husband....need advice

Hi everyone. First post for me and I am basically seeking any advice you can give me. My husband is an alcoholic. He won't admit or accept this and therefore is not getting treatment/help for his addiction. It is badly affecting our marriage and I don't know what to do. I have tried talking to him but we just argue. We have two young children and i dont want them to grow up in this environment. I have no idea where to start. What treatment is available, where to seek help etc or whether I should just go (which is what he often tells me to do). Can anyone offer advice or point me in the right direction?
Old 11-28-2017, 04:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I just posted tonight for the first time too.

My position is he’s working on sobriety I will stick by him. If he’s not I’m gone.

I have 3 children and live in a HCOL area. I spend a lot of time thinking about how I will do I in my own. I wish I coul trust that my h will stay sober but I’m almost preparing for him not being able to.

I went to an Al Anon meeting but it’s really hard to go when you are the primary caregiver. I found it helpful.
Old 11-28-2017, 05:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Take care of yourself and your kids.
See a therapist. Or a pastor. Someone trained to counsel someone going through a traumatic time.
I’m just learning this myself, but the years of hateful comments one day and over attentive concern the next day is called “abuse”. No one got hit, but it’s emotional abuse. And it causes lasting damage.
Old 11-28-2017, 06:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Angrymarble View Post
I just posted tonight for the first time too.

My position is he’s working on sobriety I will stick by him. If he’s not I’m gone.

I have 3 children and live in a HCOL area. I spend a lot of time thinking about how I will do I in my own. I wish I coul trust that my h will stay sober but I’m almost preparing for him not being able to.

I went to an Al Anon meeting but it’s really hard to go when you are the primary caregiver. I found it helpful.
Thank you. I will check ot some local Al Anon meetings. I wish you all the best in your journey.
Old 11-28-2017, 06:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Challenger2013 View Post
Take care of yourself and your kids.
See a therapist. Or a pastor. Someone trained to counsel someone going through a traumatic time.
I’m just learning this myself, but the years of hateful comments one day and over attentive concern the next day is called “abuse”. No one got hit, but it’s emotional abuse. And it causes lasting damage.
Thank you. I think deep down I know I need to get out. Even if only to allow him to hit rock bottom and get the help he needs. It is a tough battle when they won't even acknowledge the problem and just pass the blame.
Old 11-28-2017, 06:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

kids first. make them your filter, not him. he won't even admit there IS a problem. this means HE doesn't have a problem. YOU do.

put your worry and energy into what will make life best for you and your children. you deserve a calm quiet home, safety and sanity.
Old 11-28-2017, 07:14 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome,

You state: "What treatment is available, where to seek help etc or whether I should just go (which is what he often tells me to do). Can anyone offer advice or point me in the right direction?'

Are you talking about yourself or him. As Anvil said, he doesnt have a problem so not sure why you would be seeking help for him. Now if this is help for you there is a lot of help. When I was seeking support during my divorce, I attended to open AA meetings and two alanon meetings a week plus SR every evening for 10 straight months. I was very sick and it took a long time for me to grasp the program, understand it and execute what I needed to do.

You AH (alcoholic husband) is no special snowflake, he is an addict. They all want the same thing, they want to be left alone to drink, in peace. If you can keep living like that, its great. But at some point it becomes unbearable for you and your kids. It only took me 34 years with my addict in my my life to understand that.

Theres lots of help, education is power. In alanon they say not to make any rash decisions for 6 months. Try and hit a therapist if you can, just work on you. Then in time you will have a clearer pix of what you want /need to do.

Keep posting, we are here 24/7. Hugs!!
Old 11-28-2017, 07:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

From my experience the fact that he won't admit he has a problem and is telling you to go means he is a long way from admitting he has a problem, let alone addressing the problem. My ex did the exact same thing and when he would tell me to "just go" I would then feel bad for wanting to leave and not sticking by him. Or when he could no longer deny the problem he would promise to change, but that never happened, it just gave me enough hope to stick around. You can find all the treatment programs, there are tons - but if he won't admit he has a problem and is ready to make a serious change, it won't matter. He has to be ready to change, not forced into it.

I did leave eventually and he became out of control with his addiction and was not even close to his rock bottom, it was awful to watch from a distance and would have been even worse to continue to live with. I thought leaving would be THE thing that would make him hit bottom - NOPE.

I don't have the answers of what you should do or what you can live with, but I think if you keep reading on this forum you will find so many stories that will show you what is coming if you stay. It is not pretty and it is devastating to live through.

I do feel like the things I would hear about or read about seemed like there is no way he would ever do that and I just could never imagine that being our situation, but eventually he got there, it is progressive, it will only get worse without serious treatment, sobriety, and recovery. I had to live it to believe it could ever get as bad as I had heard, I hope you don't have to go that route.

Take care of yourself.
Old 11-28-2017, 07:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Dani.....here is a link to our extensive library of our excellent articles on alcoholism and the effects on the loved ones.....I hope you will take time to read through them...
Knowledge is power.

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...c-reading.html (Classic Reading)
Old 11-28-2017, 07:33 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AnvilheadII View Post
kids first. make them your filter, not him. he won't even admit there IS a problem. this means HE doesn't have a problem. YOU do.

put your worry and energy into what will make life best for you and your children. you deserve a calm quiet home, safety and sanity.
Thank you. My boys deserve the best. They need me to be tough.
Old 11-28-2017, 07:36 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Dani.....please check out the l ink that I posted two minutes before your last post...lol...!
Old 11-28-2017, 07:38 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LostinLB View Post
From my experience the fact that he won't admit he has a problem and is telling you to go means he is a long way from admitting he has a problem, let alone addressing the problem. My ex did the exact same thing and when he would tell me to "just go" I would then feel bad for wanting to leave and not sticking by him. Or when he could no longer deny the problem he would promise to change, but that never happened, it just gave me enough hope to stick around. You can find all the treatment programs, there are tons - but if he won't admit he has a problem and is ready to make a serious change, it won't matter. He has to be ready to change, not forced into it.

I did leave eventually and he became out of control with his addiction and was not even close to his rock bottom, it was awful to watch from a distance and would have been even worse to continue to live with. I thought leaving would be THE thing that would make him hit bottom - NOPE.

I don't have the answers of what you should do or what you can live with, but I think if you keep reading on this forum you will find so many stories that will show you what is coming if you stay. It is not pretty and it is devastating to live through.

I do feel like the things I would hear about or read about seemed like there is no way he would ever do that and I just could never imagine that being our situation, but eventually he got there, it is progressive, it will only get worse without serious treatment, sobriety, and recovery. I had to live it to believe it could ever get as bad as I had heard, I hope you don't have to go that route.

Take care of yourself.
Thank you for sharing your story. I am sorry you had to go through that. To be honest I really wonder if we are at that point already. I couldn't imagine much worse. He spends all our money on alcohol, he is nasty (not physically), in and out of jobs and it is making me sick. I really needed to share my story so that I could admit how bad it is. Thank you for listening.
Old 11-28-2017, 07:40 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=dandylion;6689774]Dani.....here is a link to our extensive library of our excellent articles on alcoholism and the effects on the loved ones.....I hope you will take time to read through...

Thank you! I will definitely have a read now. I have zero understanding of alcoholism etc so this will help a lot.
Old 11-28-2017, 07:53 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Dani.....Many of the alanon meetings have babysitting available...and, if the kids are old enough you can take them with you...
lol...I don't know what KCOL stands for?
You can, also, call the local domestic abuse organization....and talk to them, confidentially, on the phone. You don't have to be physically hit to be abused, or to be in an abusive situation.
These people are very understanding and not judgemental, at all.
Abuse can be emotional, financial, etc.
They have lots of resources at their fingertips that you may not even be aware of.....

Also. you might want to check out the following website, to organize your thoughts before you go to see a lawyer.....to find out what all of your rights are....

www.womansdivorce.com
Old 11-28-2017, 08:09 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=dandylion;6689792]Dani.....Many of the alanon meetings have babysitting available...and, if the kids are old enough you can take them with you...
lol...I don't know what KCOL stands for?
You can, also, call the local domestic abuse organization....and talk to them, confidentially, on the phone. You don't have to be physically hit to be abused, or to be in an abusive situation.
These people are very understanding and not judgemental, at all.
Abuse can be emotional, financial, etc.
They have lots of resources at their fingertips that you may not even be aware of.....

Also. you might want to check out the following website, to organize your thoughts before you go to see a lawyer.....to find out what all of your rights are....

Thank you so much. Just read the post about the merry go round. Very interesting read. Maybe I need to check out alanon.
Old 11-28-2017, 09:41 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Dani, welcome to SR. It seems like you have an open mind and are willing to learn. Those 2 things will help you so much as you begin to understand where you really are at this moment versus where you thought you were and where you'd like to be.

Wanted to point out that if you find that a particular member's posts really resonate w/you, you can follow that member's story by doing the following: Click on the member's name on the left side of your screen. You'll get a drop-down list offering several options. The one we're interested in for this purpose is "Find all threads started by Member." Using the "find all threads" option, you can find a person's initial post and then follow their progress up to the current time. This can be really helpful in seeing where folks were when they came here and what they've learned along the way.

Wishing you strength and clarity. Hope you continue to both read and post here.
Old 11-29-2017, 12:34 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by honeypig View Post
Dani, welcome to SR. It seems like you have an open mind and are willing to learn. Those 2 things will help you so much as you begin to understand where you really are at this moment versus where you thought you were and where you'd like to be.

Wanted to point out that if you find that a particular member's posts really resonate w/you, you can follow that member's story by doing the following: Click on the member's name on the left side of your screen. You'll get a drop-down list offering several options. The one we're interested in for this purpose is "Find all threads started by Member." Using the "find all threads" option, you can find a person's initial post and then follow their progress up to the current time. This can be really helpful in seeing where folks were when they came here and what they've learned along the way.

Wishing you strength and clarity. Hope you continue to both read and post here.
Thank you. That is really helpful to know. I guess I didn't realise quite what a journey I am in for. Is there hope? And when do you know that there is no hope? My concern is my children. I don't want to drag them along on this journey if it is just going to cause them pain.
Old 11-29-2017, 01:29 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Danidaydream...I am not sure which "journey" you are talking about (in regard to your children)...?
Can you explain.......please..
Old 11-29-2017, 02:03 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dandylion View Post
Danidaydream...I am not sure which "journey" you are talking about (in regard to your children)...?
Can you explain.......please..
Hi. Sorry, what I mean is if I choose to stay, we have a long road ahead in terms of recovery, possible relapses etc. My children are 1yr and 2yrs old at the moment so hopefully don't understand what is going on. As they get older though, they will. Do I put them through all that? My husbands father was also an alcoholic and died young from alcohol related issues. I don't want my boys to grow up around it too and turn out just like their dad. I hope that makes sense. Sorry, this is still all so overwhelming.
Old 11-29-2017, 04:05 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Dani....of course, this is a lot to absorb in a short period of time...and, is bound to be overwhelming.....very understandable....
I think your concerns are very valid....
Take your time...and focus on what is in your and the children's welfare...as that is what you actually have control over....
This, I believe, is the time to learn and to build support for yourself...as you process things....
You will get through this...just as so many others have...and stronger, for it.......