Nice things I am doing for me today.

Old 08-30-2017, 11:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Nice things I am doing for me today.

I thought I would start a positive, self care thread.

Ok so today I am doing a few chores in my home and then taking myself off to town to treat myself to some new clothes in my favourite clothes shop. Then go for a nice cup of coffee.

Home for the afternoon, few more chores and then I have a couple of murder mysteries recorded for me to enjoy.

It's a nice crisp, cold day here so will be wearing snuggly warm coat, cute jeans and boots to town.
Old 08-30-2017, 11:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Would love to hear what other members are doing for themselves today.
Old 08-31-2017, 12:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I hope I'll pick up some hints from this thread! I self-neglect as a form of self-harm and desperately trying to break that cycle so look forward to hearing how you all take care of yourselves! X
Old 08-31-2017, 08:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Have fun, Sylvie. Sounds lovely plans you have.

UpsideDown, I also see to neglect myself. Never occurred to me to look after myself. I learnt to. Was very uncomfortable at first but over time it got comfortable and natural feeling. Is completely automatic now. I eat very healthily, lots of fluids, rest well, relax, am kind to myself. I have set meal times and bedtime routine. This was the biggest help. Brings sustained energy and stable blood sugar. Stops energy crashes and becoming frazzled. Lots of other things, these are first that come to mind.
Old 08-31-2017, 08:15 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I am headed for the river after work to catch a fish, or 10
Old 08-31-2017, 08:34 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Well, my daughter has a game tonight, so I will go watch her play, and sit with the other moms and enjoy that. It's always fun. I then plan to go to the park and walk my dog.

Nothing exciting, but it will be good.
Old 08-31-2017, 09:53 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

This week already I've done a 48-hr fasting/detox & had a 60-min acupuncture treatment.

Last night I soaked in Epsom salts, did a homemade facial & scraped/cut/filed down my nails in preparation of a DIY mani/pedi later tonight.

I got up early today so that I could finish 95% of my chores before work (didn't have much) and squeeze in some cardio. I'll finish up with yoga & meditation after dinner.

After work today I am off for a 4-day weekend & intend to enjoy & relax through every possible minute of it! At this point I have nothing official planned but that is very likely to change...
Old 08-31-2017, 10:49 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Lee - sounds like the most perfect day! I needed to read this today. I've taken very poor care of myself this week and was pulled into taken care of others. As a result I ended up with another run of sickness. Feels like a flu but I am just craving rest. I am watching my sister's children for the last time as I am starting a new job next week.

When she gets home and I leave I am going to treat myself to a good rest and dive into my book. Since I'm under the weather this will take place in my big comfy bed with my dog
Old 08-31-2017, 12:25 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I have really gotten into DIY crafts, especially papier-mache, decoupage and collages. Nothing artistically amazing at all (my fine-motor skills are pretty bad) but it's great to be creating something.
Old 08-31-2017, 02:08 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Smarie...speaking of doing things for yourself.....is your girl's trip to Las Vegas still on?
Old 08-31-2017, 04:53 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I dropped off my daughter at camp, then took my day off for myself. Dropped off documents to lawyer, shopped, went to a coffee shop and did a bit of work, and got a much needed haircut.
I have to journal tonight. Have been having some emotion-driven slips of Co dependent behavior.
Old 08-31-2017, 05:19 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LeeJane View Post
I thought I would start a positive, self care thread.

Ok so today I am doing a few chores in my home and then taking myself off to town to treat myself to some new clothes in my favourite clothes shop. Then go for a nice cup of coffee.

Home for the afternoon, few more chores and then I have a couple of murder mysteries recorded for me to enjoy.

It's a nice crisp, cold day here so will be wearing snuggly warm coat, cute jeans and boots to town.
Had breakfast with my son and daughter / cold but very sunny - even got some reflection time in when I got to work. (Cheating a little with transgressing to last night a little but had a good Al anon meeting) Al anon and SR are recovery and learning staples for me now
Old 08-31-2017, 11:07 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks for the lovely responses.

Today I am going for a walk in the sunshine, stopping off for a coffee along the way. Got a few chores to do to get ready for the weekend. I love doing household chores now. Fulfilling.

I will have three healthy and tasty meals today, plenty of drinks in-between. I am at my target weight and enjoying maintenance of it. I go to a slimming group which I love. I no longer punish myself with food.

Have a good day everyone.
Old 09-01-2017, 08:13 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Today I committed to doing yoga every day for 30 days straight. I've practiced for more than a decade & probably squeeze it in even during my craziest weeks at least 2x, even for at least 15 mins or so... but I've never committed to it for more than 7-14 days in practice.

When I did challenged myself to stick with daily meditation for 21 days in April, it stuck & now I'm almost 6 months into that habit. It's benefits have been undeniable & I know this experience has the same potential.
Old 09-01-2017, 09:03 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi LeeJane what a great thread! I too am rubbish at self care. My twisted brain tells me that sobriety is all I need to do bit that's not right. I want to keep doing a little more each week to combat the negative thinking. I took my daughter's to our favourite farm shop cafe today for a lovely lunch. It's quite expensive but they are back to school next week so what the heck!
We then went to Asda and stocked up on healthy food and got some last bits of uniform for them. Stir fry for dinner and a little walk to feed the donkeys in the field near where we live.
I'd like to keep everything nice and calm and organized for their return to school so let's see how that goes.....happy Friday all xxx
Old 09-02-2017, 12:46 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Lovely posts, thanks again.

Today I am getting together with my slimming club group. For laughs, encouragement and motivation. Oh and bad coffee! Yuck.

I just enjoyed a fabulous breakfast if oatmeal with raisins and yogurt, plus toast.

Will pop into the shops to get new hair products. relaxing afternoon planned watching some TV.

Wearing pretty clothes, I notice when I dress nice, I feel much better. I have thrown away my"miserable" clothes. Baggy, dark coloured, tatty stuff!
Old 09-02-2017, 01:29 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Late to the thread, but glad for the chance to join in!

I was able to get a co-worker to fill in for me on Monday so I actually have a 3-day weekend for Labor Day (bakeries never rest, or seldom--we only CLOSE on Christmas Day, although typically New Year's Day is so slow that we delivery drivers do not work).

I am ECSTATIC at the idea of 3 whole days in a row off! Yesterday after work I took care of a few "list items", including mowing the lawn (about a 3-hour job!) and going to the bank. That may not seem like self-care, but it IS, b/c now those particular monkeys are off my back!

I am meeting a friend for breakfast today at this place: Blue's Egg » Menus (check "basics", "brunch" and "browns" to really make yourself hungry!) She was a pastry chef at the place where I work, and we've known each other a few years. She left just a week ago and I'm hoping to stay in touch w/her. She is 31 and I can only say I wish I was HALF as grounded and in touch w/what I wanted and deserved when I was her age--heck, I wish I had that NOW!!

After that, grocery shopping (which I do enjoy) and then home for some time w/my dogs and perhaps w/my much-neglected spinning wheel and/or crochet hook...

Wishing everyone here a great weekend, full of opportunities for recharging, renewing and joy!
Old 09-02-2017, 03:19 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I am saying 'no' to drunk bloke tagging along with me to the church event that I've been looking forward to.

I need to keep reminding myself that this is a sane and considered decision:

1) He is barely sober
2) He is in sligtly drunk but trying to prove self sober by ranting at the TV mode
3) He's edgy because he doesn't (yet) know how he injured his leg last night
4) He doesn't know what to do with himself because he's trying to not start drinking til late afternoon

Thing is, ALL the above makes him bad company. If he comes with me he will be whiney and critical. He is not at all interested in the event, he just wants to be central to everything. so. NO!

No No No No No.

I will not allow my day to be hijacked.

I will not go into battle with my codependent streak on this one. I will listen to it and tell it that it is erronious in it's judgement.

Can you tell, I'm kinda struggling with this. Insanity isn't it!!

BB
Old 09-02-2017, 04:00 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

This is huge, BB--stick to your guns!
Old 09-02-2017, 06:12 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Berrybean View Post
I am saying 'no' to drunk bloke tagging along with me to the church event that I've been looking forward to.

I need to keep reminding myself that this is a sane and considered decision:

1) He is barely sober
2) He is in sligtly drunk but trying to prove self sober by ranting at the TV mode
3) He's edgy because he doesn't (yet) know how he injured his leg last night
4) He doesn't know what to do with himself because he's trying to not start drinking til late afternoon

Thing is, ALL the above makes him bad company. If he comes with me he will be whiney and critical. He is not at all interested in the event, he just wants to be central to everything. so. NO!

No No No No No.

I will not go into battle with my codependent streak on this one. I will listen to it and tell it that it is erronious in it's judgement.

Can you tell, I'm kinda struggling with this. Insanity isn't it!!

BB
Sounding strong. Good work.

I relate to all you have written. My AH used to try and invite himself along to events and then be a moaning nuisance. My friends AH once invited himself along to a girls get together over breakfast. For goodness sake. It was horrendous.