Trying to practice self love

Old 04-24-2017, 07:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Trying to practice self love

I woke up this morning, and again just started crying, missing my AXBF and decided to call into work bc my pinched nerve in my neck has been acting up and I honestly just didn't feel like being around humans (I'm a hair stylist). So I went and ate at this magical Egyptian spot in my neighborhood, and then went and got two 90-minute acupressure massages, back to back. Yes folks, you read that correctly. I had my body rubbed down for 3 hours. I then went over to my best friends house and cried to her for an hour, and she reminded me that I have the biggest heart anf did everything I could for that miserable butthead.

Now I'm eating gas station donuts and passion fruit iced tea, laying in bed and watching Seinfeld.

I'm still so angry at the world and I miss my boyfriend so much... but i tried to make the best of this crappy day, and I think I somewhat succeeded.

For those of you hurting, god knows I'm hurting too; emotionally, physically and mentally.... but it's nice to know that you guys are somewhere out there, also.... and thanks for making me feel less pathetic.
Old 04-24-2017, 07:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I think taking the day off and getting a 3 hour massage is a great start.
Hang in there. Take good care of yourself. It gets better.
Old 04-24-2017, 07:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by loveandmagic View Post
I woke up this morning, and again just started crying, missing my AXBF and decided to call into work bc my pinched nerve in my neck has been acting up and I honestly just didn't feel like being around humans (I'm a hair stylist). So I went and ate at this magical Egyptian spot in my neighborhood, and then went and got two 90-minute acupressure massages, back to back. Yes folks, you read that correctly. I had my body rubbed down for 3 hours. I then went over to my best friends house and cried to her for an hour, and she reminded me that I have the biggest heart anf did everything I could for that miserable butthead.

Now I'm eating gas station donuts and passion fruit iced tea, laying in bed and watching Seinfeld.

I'm still so angry at the world and I miss my boyfriend so much... but i tried to make the best of this crappy day, and I think I somewhat succeeded.

For those of you hurting, god knows I'm hurting too; emotionally, physically and mentally.... but it's nice to know that you guys are somewhere out there, also.... and thanks for making me feel less pathetic.
I am sorry for what you are going through. Allow yourself to grieve. It is normal to be upset and you have the right to eat as many gas station donuts as you want right now.

You aren't pathetic. You are human and you are entitled to grieve a lost love.

Take care of yourself. Thoughts and hugs.
Old 04-24-2017, 08:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

^^^^ this made me laugh and cry LaM. Maybe you should write. You sure have the trick of specific detail down

Big congrats on giving the self-care thing your all

And you are not pathetic you are just normal . . . .argh . . . .big hug. We have all experienced some flavor of this off the wall grief.
Old 04-24-2017, 09:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

This is a great resource for self compassion that I love....

Definition and Three Elements of Self Compassion | Kristin Neff
Old 04-24-2017, 09:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mylifeismine View Post
This is a great resource for self compassion that I love....

Definition and Three Elements of Self Compassion | Kristin Neff
Omg thank you, this is truly fantastic. I'm amazing at being compassionate towards everyone but myself.
Old 04-24-2017, 09:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

loveandmagic, I found the most amazing massage/reiki person shortly after I'd filed for separation from XAH. I was just feeling so broken, lonesome and consumed w/sorrow, and I needed to be touched w/compassion and kindness. She was just the person I needed to find at the time.

I normally scheduled 1-hour appointments w/her, but after the first few, she would give me 2 or 2-1/2 hours for no additional cost (she is a solo practitioner and does not seem to have a jam-packed schedule, I think b/c what she does is not necessarily what most people looking for a massage are expecting). I scheduled a massage for the day XAH and I were going to court for the separation and I don't think I could have lived w/o seeing her. She is truly a healer, and she has helped me in my recovery in ways that only she could have.

Your self-care sounds totally appropriate to me! And the reading about self-compassion is wonderful; I will be saving this one.
Old 04-24-2017, 09:41 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Empathy to you. I know about self-love but cannot feel it. ANYTHING that helps day by day- which is productive is good. Do you go to al-anon or support group stuff?
Old 04-24-2017, 09:54 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PhoenixJ View Post
Empathy to you. I know about self-love but cannot feel it. ANYTHING that helps day by day- which is productive is good. Do you go to al-anon or support group stuff?
Unfortunately there are zero al-anon groups that fit with my work schedule in the area. This website is the closest thing I've got, and it helps me sometimes realize I made the right decision leaving him bc I have zero control over his drinking, and I couldn't let it drag my life down anymore, even though I'm still so in love with all the beautiful things about him and the good parts of our passionate, loving relationship. Ugh, I'm crying just thinking about it. I love that stupid boy.
Old 04-25-2017, 12:29 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

that is where self HAS to kick in. Looking after yourself first.
Old 04-25-2017, 03:28 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

^^^^ this made me laugh and cry LaM. Maybe you should write. You sure have the trick of specific detail down
I second bekindalways!

Two massages back to back makes perfect sense.

When my ex-fiance broke up with me, my parents hosted a picnic in our backyard and invited close family and friends. We ordered a whole roast pig and named it after my ex.

Was it petty? Yep. Was it a little odd to throw a party to celebrate the demise of my relationship? Probably. But it was still a very beautiful day, and I was going to take what I could get.
Old 04-25-2017, 03:58 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

The Mighty website often has good pieces on mental health/addiction/illness and I just read this one yesterday -
https://themighty.com/2017/04/self-c...overy-secrets/

Lots of good ideas. Sounds like you did a good job at self care when you really needed it!
Old 04-25-2017, 04:26 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Yes folks, you read that correctly. I had my body rubbed down for 3 hours.

This is definitely a step in the right direction on taking care of you. It is so hard I know but you seem to be doing as well as can be expected. Lots of hugs n love to you x
Old 04-25-2017, 06:48 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Good for you! That sounds like a good "me" day, and we all need those!

Hugs!
Old 04-25-2017, 07:44 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hugs to you! I hope that today is a brighter day. When I was getting ready to leave my XAH and I was grieving the loss of our family and the plans we had made for the future, etc. I made sure to do a lot of self care. I got foot massages, pedicures, and tried to get a full body massage once a month or so if I could afford it. I honestly believe that doing just one thing for yourself everyday is so important to our own mental health.

I remember my old sponsor telling me, "Nothing is forever. Everything we are experiencing is temporary. Life will look different a year from now."

I needed to remind myself that in 6 months or 1 year or whatever, that my life would most likely be very different physically (maybe where I was living or where i was spending my free time, etc), emotionally (I would have grown and learned more about my own emotional health), and spiritually (I would have withstood another year of trials and tribulations and I would be practicing serenity and grace along the way).

Focus on you this week, focus on growing and learning, and let yourself grieve peacefully. Sending you lots of support today.
Old 04-25-2017, 08:09 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lizatola View Post
Hugs to you! I hope that today is a brighter day. When I was getting ready to leave my XAH and I was grieving the loss of our family and the plans we had made for the future, etc. I made sure to do a lot of self care. I got foot massages, pedicures, and tried to get a full body massage once a month or so if I could afford it. I honestly believe that doing just one thing for yourself everyday is so important to our own mental health.

I remember my old sponsor telling me, "Nothing is forever. Everything we are experiencing is temporary. Life will look different a year from now."

I needed to remind myself that in 6 months or 1 year or whatever, that my life would most likely be very different physically (maybe where I was living or where i was spending my free time, etc), emotionally (I would have grown and learned more about my own emotional health), and spiritually (I would have withstood another year of trials and tribulations and I would be practicing serenity and grace along the way).

Focus on you this week, focus on growing and learning, and let yourself grieve peacefully. Sending you lots of support today.
I'm desperately holding onto the idea that I won't feel this way forever. And I'm trying to convince myself that the person I love doesn't exist anymore.

Thanks for the love
Old 04-25-2017, 09:05 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Lol I had my body rubbed down for three hours.

You seem pretty awesome. Just so you know.
Old 04-25-2017, 09:29 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I'm desperately holding onto the idea that I won't feel this way forever. And I'm trying to convince myself that the person I love doesn't exist anymore.

Thanks for the love

I feel the same way. Today is a really rough one for me. I woke up with a panic attack this morning at 5:30.

I think it's because a week ago today at 6am I got the notice from police that she passed away
Old 04-25-2017, 10:20 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thank you for the laugh LaM.

I know you weren't trying to be funny but I guess it just caught me to imagine you having a rant surrounded by your gas station donuts.
Old 04-25-2017, 10:48 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

a day off of work, back in bed, watching tv. i think that's my dream vacation!!!!!