To Trust or Not to Trust that is MY Question

Old 04-18-2017, 08:45 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Originally Posted by ngtta0630 View Post
OK, it doesn't look like I'm responding to people correctly. How do I respond to an individual? I don't mind everyone reading what I say, but it makes no sense when I replay to one person and it showes up at the bottom of the remarks. Can someone explain how to do that correctly? :-/
You just click "quote" on the post you are replying to--the way I did here. The quote shows up, automatically bracketed, and you just type your reply below.

I usually do it only when I want to highlight a specific part of the post, or when I'm replying to a specific post a ways back on the thread--if it's just a general reply, no need to do that.
Old 04-18-2017, 08:50 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Hi there. You have found a great place to get information and find others going through similar situations. I do not know about how to respond to individuals unless you send it in a private message. I am very new here, as well.

I was told to purchase the book "why does he do that" by Lundy Bancroft. It is a great book about angry men. I highly encourage you to purchase a copy or go to your local library and check it out. You will learn so much from that book. Please order it today and read it as soon as it comes in.
Old 04-18-2017, 09:01 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

IWhat I want is for him to change on a deeper level. I don't want all of him to change. Most of him is wonderful, but I want him to really dive in and fight the cause of his drinking. And.... most of all.... I want him to want it and to think his family is important enough to make a permanent change.
This is what we all wanted. The hardest thing for me was accepting that there was nothing I could do to make the alcoholics in my life want it for themselves as much as I wanted it for them.
Old 04-18-2017, 09:02 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I don't think the classes are a wast of time, not from my perspective. I think there may be a lot to learn from those classes, and about himself. I don't feel like I can express that without him being upset and telling me "I'm doing what I'm supposed to. What else do you want?" What I want is for him to change on a deeper level. I don't want all of him to change. Most of him is wonderful, but I want him to really dive in and fight the cause of his drinking. And.... most of all.... I want him to want it and to think his family is important enough to make a permanent change.
This is every codie's wet dream that someday they will just magically see the light, and everything will be rainbows and unicorns, but the chances of that happening are slim to none.
It's pretty clear he's deadset in the "I don't have a problem" "I'm better than everyone else" mindset with no intentions to stop drinking.
I think you really need to take a serious look at this relationship.
Old 04-18-2017, 09:19 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

What I want is for him to change on a deeper level. I don't want all of him to change. Most of him is wonderful, but I want him to really dive in and fight the cause of his drinking. And.... most of all.... I want him to want it and to think his family is important enough to make a permanent change.
And he wants something different, he doesn’t want what you what or what you want him to want, can you accept that? Can you make a future life with a person you can’t openly share your thoughts and feelings with because you are afraid of upsetting him? Can you share a future life with someone who thinks learning how NOT to be physically abusive to the woman he is supposed to love, is a waste of his time?
Old 04-18-2017, 04:51 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

What I want is for him to change on a deeper level. I don't want all of him to change. Most of him is wonderful, but I want him to really dive in and fight the cause of his drinking. And.... most of all.... I want him to want it and to think his family is important enough to make a permanent change.
ever hear the expression
want in one hand and sh*t in the other-see which fills up first
????????

this selfish, self centered alcoholic didnt care what other people wanted from me- my care was what i wanted from other people.

i am 100% plwerless over people. i cant make them want what i want.
if i could everyone on the planet would be sending me one dollar because thats what i want them to do.
but thats not gonna happen.
so i accept that.