A year of no contact changed everything.

Old 01-22-2017, 11:40 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I wanna hear more about this motorcycle
Old 01-23-2017, 07:58 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Well, its a restored 95 Yamaha Vmax. I have wanted one since high school. They are relatively rare for the older ones, and I couldn't afford a 2nd generation one outright. It has all new paint, new fluids, tune up, new forkseals and brakes, and valve adjustment...and some performance mods. Kerker header, Supertrapp can, stage 7 carb jets and an upgraded clutch to handle that engine Pushing 114 HP at the wheel!

I have a loong list of mods (my brother likes to point out that I am purchasing a running machine, so this list is silly. I like to point out that I take 5 pairs of shoes on a weekend getaway just in case, so the bike accessories shouldn't be such a shock.

My intentions are: superbike bars, bugeye headlights, debadge, debeaver that awful license plate holder, get rid of all the lollipop signals for smaller LED's, smaller, brighter brake light, sleeker mirrors, solo seat and one day, paint it two tone flat black and flat brown (red is not my favorite, but I hate to paint on top of new paint just yet.) I also want to brace the frame and forks and put better calipers on the front. The brakes and frame weren't made to take what the engine can give. Not that I'm a speed demon, but I will be able to get out of a car's way....FAST.

It ships from TN about the 9th, to be here around Valentines day <3

Old 02-07-2017, 05:31 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Nice! I was riding up thru the Adirondacks a couple years ago and stopped at a grocery store for a quick fruit breakfast- there was a 1st or 2nd gen Vmax parked outside, the rider showed up and we chatted a bit. He had good luck with his, lots of long rides, burnouts lol - up close it looked like a really nice piece of work. I think your list of upgrades sounds good IIRC the early gens are noted for suspension issues, looks like you have that handled. Jetting the older carb bikes is a big win- I did my Bandit and it made a big difference both for power and mpg- I think you'll have a fantastic bike. I've always wanted to ride a vmax, I see them around here from time to time. OTOH next time I get a bike its going to be a gsx-s1000, I'm suzuki all the way

btw- I found led brake and signal lights are a big win (particularly brake lights)- the wattage ratings relative to incandescent don't match up so if the brake lite says 30 watts, get a LED replacement of at least double that, trying for an equivalent brightness sort of metric. They are really bright, don't load the alternator at all. OTOH some of the led lamps will fail due to vibration breaking the very minimal solder joints. If you end up with trouble like that any electronics enthusiast with a soldering iron can fix them up- just resoldering the broken joints seems to fix them.

Good luck!
Old 02-07-2017, 08:51 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Oh, I love the Gixxers, and the SV's and the Hayabusa is a given. I have to remember when I'm thinking I'm all bad on my VMAX, that there are some Hayabusas out there . My X had an M109R - it was beautiful too, and I kinda have a thing for the shaft drives. There are some Hondas out there that I love too...in a perfect world, I'd have a Jay Leno garage of bikes <3....next up maybe a Diavel

I'm tempted to try and find a whole front end instead of upgrading brakes and bracing the forks - those bullet bikes front ends are way beefier, plus, wider front tire bonus, probably about the same price if I can find a wrecked one with not too much damage!

Thanks for the tip on the LED's!
Old 02-07-2017, 11:13 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Yeah big fork tubes are the win- sure would be cool to put a salvage modern fork set on there, fancy damping and uber brakes == nice.

I put an aftermarket fork brace on the Bandit, it made a noticable difference when leaned over in fast turns but not as big a step as the Racetech gold valve & spring upgrade was. I'd say a brace is worth doing even on the OEM fork setup but the pair was definite improvement. The OEM bandit forks are prone to bottoming in heavy braking and need some extra stiffness in a lean. I put a gsxr1k rear shock on and that was a HUGE upgrade to the Bandit's oem rear which was inadequate to say the least lol

I test-rode a Honda STX, that thing was cool- outrageous torque and hp, smooth and very comfy. Engine ventilation was a problem leading to hot legs (great in winter!) etc but yow it moved. OTOH it was way too heavy to move around much and the suspension didn't give me much road feel. A good alternative to a goldwing though.

A buddy of mine is selling is SV-1k that thing is a blast- like riding a rocket-engine propelled feather compared to my bandit. It could use some suspension upgrades too but at least its lighter...

My 1st bike was a M50 shaft- nice bike but too small I was crunched up on it but I do like the shaft; the deal with that one was to clean and grease the spline on every rear tire change. I ended up putting a gear unit from a Suzuki Cavalcade in there for a better gear ratio. Do like the injected bikes- carbs are ... interesting
Old 02-07-2017, 11:30 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Haha - I agree on carbs. Maybe I would love them if I was 10 years older?

I say that, while owning 3 motorcycles...with a combined carb count of 9...ugg. I just need to set aside a day for float bowl duty each start of winter

I bet the Cavaclade gears pulled your rpms back a bit. My sister in law had a smaller Boulevard, and the thing is REVVED high cruising on the highway!
Old 02-07-2017, 01:12 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I just love reading this. You have faced some hard challenges and come out on the other side my friend. You are strong and focused.

Thank you for sharing, stories like these give me something to strive for during hard times.

Hugs.
Old 02-07-2017, 01:58 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Thanks Hopeful. It's been great - very difficult at times, but I got some much needed growth. Kinda like a recovering alcoholic, I had to relearn how to deal with problems, who I am, what things I love, and what gives me peace WITHOUT a partner. What a ride, and I know you know it well!
Old 02-07-2017, 03:30 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Yeah the Cavalcade amounted to a taller 5th, made the highway a bunch more comfy- the taller 1st was also a win. Lots of C50 & M50 people do the rear upgrade- there were several compatible gear units. The Cav rear worked well but needed a bit of machining on the case to clear the M50's frame and a couple custom spacers for the axle. The only downside was it moved the rear wheel about .300" to the right of center, but only noticable if you took hands off the bars. M50/C50 owners often drop well over several hundred $ for a prepped rear unit.. I think the Cav cost me something like $50 shipped on ebay plus some shop time.

Carb Day!!!

lol, I did mine in November due to a vacuum line that had gotten too close to the valve cover and had a hole melted in it. I have Brake Day in late march or whenever the weather is consistently warm- pull front & rear calipers, free the pistons, flush, check seals. I have new pads in from spring '16 so its just a cleaning job this time if they aren't too worn. All that brake cleaner and scrubbing with diesel etc makes for a stinky dirty day so its nice to do it outside.

I guess I like carbs well enough.. fussy, bulky, dirty.. eternal vacuum drama, good war stories to chat about in the forums- but I would <much> rather stick a power commander on and load maps. I'm amazed at the sophistication and stability of these late gen CV carbs though.
Old 02-08-2017, 08:40 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I guess I like carbs well enough.. fussy, bulky, dirty.. eternal vacuum drama, good war stories to chat about in the forums- but I would <much> rather stick a power commander on and load maps. I'm amazed at the sophistication and stability of these late gen CV carbs though.
Haha, I hate the buggers. From restoring oldies, and after hours of cleaning carb parts, I get instant migraine from the smell of varnish. You're right though, the newer style plungers aren't so bad, and kits, parts or replacements so far have been easy to come by.

The Cav rear worked well but needed a bit of machining on the case to clear the M50's frame and a couple custom spacers for the axle.
Haha - like grinder style machining? I had to do that kind of "machining" to get grips to fit on some aftermarket powedercoated superbike bars for my Yamaha triple

Fun talking shop in here Schnappi - I'm in a couple of model specific forums, one for the Vmax, and one for the triple. Thats probably been the most fun...so much knowledge out there, and everyone happy to help with "how to's" and there are some really genius mods. I saw a guy turn his M109r tank cover emblem into a hidden garage door opener button. I love that stuff!
Old 02-08-2017, 07:15 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Hi fb,

I had to relieve the area around the axle bore, and cut away some of the top, so the swingarm frame would fit up- below is a pic of the unit mounted on my milling machine. IIRC the Cav is an old design using twin shocks on both sides of the rear, so I had to use the impact wrench to remove the mounting stud from the threaded hole on the upper left- on the C/M50 they put in a bolt to fill the hole and use a more modern single shock off the swingarm itself.

I am prone to splash carb cleaner on my face from looking closely at the parts I'm cleaning while I spray lol.. ouchy! I'm on advrider and max suzuki, like the long ride stories on the former and tech on the latter. I bought the bandit in 2012, put 60k miles on it since. I have bar risers but stock bars. I've never liked Suzuki's default brake handles so put in some crotch rocket shorties. The bandit 1200 is nice in that theres lots of salvage parts, its kind of a spare parts design- it uses standard & inexpensive parts, a classic UJM.

Good on you for doing your own wrenching.. I find it a lot of fun, quite meditative actually, to go out in the shop, put on some music and commune with the machine
Old 02-09-2017, 08:29 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

It is fun, and I agree, as frustrated as I can get in my garage, ultimately I walk away with a sense of peace and accomplishment every time I spend a day swearing and bleeding out there haha. It just makes me sit down and focus on 1 REAL problem at a time, ya know? I was lucky enough to have a dad and grandfather that were happy to tell me how to turn a wrench, then I worked at an auto shop for 8 years where the mechanics were 5 more of those same kinda guys. Now my friends husbands call me when they need car repairs

OH - You meant real machining on the case - not my type of machining - looks great! You've put a car's worth of miles on that Bandit - that's awesome!

I was thinking of trying to do an Iron Butt ride this summer - just the 1k in 24 hrs. The ride stories on their website are fascinating, every single one is an adventure! And then, have you watched the "Long Way Around?" Ewen McGreagor and Jeff Danials ride around the world in like a 10 episode series in 3 months if I remember right. Its so inspiring, and just made me want to sell everything and take off on a bike!
Old 02-10-2017, 03:23 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Yeah my dad sucked me into car and tractor repairs as I kid, I've enjoyed it since. I get my daughter out in the shop when I can, she knows about wrenches, hammers etc but they're not in her blood yet lol

I've done a couple long rides home that might qualify for minimum iron butt- back to back days like that can get really tiring though. I'm more comfortable in the 5-7hrs/day. I've not sat down to watch the Long Way series but its pretty famous, lots of talk on some of the forums about it. I think its great publicity for riding in general.

lol hope you didn't have to chew up your fancy bars.. they sure sound nice.
Old 02-11-2017, 10:12 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Bump-- people need to read this..

...many, many people. thank you for sharing this incredibly wise and powerful post.

Cyranoak
Old 02-14-2018, 11:50 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bekindalways View Post
Firebolt I would love this to be part of a series. Could you post next year around this time and let us know how 2017 went?

Thanks for this !
2018 Reminder.
Old 02-19-2018, 04:54 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by firebolt View Post
Yesterday came and went, and I didn't think about xabf. Not once. Most days are that way - it's nice, because in the not so distant past, I was consumed with him and his problems, and what it meant for my future. Yesterday was a year of no contact.

A year of no contact gave me time and space to focus on myself and my issues.

It allowed me to be solely working on the changes I needed to make. And there were / are a lot of them!
I quit smoking, lost weight, did the whole30 and changed my eating patterns.
I focused authentically on my family while we were losing my dad, and in the aftermath of that.
I faced putting my cat to sleep, my brothers horrific drunk driving wreck that shook our family to the core, losing dad, and leaving the x within 4 months of each other. I am proud of my courage, boundaries and staying NC through it all.
I did a much needed Oregon coast vacation with my family.
I dated some, realized I wasn't ready and stopped. I also told them the second I realized we weren't right.
I nursed my wounds some more by spending time with healthier friends, exercise, joining some local groups and by camping, riding and fishing my face off last summer.
I worked hard on relationships with my family and healthy friends - things I have neglected a lot of my life.
There has not been one raised voice in my home since I moved out Sept 2015. NOT ONE.
I have not dreaded coming home from work - NOT ONCE.
I self-help read my brains out, and spent a lot of time here. I did some pleasure reading too
I accept people for who they are, with minor slips here and there....but the ability to catch myself on others sides of the street.
And 2 weeks ago, I ordered a motorcycle that I have wanted since I was a kid. It will be here in 2 weeks - I made a dream come true for me this year there.

Life isn't all peachy and roses. I am still grieving my losses in 2016 - most days are great, but here and there the slightest thing can send me to tears. I feel a little stuck in my job, but am not scared of losing it or changing it anymore. I am a little lonely in the romance department, but am ok with feeling that way until the absolute right person comes along - even if that means they never do - and even if I have to tell a hundred men "that we just aren't it." I worry about my family, but I do not stew or future trip.

BUT, I can step back and see how my grieving process is going and allow it to happen how I need it to. I don't dwell much anymore. I forgive relatively easily - I also walk away relatively easily. I am no longer angry, and I can say NO - mostly with ease. My migraines are mostly gone. I do not, and will never again live with constant stress and tension. I make better choices, and take decisive action - things I have always struggled with. I can see the changes in myself very, very clearly. Not all of my friends and family have dealt with my changes well - there are a couple that I used to be very close to, that are now at arms length while they walk their own tough paths. I just can't do it with them, and that is ok.

It's been a hell of a year!! I can pinpoint several amazing pivotal moments in my life so far. Landing here in SR being one of them - I really don't know where I'd be if I hadn't stumbled in here - a complete wreck. It lead me to acceptance of people for who and how they are today - MYSELF being the biggest one. Thanks to you all!

I hope this helps someone that was like me - going back and forth "touching the burner to see if it's still hot." It was good for me to pat myself on the back a little too - a year ago I was changing for the better, but felt like a kicked puppy at times. One year of no contact made all the difference.
How long did it take you to cut contact for good? How long until you stopped aching to talk to him?
Old 02-19-2018, 09:15 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sailorgirl57 View Post
How long did it take you to cut contact for good? How long until you stopped aching to talk to him?
Hi Sailor,

I don't know if you know about this feature at SR but you an click on someone's name, by their picture and choose to view all their threads or all their posts etc. It's really handy and you can look back on someone's story, hope this is helpful!

Firebolt discusses more about no contact here:

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...onfession.html (Bless me father, for I have sinned. My last confession was…)
Old 02-20-2018, 08:03 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trailmix View Post
Hi Sailor,

I don't know if you know about this feature at SR but you an click on someone's name, by their picture and choose to view all their threads or all their posts etc. It's really handy and you can look back on someone's story, hope this is helpful!

Firebolt discusses more about no contact here:

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...onfession.html (Bless me father, for I have sinned. My last confession was…)
Thank you! This helped me so much!!!
Old 02-20-2018, 08:42 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Well SHEESH - 2 years have come and gone and i've semi forgotten YAY!

Sailor - it's tough for me to tell exactly how long it was before the ache stopped. That was a tough year, lots of other losses in a short period of time so it's difficult for me to separate what was missing XABF, and what was grief from the other stuff - I will post an update though.

I'd say I felt notable better after 3 months, and started feeling more like myself again after 6 months. I haven't regretted leaving....not once.
Old 02-20-2018, 04:57 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

That’s interesting. I was reading an article and a psychiatrist also said if you go NC and take good care of yourself it starts to feel better after 3 months. I’m halfway there 😊

Ps I did whole 30 too. Loved it and feel physically so much better!