TGIF! What are you doing for YOU this weekend?

Old 08-05-2016, 05:05 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Learning to LIve

Forget about the housework the Olympic Opening Ceremony is on!
Old 08-05-2016, 05:34 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I'm spending this weekend working around the house. I'm having my carpets cleaned tomorrow, and next week will have the housecleaners come. It doesn't sound "fun," but the result will be--my guests going to the show with me will arrive a week from today, and a couple of days later, my son and his g/f will be here for a visit!

I've recently bought all new furniture, and I bought some new pictures and done some decorating (such as I can--I don't always have things looking quite the way I hoped they would look) to make the place look as good as it can. It will all be fine, and hopefully I can maintain things.

I was sort of proud of myself today--one of my neighbors died several months ago, and her family held an "estate sale" today. I walked over just to take a look, and OMG, that woman accumulated so much STUFF in her lifetime. It made me glad I've gotten rid of so much junk I don't want anymore, and I'm sure my kids will appreciate it someday when they have to go through MY stuff. Anyway, I didn't bring home a single thing. Most of her stuff isn't stuff I'd want anyway, but at one time I would have brought home a bunch of crap that I'd have just taking up space.
Old 08-05-2016, 06:47 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

My RAH and I kicked off the weekend at the "World's Longest Yard Sale". It was quite a sight! I'm not sure I'll go back but at least I can say I've been! I picked up some really cute old blue bottles for a bottle tree.
Old 08-05-2016, 07:07 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

I have always wanted to go to worlds longest yard sale!
Old 08-05-2016, 07:22 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by redatlanta View Post
I have always wanted to go to worlds longest yard sale!
It was unbelievable how many people were there! I'm glad we started early because it was already 92 degrees at 8:30. You should do it next year!
Old 08-05-2016, 09:10 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Yesterday was my birthday I took today a Nd yesterday off. Yesterday I spent all day at the pool and the park with my littles. Ds4 earned his level 1 swimming lessons diploma. So cute!! My parents took us to dinner.
And today I took the kids to daycare and had all-day to myself! Got my hair done.. did some shopping, got a coffee, and did some cleaning. I loved having some time to myself!
Hoping to take the boys for a hike tomorrow ....
Happy weekend
Old 08-06-2016, 04:45 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Happt Birthday, K!!!!!
Old 08-06-2016, 04:58 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

I'm going for physical therapy on my still very achy hip (when will it heal??), try to squeeze in some more me time while babysitter is with ds. DS and I will see my sister and her family later. Then some mundane stuff like dealing with hospital bills from last month's surgery. And the ultimate in mindless escapeism - catching up on my soap opera on dvr - their problems are even greater than mine!!
Old 08-07-2016, 06:29 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Today is Sunday. I worked yesterday- so Friday was my weekend. In the morning I played trombone in a concert in a beautiful setting. I had lunch in my favorite coffee shop.I spent the afternoon at the pool with a friend. My friend sells Makeup and gifts and brought me over a small order I had been waiting for- and that was delightful. One of my favorite quotes is Hans Christian Anderson. The butterfly said, " Just living is not enough. One must have sunshine, freedom, and a little flower." In the interest of that, I went out and bought 5 plants for my porch( all reduced for August) and ordered a plant stand to put them on. I am feathering my nest since moving here in May. Then I went to an Alanon meeting- afterwards I felt like it was magic- it made a big difference to me. Came home and watched a move I had borrowed from the library. I have been keeping track of my spending and finding some ways to cut back, but I don't want to deprive myself and get depressed. I moved from a beautiful house I had decorated and made very comfortable to a tiny but beautiful, safe apartment. Brought the bare minimum with me, and so have bought some furniture, TV, household things. Money out but it is feeling like home now. I went through this thread last night and actually wrote down some of your plans to inspire me. When I was living with AXH, all activities with him involved drinking and he never wanted to plan ahead. Better to keep control. So I was always planning fun things for me, and keeping free time open for him- so I did feel deprived, and stunted in having fun. It is so nice to not feel guilty being happy and enjoying life.
Old 08-07-2016, 06:51 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

qtpi, I loved reading your post! I think Hans Christian Anderson may have been a very wise man, judging by that quote. Hope you enjoy those plants. I've gradually been buying house plants myself and pretty much all my good interior spots are taken up now. The energy/vibe of the house is changed by having that greenery in it, I think. Like a small miracle, an African violet I bought last summer in the bargain bin b/c it was at the end of its bloom cycle has not only survived the darkness, dry air and cold of my house in the winter but began blooming several weeks ago and continues to bloom madly! It lifts my spirits each time I see it.

Last fall I found a couple of painted white wood planters out on the curb as trash and brought them home. I planted red geraniums in them and put them on either side of my entryway; they just fill me w/happiness whenever I look at them! I'm mulling over ideas for more outdoor plants next spring...
Old 08-07-2016, 07:20 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Reading....catching up on reading.
Old 08-07-2016, 08:41 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Taking control of my finances

By doing retirement savings planning. Big step for me as I am afraid of this!
Old 08-07-2016, 10:04 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Saturday I spoke at a community meeting about my field of expertise. Today, I did my long run (I'm training for the NYC marathon) and I was very grateful that I could do it (I've had some nagging injuries in the past). I was also very slow. I like to say that I make everybody feel good about their running as they pass me by!

We also watched a bit of the Olympics - I went absolutely nuts at the men's cycling road race and thoroughly embarrassed my pre-teen son, as every mother should.

Oh my gosh. Cinnamon rolls. Cream puffs! And I love farm fresh eggs with orange yolks like suns.
Old 08-12-2016, 07:52 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

It's FRIDAY AGAIN!

You all inspired the heck out of me last week - everything from simply stopping to "smell the roses" to long-term financial planning - wowzers!

Tomorrow I will be thrift shopping with friends while DD has meditation class. It's my favorite thing ever, lol!

Then we are invading my friend's pool - she doesn't know it yet, but that's ok......

I pulled out some new yoga routines for tonight & gave myself the gift of a clean kitchen before I left the house this morning. When I walk in the door after work & am not greeted by a sink full of dirty dishes, it will be much easier to slide into weekend-relax-mode.

We did a test run with the tile adhesive I bought for the fairy house roof - I have enough shells & bric-a-brac to finish it & the adhesive is holding the weight perfectly...... I'm hoping to at least get a good chunk of it done & let my creative side out to play a bit this weekend. I have been dragging this project out for TOO long, always pushing it to the back burner & labelling it as the "Most Unimportant Thing".

RAH is working most of the weekend so my best friend is coming over tonight to chill & catch up after work/for dinner.

Old 08-12-2016, 08:22 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Sounds like a great weekend, FS!

We have been running around like crazy in my world. DD16 is in driver's ed every weeknight from 6-8 for three weeks, which means that I get home from work, feed everyone, then drive her to class, then pick her up two hours later. It feels like I don't even sit down until we get home at 8:10. So we don't have a whole lot planned for this weekend. My daughters will be spending the weekend with their dad, and DS will be with STBXAH for at least part of the weekend. My gentleman friend's cousin has invited us to a cookout on Saturday. As of right now, those are the only plans we have, apart from continuing with getting unpacked and settled in the new place. I'm looking forward to some downtime.
Old 08-12-2016, 10:14 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Sounds like a fun weekend for you both!

I don't have a ton lined up either and super happy for that.

I need to deep clean.

Maybe it's just because my sense of smell is better from quitting the cigs, but I swear my apartment has a...umm.. pet hair smell or something lol.....and i need it to be closer to a lysol smell. I also have an over abundance of energy, so tooth-brushing grout and baseboards and caulking with a cup of coffee and blaring some metal tomorrow am kinda sounds fun. Plus, I had on tall heels not too long ago that allowed me to see the top of my fridget....yeesh....

Other than that - the usual take a ride, fish a little, and catch more of the meteor shower. Happy Friday all!!
Old 08-12-2016, 03:59 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

I'm kind of looking at a busy weekend this time around. My sis's daughter, a college student, is going to be spending the coming semester studying in Spain and will be gone when her birthday comes. We are having a going away/early birthday party for her tomorrow, and my assignment is the corn salsa (recipe here: https://www.penzeys.com/shop/recipes...salsa-penzeys/).

SIL (my brother and her are divorced) and BIL (his wife, my sister, died of breast cancer) are both likely going to ride to the party w/me (an hour's drive), so we will be kind of the rolling Island of Misfit Toys, all single again, but damn the torpedoes and full speed ahead!

Sunday is my monthly spinning gathering (making yarn, not exercising).

And now that it has rained, I'll likely have to get the lawn mowed one of these days. I'm SO glad it rained, and it is nice and cool out this evening for a change, too.
Old 08-12-2016, 04:14 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Sounds good everybody!!
Going to the fair tomorrow with my littles!
They've been looking forward to it all year
Old 08-26-2016, 06:01 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Happy Friday, everyone! Another steamy weekend in Central Ohio!! Heading to the OhioHealth Heart Walk tomorrow in Columbus then probably head to the pool in the afternoon. Basic cleaning and other stuff this weekend, and as much pool time as possible since it will be closing soon for the season.
Old 08-26-2016, 06:06 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Jersey Shore! And another 14 mile long run to make up for all ice cream and raspberry puff pastry pretzels I'll most likely inhale throughout the weekend.