TGIF! What are you doing for YOU this weekend?

Old 08-05-2016, 10:59 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Oh, my, firebolt...oh my goodness gracious....

And I have farm eggs w/those deep yellowy-orange yolks. How good do you think these might be w/those eggs?

My sis is having a party a week from tomorrow for her daughter, a college student who is going to spend the fall semester in Spain. I am going to send her the recipe and tell her I will come early, bearing the farm eggs, and that we MUST make these for the party!

Oh, dear me, I'm not sure I can stand to wait that long, now that I know that these exist...

ETA: I am going to blame all the problems this is causing on the Wisconsin State Fair. I accept no responsibility for it whatsoever...
Old 08-05-2016, 11:01 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Great thread! I had a baby five months ago and have spent so much time caring for him and when I get some free time trying to get some work done. I have to think about what I can fit in between naps and feedings. Maybe I will work on decluttering all the baby stuff that has piled up. I've always kept an orderly house and it's interfering with my mojo. I also want to push myself to do something more adventurous with him in tow. As a first time mother, I've been kind of fearful of taking him places and have ended up using my nanny time to do things like grocery shopping. Maybe I'll take him to Whole Foods and get myself some treats!
Old 08-05-2016, 11:02 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Or maybe this recipe that I found yesterday.... it seems so decadent!

Magic Custard Cake - Hugs and Cookies XOXO
Old 08-05-2016, 11:03 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by honeypig View Post
ETA: I am going to blame all the problems this is causing on the Wisconsin State Fair. I accept no responsibility for it whatsoever...
Old 08-05-2016, 11:05 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

That sounds wonderful also! Seems decadent, but really not a ton of sugar in your recipe, tho, FS--and since going lower-carb, I don't fret about butter or eggs so much. Altho of course I'd have to do the CHOCOLATE version, if I made it...
Old 08-05-2016, 11:06 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

This thread really brightened my day. Left my AH on May 27 and trying to make a new life. My old life revolved around AH, and then there were my free time without him that was awesome. I am trying to balance everything- working more now because money is tight. I was used to extra discretionary income and I hope I don't come off as spoiled, but I am having a hard time living at my means now- and so have been exhausting myself- working way more than is healthy to pay the lawyer but also because I won't always be able to get extra work... so I want to prepare for the lean times. But I haven't been doing all these fun things and I need to take time off work and plan some fun stuff like this. I wish the financial settlement was done and I could breathe a sigh of relief. Thank you all for the inspiration. Has anyone else gone through something like this? Where I work right now there are 5 full time people on medical leave- so for right now!!!- until they come back to work , I can work as many days and hours as I want and I just want to feel secure financially. Again, thank you for the inspiration!!!
Old 08-05-2016, 11:07 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

This weekend will be nice and quiet - sleeping in. Maybe some back to school shopping for DS. Mom and I are talking about leaving DS home (which, at 11yo he's excited about getting to be home alone - he is "a tween, you know, Mom. I'm NOT a little kid.") and the 2 of us having lunch and picking up school stuff for him.

Oh! Can I share what we did _last_ weekend? It was so cool!: DS, my Mom and I participated in an Inupiaq language immersion class that's put on to help revitalize native languages. DS was the only young boy to attend, though there were several 5-8 year old girls there with their moms. We got to start learning the language and we also got to do some of the games that are part of the Native Youth Olympics and drumming and dancing. Mom shared the little she remembered from her early childhood and was told it might have been *this* phrase, and it's a scolding. She said, yep, that makes sense because it was from her grandmother and she heard it often.

One of the older gentlemen who was participating in the class mentioned he's part of an Inupiaq dance group and they're always looking to teach young kids to drum and/or dance and let us know when and where they practice. Which I think would be cool, but DS thinks the drums are too loud... IDK, I'm debating on the merits and downsides of making him participate.

But the class was amazing!
Old 08-05-2016, 11:09 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Lets see....pretty calm nothing weekend planned here.

We are both politically active; HOWEVER, we are on revolt and have issued a mandate of nothing political for awhile. Since the news is not on the radar we have some catching up to do on movies and shows.

Might go see the new Bourne movie.

Its really so miserably hot here its no fun outside, even the pool is not much in the way of relief the water is so warm.. If we get a cooler day Sunday a motorcycle ride might be in order.

I think I will try that recipe FS!
Old 08-05-2016, 11:10 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Cinnamon Roll recipe??

Do tell me more... DS and I loooooove cinnamon rolls!!

COD
Old 08-05-2016, 11:13 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Cinnamon Rolls 101 | The Pioneer Woman

COD - I know this recipe is more of an all day project than a quick snack, but Wisconsin gave it High Praise & DD & I are ok with the work that goes into them. It's actually a great lesson in chemistry with the rising of the dough & a great lesson in patience while we wait for it to be ready. I like that she breaks them down into small batches in foil pans that are easy to give away.
Old 08-05-2016, 11:14 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by theuncertainty View Post
Oh! Can I share what we did _last_ weekend? It was so cool!: DS, my Mom and I participated in an Inupiaq language immersion class that's put on to help revitalize native languages. DS was the only young boy to attend, though there were several 5-8 year old girls there with their moms. We got to start learning the language and we also got to do some of the games that are part of the Native Youth Olympics and drumming and dancing. Mom shared the little she remembered from her early childhood and was told it might have been *this* phrase, and it's a scolding. She said, yep, that makes sense because it was from her grandmother and she heard it often.

One of the older gentlemen who was participating in the class mentioned he's part of an Inupiaq dance group and they're always looking to teach young kids to drum and/or dance and let us know when and where they practice. Which I think would be cool, but DS thinks the drums are too loud... IDK, I'm debating on the merits and downsides of making him participate.

But the class was amazing!

That is SO INCREDIBLY COOL!!!

Originally Posted by qtpi View Post
Has anyone else gone through something like this? Where I work right now there are 5 full time people on medical leave- so for right now!!!- until they come back to work , I can work as many days and hours as I want and I just want to feel secure financially. Again, thank you for the inspiration!!!
Yes, hang in there! I definitely worked harder to build up some savings in the early days & worried about having a nest egg. We took advantage of every possible corner that we could cut - dumping cable for Netflix/hulu, borrowing movies from the library, etc.
Old 08-05-2016, 11:27 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I'm drooling.....
Old 08-05-2016, 11:41 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

qtpi, I get you about the finances--I'm about halfway thru my first year on only my income. Like you, I have a lot of fears about making it, but it is an eye-opener to see the REAL financial picture instead of the one XAH presented in order to hide the costs of his addiction. Little did I know that we should have been able to bank almost ALL of one person's income for many years, but we struggled to get debt-free in the early years and so I never thought it unusual that our savings built up slowly once we'd paid everything off...

This goes a long way towards my not feeling guilt over keeping the house when I think of how much of our joint income he spent!

Like you, I worked a lot--more often than not I had a side job or a second job or I took OT when it was available. Now that I'm a single "dog parent", I don't feel it's right for me to spend all that time away from home, but I am certainly economizing in every way I possibly can. I recently returned to a job I'd left b/c it had no health insurance (now it does), and part of the deal I was able to negotiate was to use a company vehicle for commuting to and from work. The boss threw in use of the company credit card for my own vehicle's gas, so that has taken a chunk out of my transportation costs.

I work for a bakery/restaurant, so I am always scouting for outdated items for myself and/or the dogs. This helps w/grocery and dog food costs. I don't own a TV, so no cable costs, but as FS said, the library and Netflix are very economical options if you do like to watch. I've got the slowest speed of internet, which is totally sufficient for my needs. I have an older cell phone on the Total Wireless plan, which costs me $25 a month ($35 if I want internet/data, which I don't). I heat w/LP gas and am able to "lock in" my rate by paying in late spring for the coming winter's estimated gas usage.

A lot of my fun is cheap or free. An annual county park sticker gives me unlimited access to all county parks for $32 and half that price when I turn 60. I use my library card like some folks use their credit card. There is a long list of local activities that cost little or nothing to attend--outdoor music in the summer, knitting/crocheting groups, talks on every subject under the sun at the library, drumming groups, hiking groups, you name it.

It's a bit nerve-wracking at times, just b/c I don't have all the data yet, and also b/c there can always be things you didn't expect like car problems, home maintenance and so on, but I have to believe that each passing day will see me closer to having a handle on things and knowing what I can spend and what I need to save. I think it might be the same for you.
Old 08-05-2016, 11:51 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

omg - custard cake...must try it!
Old 08-05-2016, 12:01 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

fb, I am laughing really hard b/c I just realized that your sig line refers to "just deserts" (granted, not spelled the same but pronounced the same)!
Old 08-05-2016, 12:22 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FireSprite View Post

I even had Wisconsin's cinnamon roll recipe out on the counter to make this weekend & put it away so that I'll hopefully forget about it.
Interesting that you should mention the cinnamon roll recipe. My beloved former neighbors (who still live in the other half of the duplex where STBXAH lives) will be sending their 19-year-old son off to Air Force basic training next month, and they will be hosting a going-away party for him. I told her to ask him what he wants me to bring, and he didn't miss a beat. Cinnamon rolls! So even though I don't usually make them until December, it looks like we will have a special batch underway in early September.
Old 08-05-2016, 12:26 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CentralOhioDad View Post
Cinnamon Roll recipe??

Do tell me more... DS and I loooooove cinnamon rolls!!

COD
COD, we make them every year around the holidays. Two Christmases ago we made over 200 rolls. We didn't make as many this past Christmas, because I had walking pneumonia.

Nevertheless, they aren't difficult, per se. They just take awhile, and they are VERY messy to make. That's why we always make a ton of them. If I'm going to make that big of a mess, I might as well get a couple hundred cinnamon rolls for gifts out of the deal!
Old 08-05-2016, 12:51 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

tonight 80's Rockers Y&T Santa Cruz beach and boardwalk summer concerts on the beach
tomorrow negotiate divorce with wife
Old 08-05-2016, 12:56 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

I'll be resting, sleeping in, and if weather permits it, have a picnic with my pup in the park. Gonna take a blanket and some snacks for him and some snacks for me. Last week was tough, lots of work to do. And I deserve a break.
Old 08-05-2016, 02:50 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

fred...that does not sound like fun (tomorrow), but I wish you the best of luck!!!!

Originally Posted by fred59 View Post
tonight 80's Rockers Y&T Santa Cruz beach and boardwalk summer concerts on the beach
tomorrow negotiate divorce with wife