The Language of Letting Go, September 23

Old 09-22-2015, 08:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The Language of Letting Go, September 23

SEPTEMBER 23

You are reading from the book "The Language of Letting Go."

Tolerance

Practice tolerance.

Tolerate our quirks, our feelings, our reactions, our peculiarities, and our humanness. Tolerate our ups and downs, our resistance to change, and our struggling and sometimes awkward nature.

Tolerate our fears, our mistakes, our natural tendency to duck from problems, and pain. Tolerate our hesitancy to get close, expose ourselves, and be vulnerable.

Tolerate our need to occasionally feel superior, to sometimes feel ashamed, and to occasionally share love as an equal. Tolerate the way we progress - a few steps forward, and a couple back.

Tolerate our instinctive desire to control and how we reluctantly learn to practice detachment. Tolerate the way we say we want love, and then sometimes push others away. Tolerate our tendency to get obsessive, forget to trust Higher Power, and occasionally get stuck.

Some things we do not tolerate. Do not tolerate abusive or destructive behaviors toward others or ourselves.

Practice healthy, loving tolerance of ourselves, said one man. When we do, we'll learn tolerance for others. Then take it one step further. Learn that all the humanness we're tolerating is what makes ourselves and others beautiful.

Today I will be tolerant of myself. From that, I will learn appropriate tolerance of others.

©1990, Hazelden Foundation. All rights reserved.
Old 09-22-2015, 08:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Another great one. I'll have to chew on this one a while.
Old 09-23-2015, 02:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I read this last night and have been thinking about it often today. Learning how to appropriately tolerate; and not tolerate that which is abusive or destructive.

Too often I let abusive behaviors slide and I don't know how to deal with them. DS8 has been dealing with some bullying comments from "friends" in his class.

I told him I'm okay with punching them if he chooses to, we laughed, he admitted he's been feeling like doing that! We both know that's not a part of our programs, and he knows it would lead to suspension, which I'm also okay with. I admitted I don't know what to do and that it's important for us to reach out to others for advice on this.

We also talked about how he could tell them to stop saying something, other than yelling"shut up!" That was his suggestion and got a couple more laughs. We know that's not appropriate, either. He doesn't want to get in trouble over it. He wants to learn how to stand up for himself. Today we turned it over to his teacher. DS is in Alakid, goes to some Alanon meetings with me and knows people in the program he can ask for advice.

DS8 is a "nice" kid who doesn't cause problems. He smiles easily and wants to please others. That's what made me realize how much he needed some help. He's now learning how to admit other feelings and deal with them.

My journey is along this lately, too. Without getting my "people-pleasing" fix, how do I feel good about myself and life?

Ahh.... Tolerate myself. My quirks. My feelings. My humanness. My recovery, as it is. One-day-at-a-time. Reach out to others. Do the next right action. Daily reading like this one. Give it to God, and then do my part.

Honeypig, thank you, my friend, for posting these.