Soooo bummed

Old 04-02-2015, 07:28 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Pink,
I went through the same stuff looking for jobs. Lots of time companies have people already set up for the position. They have to post the job and go through the motions of interviewing. Already knowing that they already have someone. So don't take it personally, because it had nothing to do with you.

The world is a very accepting place. Please don't think that your "deformity" is not going to get you a job. You didn't get an interview, was it because of your deformity? So pick yourself up, keep looking, go on craigs list. I have found my last 2 jobs there. You will get something, and hopefully better then this one.
(((((((((hugs))))))))
Old 04-02-2015, 07:42 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry you didn't get the job. Job hunting can be so discouraging. Try to hang in there. Something will come along.

I too was hoping to hear back about a job I really, really wanted. I even have a great connection. It's hard to stay positive but I'm determined to keep going in the right direction.

We've come too far and gone through too much to give up now. Think of all the great skills we have to offer after having lived with alcoholism : perseverance, courage, extreme budgeting skills, razor sharp lie detection, clean up of mystery stains, ability to work under crazy making conditions. Employers should be knocking on your door.

But seriously just keep at it. Things sometimes have a funny way of working out.
Old 04-02-2015, 10:39 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Pink, you don't need your husband to text anyone. Yeah *maybe* it would've helped, maybe not. It doesn't matter. You'll get the right job for you, on your own. Lexie's suggestion about a temp agency is a good one.
I've worked as a temp and been offered full-time positions from temp jobs. It's a great way to test the waters, so to speak.
Old 04-02-2015, 10:58 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry you didn't get the job. I'm coming to a transition period and not sure what is happening with my employment after the next two weeks yet.

When my X was job hunting, he finally landed one at a fast food joint, but requested the evening shift. With no license, no car, too late for buses, and no guarenteed ride. His dad and I cautioned him about relying on others to get his ducks in a row. And he wasn't able to stay late, because he was in the HWH. Had he taken the morning shift, he could have gone back and checked in, then gone back to work for a few more hours. It was just a plan we thought was meant to fail. But we told him our concerns and he did things his way. Sure enough, when his coworkers' patience started wearing thin (no gas money, last minute calls for rides, etc.), he started getting mad because no one would help him out.

I don't want to sound like the Debbie Downer, but I do think finding a job without depending on your husband be a part of it will make you so much happier. And it's been mentioned before, it may have been a simple timing issue on the job getting filled before you got a chance. While I can appreciate how helpful networking and references can be, I think when you land a job without his help, you'll be much more satisified and proud of yourself than you would be now. I know your focus is on getting money to survive, and I certaintly don't want to seem insensitive to that, but I think you'll be happier.

And you may not believe it yet, but you are beautiful, and I don't think people are getting hung up on any physical differences the way you think they are. I totally get it. I'm 5'3" and almost 250 and I always think people judge me on that.

I'm sending happy thoughts for you to go get that next job! Lord knows you'll deserve it!
Old 04-02-2015, 11:13 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I find jobs like that hire from within. So you be better off volunteering there as a way in. As far as your husband, why didn't he put in a good word like he said he would. I be a bit bummed too. I you keep at it, a good job will come.
Old 04-03-2015, 05:20 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

There would have been no guarantee that had he sent the text you would have gotten the job. What's confusing is why you would think Mr. Selfish who won't even provide you with food would bother. Stop pinning hopes on him even small ones you set your self up for disappointment.

I own a business and I hire and sub out A LOT of jobs. A facial deformity or disability would not deter me from hiring someone. EVER. I hire someone based on a couple of things, 1) talent 2) dependability and responsibility 3) Personality 4) Resume/portfolio

These are really in no particular order though their resume/portfolio is the last thing that is important to me. Personality and hard work go a really long way in fact I would be more likely to hire someone who was less talented with a great personality and a really hard worker than someone who had tremendous talent but was lacking in other areas.

You will get a job!!! Keep at it and don't let this get you down. Rejection is part of life, I have been rejected from many job that I wanted badly. I just lost a Sub job that I have had for 11 years due to change in position of the person who booked me. Its a lot of money and I hated to lose it. Lo and behold another area of my practice has boomed and its more money and more potential earnings than the sub-job which prevented that area from growing.

So in hindsight I should have dumped it awhile ago. Things do work out my friend.
Old 04-03-2015, 05:49 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I'm sorry Pink and God bless you for wanting to help and nurture animals! I know how frustrating this must be. Public assistance is there for people in a crisis mode. I am usually SO against it bc of how people abuse the system. But by all means, that's what it's truly there for. Have you contacted the women's shelter again and asked for some assistance in getting public help to help you get by during this transition period? Although you don't see it right now, I agree with others that this is probably a Godsend that you don't get a job that has some kind of tie to that awful person you're married to. Don't be so down on yourself... a superficial marking means nothing and you have a heart of gold. I'm praying for you, Pink. Also, are you near Louisville? I pray you're ok with all the flooding happening right now in that part of KY.
Old 04-03-2015, 05:54 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by pinkpeony View Post
At this point, I just want to say "F" the higher power.
I don't think there is anything out there working FOR me.
So pissed.

Sorry, I know you are trying to make me feel better, but dammit.
CAN SOMETHING GO RIGHT/GOOD FOR ONCE?!?!
HP doesn't pay the bills.

It's an automated job seeking world now.

I have been told by a few HR reps that these automated systems are so filtered that they don't get to be involved on the human side like it was. It's awful how the new world of hiring works.
Old 04-03-2015, 06:02 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Maybe a bigger net--apply for more jobs, ones that will get you started and working and then keep applying for ones that are a better fit.

I've done more service jobs for chains than I care to remember, but they established a good working record and a regular paycheck. I've also cleaned rental houses, shoved s%$#, worked on a hay crew, plenty of fast food, washed dishes, and been a personal assistant to a blind person.

I believe more applications = more opportunity for interview and hires. I don't worry if it isn't my ideal job, or even one I want for the long term. I'm not picky when it comes to making money--I know I can always find something else better, but have to start somewhere.

You can do this Pink. You aren't alone and others have been in your position.
Have a good cry, get up, make some coffee, and start applying again. . .
Old 04-03-2015, 08:48 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for putting up with my temper tantrum last night.
I just feel that some networking would have at least got me an interview, and the job is still posted.....
Anyhow, onward and upward, huh?

We are flooded in here completely. We live next to a large creek and the road is totally flooded, over the bridge even. I was going to go apply for food stamps today. I just can't win, can I.
At least I still have a sense of humor.
Old 04-03-2015, 09:57 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Like all states KY benefits are online. Here is the link. Kentucky: Cabinet for Health and Family Services - Food Stamps

You can do this today right at your computer flood or no flood.
Old 04-03-2015, 10:00 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by redatlanta View Post
Like all states KY benefits are online. Here is the link. Kentucky: Cabinet for Health and Family Services - Food Stamps

Wait. You apply for food stamps online???
Wowza, thank you!
Old 04-03-2015, 10:12 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Originally Posted by redatlanta View Post

That's one of the awesomest things about SR. We have SOOO much collective knowledge and experience right here.

Nice catch, red! You probably helped more folks than just pink around here, today.
Old 04-03-2015, 10:24 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Thanks again, I just applied. It was the "short application."

If I qualify for emergency food benefits, I'll hear within three business days, if not, I'll hear within 30 days. When I hear from them it will be to schedule an appt for the "long application and interview."

Tricky thing now is trying to get an actual signed lease from my landlord to take to the appt.......
Old 04-03-2015, 10:49 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

pink.....you are actually experiencing the old saying....(I will do such and such...) "If God willin and the creek don't rise!" LOL! LOL! LOL!

(your creek DID rise...but, god was still willin)....lol.

dandylion
Old 04-03-2015, 11:20 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

if you can't get the lease from the jackass or his friend explain that to the advocate, it may work in your favor.

You have to fight for yourself Pink, no one else will.
Old 04-03-2015, 11:43 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

up the creek without a paddle, lol
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
creek3_edited-1.jpg (90.6 KB, 47 views)
Old 04-03-2015, 12:02 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Scary, be safe Pink.
Old 04-03-2015, 12:52 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

pink....it looks like such a beautiful property. I'll bet it is really pretty in the spring and summer!

It reminds me of my grandmother's creek from my childhood in West Virginia.

dandylion

**thanks for sharing that....
Old 04-03-2015, 01:01 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

(((Pink)))