For those not into Fifty Shades...

Old 02-17-2015, 01:28 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

We saw "Still Alice" this weekend. A great performance by Julianne Moore but it was a sad movie.

I have Turner Classic Movies through Comcast. They are showing 31 Days of Oscar, the various Oscar winners from the 40's on up. I can stream it live on tcm.com or or choose one of the movies on demand. Doesn't get any better unless the local theater is showing a classic on the big screen. Delicious!
Old 02-17-2015, 01:37 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Thanks for the tip Bella, I will get my DVR ready!
Old 02-17-2015, 01:42 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Seren, you and I are buddies in the movies-we-can-handle department.
I'd recommend Big Hero 6 (which is the most amazing thing I've seen in a long time) -- but there is some remarkable sadness in it...
Old 02-17-2015, 03:08 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NWGRITS View Post
You might not want to watch the last 30 minutes or so of Gone Girl. It was played down from the book, but even my husband was like, "Holy sh*t, that's a lot of blood!" And we had watched John Wick the night before. We really enjoyed both. I was happy to see Keanu make such a strong comeback.
Oh I had to see Gone Girl when it came out because I read the book. I thought it was fantastically true to the book but yeah, the sex scene was OMG gory! Wasn't expecting THAT!
Old 02-17-2015, 04:23 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Bunnies!

I had to explain Desi to Mr. Grits. They didn't develop some characters the same as they did in the book, but that was the only one I had to explain because it really makes him out to be crazier in the book. In the movie he was just kinda there and you felt sorry for him. I preferred the coddled, controlling Desi from the book with the domineering, lunatic mother. He was made soft in the movie. One or two other details I would have liked to have seen in the film, but it really did stay true to the book better than most Hollywood versions.
Old 02-17-2015, 04:51 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Stung View Post
Oh I had to see Gone Girl when it came out because I read the book. I thought it was fantastically true to the book but yeah, the sex scene was OMG gory! Wasn't expecting THAT!
EXACT same for me!
Old 02-17-2015, 07:50 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Have you guys read or seen The Maze Runner? Is it any good? The trailer has me intrigued but mostly because it's a book to movie adaptation…like maybe I can fall in love with the book first and then watch the movie afterwards.
Old 02-17-2015, 08:15 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Maze Runner is young adult. As far as films go that isnt my cup of tea but my son loved the books, which he read when he was about 14.
Old 02-17-2015, 10:52 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Bunnies!

I have almost rented The Maze Runner a couple of times from Redbox. It looked pretty decent for YA literature adapted for the screen. They did a good job with The Giver, so we'll probably give it a shot. Anything's better than those Nicholas Sparks or John Green adaptations.