SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Friends and Family of Alcoholics (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/)
-   -   For those not into Fifty Shades... (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/359403-those-not-into-fifty-shades.html)

LexieCat 02-14-2015 07:38 PM

For those not into Fifty Shades...

I decided to take myself out to the movies tonight. I figured, heck, it's Valentine's Day, and it would be nice to go out. I saw "The Imitation Game"--what a terrific movie! I was torn between seeing that and seeing "The Theory of Everything"--guess I was in a geek kinda mood.

My theater was practically empty. Except for a handful of families with kids, I think practically everyone in the long, long line at the concession stand was there to see one of the fifteen or so screenings of Fifty Shades. There was exactly ONE showing of my movie, and most of the others that were playing.

They still do make a few good movies. I usually watch them at home on Netflix or Amazon Prime, but there's still something cool about sitting in a dark theater with a really good story, well-acted.

SoberLeigh 02-14-2015 07:40 PM

Thanks, LexieCat. We are always looking for a good movie recommendation.

HealingWillCome 02-14-2015 08:19 PM

Weird, Lexie. Not even 30 minutes ago, I was thinking about both "The Imitation Game" and "The Theory of Everything." I saw both of them with my 21yo daughter. We both loved both movies.

I was actually just sitting here thinking to myself how "The Imitation Game" was my favorite of the two. It was one of those movies that stayed with me for a couple of days after I saw it. I highly recommend it. The only down side was the lady behind us accidentally dumping her large drink down our backs. :wild

SoberLeigh 02-14-2015 08:22 PM

Wow; that's two recommendations. They sound like 'must see' movies.

LexieCat 02-14-2015 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by HealingWillCome (Post 5202259)
The only down side was the lady behind us accidentally dumping her large drink down our backs. :wild

ooh, that coulda been ME. I always seem to accidentally drop something or hit someone when I'm taking off my coat, or kick somebody when I'm crossing my legs.

But I DO turn my cell phone off. :)

HealingWillCome 02-14-2015 08:56 PM

Hahaha, Lexie! This lady left the accidental kicking to her husband. I can't imagine you'd come close to their performance. She did apologize profusely for the spill, however, and offered to pay for dry cleaning.

NWGRITS 02-14-2015 09:24 PM

My plan was originally to take Mr. Grits to see Kingsman today as a surprise. He just got home last night from over a month in California and Nevada for work. My immune system decided about two weeks ago that nothing of the sort was happening, so we're on the couch with the baby watching John Wick. Works for me. Nobody says anything about your pajamas when you're watching a movie in your own basement.

Seren 02-15-2015 03:09 AM

:lmao I'm afraid something along the lines of "Up" or "How to train your dragon" or about all the excitement I can handle these days :)

Johnston 02-15-2015 03:18 AM

My wife and I saw Paddington two weeks ago. Seriously too cute. And the stuffy lead actor from Downton Abby obviously had a lot of fun with his part.

dandylion 02-15-2015 03:54 AM

:acci::winter7:abcv

I am excited that the next episode of Shameless will be on showtime, tonight.
Talk about dysfunction in the context of addiction!
It does have lots of explicit scenes which I am able to tolerate because the writing and acting are so damn good. Some of the characters are over the top...lol! William Macy takes decadence to a whole new level.
Lots and lots of "take away", there.

For those who like their guilty pleasure in true fantasy form-- heads up---The Bachelor is having a two night special...tonight and tomorrow night.

Yes, people, I am admitting that I do watch it. It is like a train wreck that I can't turn my head away from. It is a type of horror show....and, yet....my disbelieving eyes will not avert.
In my own defense, I think that we humans have a lizard brain interest in observing the behaviors of others of our species. Connection and intimacy are core areas of interest in all of our lives. In one way, or another, we are--have been--or will be heavily influenced.
Watching a group of impossibly beautiful women, who have had more privilege that 98% of people on the planet, fight over a rather ordinary man like rabid dogs over a bone is just mind blowing...! "Pick Me" "Pick Me".

So, there it is folks..... Now, you know what is hidden in my sock drawer...

dandylion

Dave36 02-15-2015 04:11 AM

Watched Fury on DVD tonight. Would recommend it if you like war movies. Been out awhile though I'm sure most movie lovers have seen it.

happybeingme 02-15-2015 05:31 AM

I saw The Theory of Everything. The actor who played Stephen did such an amazing job I swear I really thought it was him a time or two.

Florence 02-16-2015 05:44 AM

I watched a documentary on Netflix last night called "Happy People: A Year in the Taiga." It's a Werner Herzog documentary about the trappers that live mostly solitary lives (with working dogs!) in the upper territories of Russia/Siberia. It really stuck with me because it appears to be such a harsh and cruel environment, but the folks that live there seem happy to do the work of living and working because they live off the land, and there is food and beauty in abundance. They are also basically untouched by modern technology. But for all the extremes, they seem deeply satisfied and pleased with the lives they live.

If you like documentaries, it comes highly recommended.

NWGRITS 02-16-2015 02:36 PM

We watched Gone Girl last night. I wanted that one for Valentine's Day, but it was sold out. Hahaha. I had read the book, so there were some holes, but it was really good. All my husband could say was, "He STAYS with her?!?" I said we don't really know if he does or not, but he feels like he's stuck. A lot of people end yo that way. Really good conversation came out of it (he's always been oblivious to these kinds of things).

AnvilheadII 02-16-2015 02:47 PM

had some down time on Saturday and found myself watching Girl with the Pearl Earring (2004) - with Colin Firth and Scarlett Johansson. speculative account of the famous 17th century painting by Johannes Vermeer. not exactly fast paced, and i'm not really even that IN to art, but it is so beautifully richly done the whole movie is like walking into one of the paintings by the Dutch masters......

LexieCat 02-16-2015 03:18 PM

I loved that movie, Anvil! I saw it when it first aired. It really was gorgeous.

KariSue 02-16-2015 05:48 PM

Well my husband and I went to a movie today and although Shades was playing there we didn't see it. I knew he wouldn't want to anyway.

What we did see is 'Black or White'. It was great! But, if you want a movie that gets your mind off of drug addiction/drinking this is not the movie you want to see. I thought it was mainly about race but not so much. I rarely cry but tears were running down my face as I identified with the mother of the addict in the movie.

Kari

freetosmile 02-16-2015 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by LexieCat (Post 5202198)
I decided to take myself out to the movies tonight. I figured, heck, it's Valentine's Day, and it would be nice to go out. I saw "The Imitation Game"--what a terrific movie! I was torn between seeing that and seeing "The Theory of Everything"--guess I was in a geek kinda mood.

My theater was practically empty. Except for a handful of families with kids, I think practically everyone in the long, long line at the concession stand was there to see one of the fifteen or so screenings of Fifty Shades. There was exactly ONE showing of my movie, and most of the others that were playing.

They still do make a few good movies. I usually watch them at home on Netflix or Amazon Prime, but there's still something cool about sitting in a dark theater with a really good story, well-acted.

LOVE amazon...it's all the kids and I watch...we don't even have cable or satellite. I like that I can "monitor" what the kids watch and I don't have all the dang commercials.

I will also admit that since ...well about three weeks ago, I have not watched ONE single movie or show...:( school and AH are really sucking the lifeforce out of me.

Stung 02-16-2015 08:54 PM

We watched John Wick this weekend, it was pretty much a glossier version of a Kill Bill type of movie, not my cup of tea. I'm looking forward to seeing The Theory of Everything later this week and Selma looks really good too!

NWGRITS 02-16-2015 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by Stung (Post 5206398)
We watched John Wick this weekend, it was pretty much a glossier version of a Kill Bill type of movie, not my cup of tea. I'm looking forward to seeing The Theory of Everything later this week and Selma looks really good too!

You might not want to watch the last 30 minutes or so of Gone Girl. It was played down from the book, but even my husband was like, "Holy sh*t, that's a lot of blood!" And we had watched John Wick the night before. We really enjoyed both. I was happy to see Keanu make such a strong comeback.