Annoyed, a little mad!

Old 01-22-2015, 02:49 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

it's a freakin' typing shortcut. an easy way to identify who you are talking about. blame the texting world for all the acronyms we use today.

good grief.
Old 01-22-2015, 02:49 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Maybe next time, you should just call him what he is and spell it out for some people... an ALCOHOLIC. lol
Old 01-22-2015, 03:09 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
hmmmm. I am thinking that often A(anything) often equals DQ.

where DQ = Drama Queen.

Hey, Iamthird -- Let's you know why it is X, huh?
See...here's where this can get all mixed up....I was thinking you were talking about DAIRY QUEEN and I instantly started craving ice cream........kind of like I thought the righteous brothers were black..HA HA

in the end, the question DID NOT get answered. Who cares what we call them...I'm sure it would NOT offend me if my RA called me his CW (codie wife) or whatever. Who the hell cares. iamthird, don't worry about it.

HUGS ALL AROUND
Old 01-22-2015, 03:34 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Well when I first joined I didn't read the stickies and I thought you all were calling them A@@Holes!! And I thought......Damn, they are not playing around. Then I decided to educate myself.

And let's face it, in the heat of the moment I am sure we have all said a few things that are far worse than alcoholic husband.

Old 01-22-2015, 03:42 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

A Short Story:

I thought I married H but he turned out to be AH. After lots of drama and heartache he is now my XAH. My life is better and I am healing.

I don't see a problem with your terminology.
Old 01-22-2015, 03:56 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I thought we were not allowed to start threads about other posters? it is confusing, because I recently ranted about another post where a poster had annoyed me with their response and MY post was removed.

different rules for different people? there should be clear cut rules for everyone, not coddling.
Old 01-22-2015, 04:02 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

AH to me means a-hole. Lol. That's what they are most of the time anyway
Old 01-22-2015, 04:03 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Location: The planet Earth, or at least that's what I've been told.
iamthird -

I think language can actually be very powerful, so in a way I understand their complaint.

I used to volunteer with children with autism and at the time everyone used to refer to them as "he's autistic" or "she's autistic". No one thought anything of labeling them.

But now I think that people are starting to realize that people are NOT their disease. People HAVE a disease, but it is not them. So now people say "she has autism".

Take cancer for example. No one says "she's cancer". If they did, I think it would be understandable why some people would be offended. By referring to someone according to their disease, we are dehumanizing them. Although I admit, I have been just as guilty by calling people "addict". Maybe instead of rejecting their concerns, we should be more sensitive to them.
Old 01-22-2015, 04:25 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

What sticks out to me, when I read the A boards, is that-- here we are over on the F&F boards, most of us struggling to regain sanity and heal from years of chaos/abuse/selfishness/life wreckage-- and over on their boards, I don't see much acknowledgement of the damage they have caused others. Is that normal? I actually see more, "Hey don't beat yourself up, man." Sometimes I want to scream, "NO! Do you even care how your wife felt?!" I just shut it down and head back over here.

That's why it means a lot to me when a recovering alcoholic posts over here to lend support and they GET it. They acknowledge the past pain they might have caused. That does a lot to soften me from the anger.

(I don't mean to offend any Alcoholics, but I'm sure I probably did.)
Old 01-22-2015, 04:26 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

MOSBUTS = My Once Sober, But Using Today, Spouse.
Old 01-22-2015, 04:38 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Engineer Things; LOVE People

Originally Posted by Chantal88 View Post

I think language can actually be very powerful, so in a way I understand their complaint.
dunno if you have ever been to an AA meeting -- generally everyone there who is in AA self ID's as an A.

Goes Like --

Joe: Hi, I am Joe, and I am an A.
Group: Hi Joe.

Reason seems to be it overcomes denial.

From what I have observed, the A's that are Actually Working The Program -- Have no problem with that.

No real comparison at all to Autistic Children, that I can find. I suppose other than Autism and Alcohol both start with A. But this is not Sesame Street, and I digress.

By referring to someone according to their disease, we are dehumanizing them.
Or facing reality.

Seems the latest PC term in Alanonese is "My Qualifier."

Per Juliet -- What's in a name? That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet.

or as Sour.
Old 01-22-2015, 04:41 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Location: The planet Earth, or at least that's what I've been told.
Hammer -

This may be a misinterpretation, but your response seemed a little snarky, was that your intent?
Old 01-22-2015, 04:47 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bullfrog View Post
What sticks out to me, when I read the A boards, is that-- here we are over on the F&F boards, most of us struggling to regain sanity and heal from years of chaos/abuse/selfishness/life wreckage-- and over on their boards, I don't see much acknowledgement of the damage they have caused others. Is that normal? I actually see more, "Hey don't beat yourself up, man." Sometimes I want to scream, "NO! Do you even care how your wife felt?!" I just shut it down and head back over here.

That's why it means a lot to me when a recovering alcoholic posts over here to lend support and they GET it. They acknowledge the past pain they might have caused. That does a lot to soften me from the anger.

(I don't mean to offend any Alcoholics, but I'm sure I probably did.)
Some wake up offended.

As do some non-A's.

So I would not lose any sleep over it.

---------------------

But per your observations -- the conditions of:

"Rarely says Thank You, and Never says I am Sorry."

(FIL's description of Mrs. Hammer's behavior) . . .

Dunno if you worked into the Steps, yet? All the way from 4 to 10 is ALL about what you are observing -- or more like the Total Lack of.

IF they ever work those Steps -- you would see quite a different set of behaviors.

BUT, truth is Few Do. Actually work the Steps, that is.

But as wiser voices have said -- Ye shall know a tree by its fruit.

Or as I say:

A Dog Barks,
A Cat Goes Meow,
A Cow Goes Mooo,
and
An Unrepentant A . . . . acts like an Unrepentant A.

As a good note -- once you understand that, it makes it REALLY easy to tell what you are dealing with.
Old 01-22-2015, 04:48 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Chantal88 View Post
Hammer -

This may be a misinterpretation, but your response seemed a little snarky, was that your intent?
Naw. Probably just a style thing, I would think.

Suppose take what you like, leave the rest?
Old 01-22-2015, 04:53 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I do read the threads in the Newcomers, Alcoholism, and Substance Abuse Forums of SR because it helps me understand a small part of what it must be like to struggle with addiction in its many forms. However, I rarely post there.

I'm really sorry that you received the response you did, Iamthird. However, I do empathize with the idea of people not wanting to be labeled or reduced to an initial or set of initials. I think people are allowed to feel the way they feel--you included. In the United States where vaulted positions and organizations are reduced to acronyms (POTUS, FLOTUS, and SCOTUS), these abbreviations seem almost inevitable.

In any case, in order to avoid any further acrimony between the two communities, I think we should move along. Therefore, I'm closing the thread.