Am I Being Naive?

Old 01-02-2015, 09:09 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Apparently, I mastered the quoting. Whew! But, in the process, I forgot to thank LexieCat, hopeful4 and ubntubnt in my last post. Thanks everyone!
Old 01-02-2015, 09:16 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by brightdaysahead View Post
Whether or not he poured the alcohol? Unfortunately, that mystery will not be solved. So, I stuck with the facts (liquor receipts). He shouldn't have been in the liquor store at all, and he knows that. So, whether I should believe him or not? Well - I don't have that answer. Certainly, trust has been somewhat compromised. And, that falls squarely on his shoulders. He knows that too. Beyond that, my thoughts have turned to SR, Al-Anon and be supportive to my husband during this difficult trial in his life.
This sounds like a very solid plan. I am happy to hear you say you recognize this is on him and you are going to get support for you. Thumbs Up!!!!
Old 01-02-2015, 09:28 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Well - I am attempting to reference a quote from Hopeful4. Hopefully, I've mastered quoting another's post. I apologize in advance if it didn't work. Whether or not he poured the alcohol? Unfortunately, that mystery will not be solved. So, I stuck with the facts (liquor receipts). He shouldn't have been in the liquor store at all, and he knows that. So, whether I should believe him or not? Well - I don't have that answer. Certainly, trust has been somewhat compromised. And, that falls squarely on his shoulders. He knows that too. Beyond that, my thoughts have turned to SR, Al-Anon and be supportive to my husband during this difficult trial in his life.
Please don't take this as being mean. Yes you are correct about the receipts. He should have never been in there. And hearing him say he poured them out is to the normal mind ridiculous sounding and you know it. You need to learn early on, they will lie about whatever you pry into. Honesty to you (or anyone but an enabler), will be the LAST thing they want to be. And he will layer lies upon lies to hide what is buried below them, which is alcohol. My XAGF lied about cheating, repeatedly. To get to the cheating meant I had to get through the layers of lies as to where she said she was when she wasn't home. When it finally comes out that she cheated, she figures, OK, now I am in the clear and have protected my drinking. Let him be mad at me for cheating, but keep the drinking protected. It gets that sick for them.

You will at some point learn about detachment. The sooner you stop worrying if he drinks, or lies or etc., the sooner your life will get back into focus. You aren't doing any of these, so they should not be in control of your time. Alcoholism is a very destructive disease. It will make you almost as sick as him in many ways. It will take all the energy from you, you want to give it.
Old 01-02-2015, 09:57 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hangnbyathread View Post
Please don't take this as being mean. Yes you are correct about the receipts. He should have never been in there. And hearing him say he poured them out is to the normal mind ridiculous sounding and you know it. You need to learn early on, they will lie about whatever you pry into.
Point well taken. That's the unfortunate part with this...dishonesty. I would have NEVER thought my husband would have been dishonest. NEVER. But, there you go - little did I know. I still believe in him though. That might be my own downfall. Time will tell. But, in the meantime, I wholeheartedly agree with you - I need to learn detachment...like NOW. I don't want to board this emotional rollercoaster ride.
Old 01-02-2015, 12:58 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Point well taken. That's the unfortunate part with this...dishonesty. I would have NEVER thought my husband would have been dishonest. NEVER. But, there you go - little did I know. I still believe in him though. That might be my own downfall. Time will tell. But, in the meantime, I wholeheartedly agree with you - I need to learn detachment...like NOW. I don't want to board this emotional rollercoaster ride.
I was single for years. Happily. When I decided to have a relationship, you have a preconceived idea that that person will treat you as you would treat them. Kind of the Golden Rule idea. So while that sounds good, and noble and easy to understand, what I learned about being with an AC, is every perception you have as normal or what they would never do; Forget it. By the time I was done....NOTHING ....and I mean NOTHING would ever be a surprise to me again. It made me physically sick to learn what she had done. I certainly never wanted to ever touch her again. And it no longer mattered to me what she was doing, who she was doing it with, etc. You get that emotionally spent from it.

They can be sorry all the wanted. You can't put the bullet back in once it leaves the barrel.