Would like to hear your thoughts and advice

Old 11-28-2014, 03:14 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Engineer Things; LOVE People

mkay.

I am supposed to have my "be nice" holiday filters on . . . but . . ..

some guy to guy talk here.

Do not even worry about the crazy woman.

And yeah, we know, crazy often means crazy in bed, too. But . . . . This stuff . . . this is not Crazy in a good way.

Do not even worry about the Crazy Woman for a minute.

WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU THAT YOU HAVE CRAZY CRAP LIKE THIS IN YOUR LIFE?

Stop This. Now.

You have kids. Someone has to be the grown up.

Good job there. Give her the boot and keep her long gone.

You follow when things are that crazy, you are likely dealing with a Mental Illness?

That means it may never get "all better" even in the absence of the addiction.
Old 11-28-2014, 03:27 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Very wise choice. I'm pretty sure we've all heard the "through counceling she is finding out why she sabotages everything when the times are happy" crap. To me, this indicates it is still all about HER. Real recovery will be when she can take a look at what she's done to your son and her daughter and think about how she can make amends.

As Pink says: "want back my ignorance and bliss"
Old 11-28-2014, 03:57 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

This is a good decision. I would also suggest that you block her from calling and texting you. If you have an android, Mrnumber is a very good app and free.
I hope you will stick to your resolve, no one deserves to be physically abused and yours was definitely a DV relationship.
Stick around, you will find a lot of support here. I would also suggest that you start seeing a therapist or check out Al Anon.
Old 11-28-2014, 04:05 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Engineer Things; LOVE People

I know you are early into this, but this guy may be talking about your situation.

Not the greatest quality video, but the content is EXCELLENT.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zD3XHUnrjyY
Old 11-28-2014, 04:42 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Although some abusers are also alcoholics, not all alcoholics are abusers. Whether she is drinking or not is highly unlikely to change that part of her behaviour, it will simply come through more in her sober state than it has so-far.

Also, as others have mentioned, unless she is really working a program of complete change, she WILL relapse. In fact she almost certainly will, several times, before she achieves any significant sobriety even with a program. It's not a quick fix. You're looking at years of unstable behaviour, mood swings and uncertainty of whether she will stay sober this time or not. And that's without the abuse. Add an abusive aggressive/manipulative personality into the mix...

This is not a relationship, it's a sentence not only for you but for both your children and any friends or relatives who will have to witness or experience the fall out.

Whatever you decide, I highly recommend alanon and also the book "co-dependent no more" by melodie Bettie. I think you might. find them as invaluable as many of us have.

Welcome.
Old 11-28-2014, 05:42 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I know it's hard and terribly painful, but you are going to find peace and so will your kids. You have also taught your children what to do if they should ever find themselves in a similar situation in their future.
Old 11-28-2014, 05:44 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I guess..........

RUN away fast?

You can't fix her.........

Originally Posted by ConfusedInOr View Post
Hello all..........first time poster here. Looking to hear back from others about my situation because I'm confused, angry and a bit lost in this whole mess.

I've been in a relationship now for almost 6 years with a woman who has a drinking problem. When we first got together I didn't know she had one. It really started showing up about a month and a half into the relationship. I'm not sure why I stayed so long with her after some of the things she has done.......but I did. Her problem is there is no social drinking with a beer or two or glass of wine. Its drink until you run out of alcohol or black out of pass out, whichever comes first. When she drinks she changes. The more drinks she has the more verbally abusive she gets. It gets to a point where her change is like Jekyll/Hyde and her verbal abuse turns to physical abuse. Whenever everything seems to be fine and she is sober for a time she sabotages our happiness.....creates all these things in her head.

Some examples of things she's done:

My mom died of cancer during our first year of our relationship. I'd be depressed as hell and just want to come to her house for some comfort. I would come home to her drinking with friends....everyday. A day or two before the funeral she was at her friends drinking and called and asked me to pick her up. She gets in the car and flips out on me asking whats my f-ing problem. I look at her and remind her my mom died. She rips into me telling me to quit being a little whiny p&*^y! Tells me to get over it everyone dies. Looks at me and makes crying noises. Next day doesn't remember a thing. Promises she's quitting. Another time we were with friends and she gets drunk off wine and everything was fine. As soon as we get in the car driving down the highway she flips out and tried to get out while I'm going 60mph. I had to hold her arm all the way home. Get home and she chases me all over the house for about 4 5 hours. Punching and kicking and shoving me. I had lumps and bruises all over the next day. Of course.......she doesn't remember a thing and promises to seek help and quit. There are dozens of these types of incidents. I have stood by her begging and pleading with her to get help, explaining to her over and over what it is doing to me. Her drinking is a cycle......... it starts out with minor incidents of verbal abuse that lead to her being blacked out and physical abuse. After it reaches this point is where the promises and the please forgive me it will never happen again come out. Then she sobers up for 5 to 6 months give or take a month or two. And the process starts over.

During the summer she spent two months drinking....all during the day while I am working. During this time all the abuse was verbal. Finally on 9/11 about 10pm comes home drunk attacks my son.....I came into my son's room and pull her off twice.... She looks over at me looking absolutely possessed and screams "I f-ing hate you!" and punches me about 6 times in the head her daughter calls the cops and her friend helps get her out of the house.....the entire time she is screaming at the top her lungs obscenities at me and threatening to kill me and burn down the house. So she goes to jail for 5 days, I get a restraining order on her to protect myself and the kids in case she gets out and starts drinking again. There is also a no contact order. I since dropped the restraining order now that I see she is trying to sober up. My problem is she professes her love for me and wants to stay together and according to her "I have finally seen the light"...... blah blah blah. Swears up and down that she never meant any of the stuff she has said or did that it was the alcohol. On her own she goes to anger management classes and counceling. Says through counceling she is finding out why she sabotages everything when the times are happy. Claims she finally knows what her drinking has done. I counter that I've heard all this from you time and time again..... according to her this time is different.

I'm am stuck being heartbroken over the whole thing, lost, confused, angry....pretty much just a wide array of feelings. I don't know what to do and I tell her this. Part of me wants to continue to stand by her and try to fix the mess and part of me has been through enough. She claims I am not there for her because I can't just except her apologies and say we are together. She calls and texts quite a few times everyday demanding answers and won't accept my feelings and where I am and what I think.

Thanks for listening all.........
Old 04-01-2015, 12:08 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

It was hard but I eventually walked away for good after coming home and finding her passed out in my driveway........ After coming to terms with things almost immediately met an amazing woman who is showing me what it really is like to be loved and cared for. I didn't know life could be this amazing!!!!!
Old 04-01-2015, 12:20 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Hey, Confused -- glad you're unconfused and have moved on!!!
Old 04-01-2015, 12:30 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Glad it worked out--thank you so much for sharing a happy update
Old 04-01-2015, 12:32 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

What's that expression............Leap and the net shall appear!!!!!

Good for you that you took that leap.
Old 04-01-2015, 12:35 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Hey, Confused, thanks a lot for coming back to update us! Man, I love to hear stuff like what you posted. Congratulations on your progress in your recovery. Good work!

Old 04-01-2015, 12:44 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Thanks for the update - glad to hear you are happy and in a peaceful situation!!!
Old 04-01-2015, 01:07 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Good for you (un)confused!

Good things happen, when we take that leap of faith and believe in ourselves.
Old 04-01-2015, 09:14 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Hate to say it, but anybody touches my kids 23/27 they will get their ass beat down quick! My son is a Ranger and my daughter is a scrapper. It would happen once. Abuse is NEVER acceptable. I don't have much to add to what these good people have said. So I will sum it up in street lingo. Ahem, kick this psycho b$@? To the mother lovin' gutter! You know what has to be done or you wouldn't be here my dear. Do not waste one more second on her! ((((Hugs)))
Old 04-01-2015, 09:15 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Update--- good for you! I went blind with your post and didn't read the epilogue! Well done!