Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Alcoholics
Reload this Page >

So Sorry You Guys, But I Relapsed Back to Husband and Feeling VERY Anxious

So Sorry You Guys, But I Relapsed Back to Husband and Feeling VERY Anxious

Old 11-25-2014, 04:25 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Jb,

I'm glad you're getting counseling, and it's probably for the best that you not mention it to him. Don't give up on yourself, and if he DOES become violent don't listen to any "I told you so's" (people around here aren't likely to say it, but some people might). Just keep working on getting stronger and pulling together all the resources at your disposal.

We're all concerned about you, and I know you have your safety plan and all, but please keep being careful. A safety plan isn't foolproof.
Old 11-25-2014, 05:35 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

I am deeply concerned for you justbreath1980...

I genuinely mean that. Lexicat is right.. safety plans are not foolproof.
Old 11-25-2014, 05:55 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LexieCat View Post
A DUI or police intervention might be just what he DID need. And, seriously, your sacrificing yourself is NOT going to save him. You know that, don't you? He drinks because he is an alcoholic. He abuses because he is abusive. Only HE can change those actions, and only IF he is totally committed to that change.

I'd like you to think about the possibility that your being there for him, no matter how he treats you, is enabling him to continue to drink and to abuse you. Think about it--all he has to do is say he's sorry and you are right back there.

I'm not BLAMING you because I know how convincing they can be. I'm just trying to give you another voice in your head to counter what you are telling yourself (as exemplified in that last post).
SO right.
Old 11-25-2014, 11:16 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Today is Day 3 for him without any alcohol, just smoking weed with no alcohol in the house. He has been very nice. But I am subtly paying attention to him and realizing some things. Even though he has not been drinking, I notice an anger in him. For example, when the tv does not work right, he develops an anger that has a certain force to it, even though he recovers from it (because he is not drinking). When he drinks, this anger takes on a new level with very belligerent force (which is why I very much am certain why he needs to abstain from drinking).

Knowing this and choosing to be with him, I realize that I need to be careful and aware when I interact with him. He says that I push his buttons, which when he drank caused him to get very belligerent. For example, when he started to yell at me the other day for going the wrong way, I told him that this was not going to work. I asked him if he wanted counseling, and when he said no, I told him that I would document this. Did I really need to say that? Probably not. Did he need to start yelling at me in the first place? No. But I still did not need to push his buttons even though he caused it. So I am realizing that while I am still with him, if I do get angry with him, I need to choose my words better and watch more what I say because he is a ticking time bomb. In the meantime, I am so grateful he is not drinking because then there is no hope, and nothing I change about myself will really help him because he gets irrational when he drinks.
Old 11-25-2014, 11:34 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Jb, it's very true that you don't need to start arguments, or to engage in them.

But you shouldn't have to walk on eggshells, either. You can't "manage" his drinking or his abuse. Not over the long term. I'm afraid you're on the money when you say he is a "ticking time bomb." "Pushing his buttons" isn't an excuse for what he does to you. Do you realize that anything that displeases him is what he would consider "pushing his buttons?"

Two people in a relationship will get on each other's nerves sometimes. It's inevitable. This isn't about your irritating him. It's about his need to never ALLOW you to do anything that irritates him.

And I'm sorry to say that whether he is drinking or not, nothing you change about yourself will help him. It isn't your JOB to help him. And you aren't the problem to begin with. Not the problem that causes his drinking, and not the problem that causes his abuse. Please remember that.
Old 11-25-2014, 11:52 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LexieCat View Post
Jb, it's very true that you don't need to start arguments, or to engage in them.

But you shouldn't have to walk on eggshells, either. You can't "manage" his drinking or his abuse. Not over the long term. I'm afraid you're on the money when you say he is a "ticking time bomb." "Pushing his buttons" isn't an excuse for what he does to you. Do you realize that anything that displeases him is what he would consider "pushing his buttons?"

Two people in a relationship will get on each other's nerves sometimes. It's inevitable. This isn't about your irritating him. It's about his need to never ALLOW you to do anything that irritates him.

And I'm sorry to say that whether he is drinking or not, nothing you change about yourself will help him. It isn't your JOB to help him. And you aren't the problem to begin with. Not the problem that causes his drinking, and not the problem that causes his abuse. Please remember that.
Yes, you are right when you explained how anything that displeases him he considers pushing his buttons. And it's true that couples disagree, but that there is a way to disagree. He disagrees in a very angry way. For example, even when he was not drinking, he got very angry when I drove the wrong way or did not go the right way, and I remember in the beginning of our relationship crying about this. I had a friend the other night who gave me a better way to get somewhere, but he told me in a nice, gentle way, not a belligerent one.

All that I am saying is that because I am choosing to stay with him, a consequence of this is that I may have to walk on eggshells. That's just how it is since I am choosing to stay with him.
Old 11-26-2014, 01:02 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

I hope that counciling will show you that you deserve so much more than worrying about every word you say might set him off. This is no way to live, he is beating you down whether you realize it or not, he has you right where he wants. Your parents can see this, we can see this just from what you post.
It is possible to give directions without screaming at the driver....Can he drive? Can he behave like an adult and manage money? What if you have children and the baby's crying triggers him?
What if you fall ill and he has to assume responsibility? Will that trigger him?
He doe not wish to seek help, refuses professional or even the AA method of interaction.
You stated yourself that he has an underlying current of anger, drunk or sober, when he sees red, nothing is going to stop him.
i really hope that you find someone to speak with ftf who can lead you away from this trauma and back to a normal happy life. You cannot save him, he refuses to acknowledge his own issues. He will self destruct whether you are there or not. He is dragging you through hell with him.
Old 11-26-2014, 01:53 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

Are you in contact with your AA sponsor throughout all of this? Your sobriety is really important here... And that apprehension mentioned at the beginning, that is your intuition saying there is something wrong. Learn to listen to it.

I've read through here and it seems like you're going to see this through Justbreathe. There are red flags everywhere (enormous, Las Vegas Style, scrolling neon lights?) with still smoking pot, refusal of counseling and one meeting on Friday.... I know you have your safety plan. Check and recheck that it is good to go. I'm thinking about you.!
Old 11-26-2014, 02:02 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Hello,

Do you have the DV counselor arranged? Do you attend a home AA group and have a sponsor?

Your AH seems to be isolating you from your family. You commented earlier he did not like Al Anon as he felt it would help you decide to leave him.

Please keep taking steps for you and your own recovery.
Old 11-26-2014, 02:29 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Sometimes on this site I feel that members can be very fast to say "walk away" and "he won't change, things will only get worse" but then again these are lessons learned at the bleeding edge of life.
In this case I think the sensible things to do is to separate for a couple of months while he pulls himself together and consumes zero alcohol. You can then look to make a decision. I hate to say it but it really does seem unlikely that there is a fairytale ending to this story.
Old 11-26-2014, 04:43 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  
A work in progress

But you can STILL choose to leave, when you are ready to. You aren't stuck with this decision, and you don't "deserve" whatever may come.

Don't paint yourself into a corner, even if he tries to.

And I agree with CodeJob that you have to avoid isolation at all costs. Keep in close contact with your counselor(s) and your sponsor, and your family. One of the reasons it can feel impossible to leave is that abusers intentionally isolate you from anyone who can support you.
Old 11-26-2014, 12:00 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tamerua View Post
There are red flags everywhere (enormous, Las Vegas Style, scrolling neon lights?) with still smoking pot, refusal of counseling and one meeting on Friday....
I doubt he is actually going to these Friday meetings.
Old 11-26-2014, 12:14 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Knowing this and choosing to be with him, I realize that I need to be careful and aware when I interact with him.
How long can you keep on walking on eggshells? especially since you are in early sobriety yourself.
You must be so exhausted.
It is not a way to live . You do deserve to be happy, confident and free to be you.

Ps: I have walked in your shoes.
Old 11-26-2014, 12:19 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

JB, you must do this on your time frame, as you are ready. I am glad you are going to get a DV counselor and have a plan in place, that is wonderful good news.

We are here for you regardless of what choices you choose. This is your life, no one else's.

Tight Hugs. XXX
Old 11-26-2014, 12:25 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  

He sounds volatile and dangerous. Honestly I am afraid for you. No person should have to live in fear and walk on eggshells in their own home. Please take care of yourself. xo
Old 11-26-2014, 12:25 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fandy View Post
I hope that counciling will show you that you deserve so much more than worrying about every word you say might set him off. This is no way to live, he is beating you down whether you realize it or not, he has you right where he wants. Your parents can see this, we can see this just from what you post.
It is possible to give directions without screaming at the driver....Can he drive? Can he behave like an adult and manage money? What if you have children and the baby's crying triggers him?
What if you fall ill and he has to assume responsibility? Will that trigger him?
He doe not wish to seek help, refuses professional or even the AA method of interaction.
You stated yourself that he has an underlying current of anger, drunk or sober, when he sees red, nothing is going to stop him.
i really hope that you find someone to speak with ftf who can lead you away from this trauma and back to a normal happy life. You cannot save him, he refuses to acknowledge his own issues. He will self destruct whether you are there or not. He is dragging you through hell with him.
Thank you for your post. You are right when you say that it is possible to guide someone driving without screaming at the person. I remember when he even wasn't drinking, and he would get mad at me if I didn't drive the way he wanted me to, and I remember a couple times going home crying. He has not been driving because he was always drinking, but now that he is not drinking, he will also be driving, stoned or not. I am going to order a book on Amazon on men's anger and techniques to help him. It is supposed to be a good book. In the past few days, he has been treating me like how I should always be being treated, but this may just be because of what happened. But it shows me that he does have a choice in how he treats me, and whether or not he drinks (which he has not). The choice is his.
Old 11-26-2014, 12:28 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tamerua View Post
Are you in contact with your AA sponsor throughout all of this? Your sobriety is really important here... And that apprehension mentioned at the beginning, that is your intuition saying there is something wrong. Learn to listen to it.

I've read through here and it seems like you're going to see this through Justbreathe. There are red flags everywhere (enormous, Las Vegas Style, scrolling neon lights?) with still smoking pot, refusal of counseling and one meeting on Friday.... I know you have your safety plan. Check and recheck that it is good to go. I'm thinking about you.!
Yes, I am in contact with my AA sponsor, and I also have a couple close AA contacts. I am going to see this through. The only bright spot right now is that he has been sober from alcohol for 4 days now and has been treating me nicely.
Old 11-26-2014, 12:29 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CodeJob View Post
Hello,

Do you have the DV counselor arranged? Do you attend a home AA group and have a sponsor?

Your AH seems to be isolating you from your family. You commented earlier he did not like Al Anon as he felt it would help you decide to leave him.

Please keep taking steps for you and your own recovery.
Yes, I have my AA sponsor and my AA meetings. I still need to arrange the counseling, just been busy with the holiday tomorrow and work. I have also been somewhat depressed with low energy because of what happened on Saturday (when I had to leave him on the side of the road)
Old 11-26-2014, 12:31 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ubntubnt View Post
Sometimes on this site I feel that members can be very fast to say "walk away" and "he won't change, things will only get worse" but then again these are lessons learned at the bleeding edge of life.
In this case I think the sensible things to do is to separate for a couple of months while he pulls himself together and consumes zero alcohol. You can then look to make a decision. I hate to say it but it really does seem unlikely that there is a fairytale ending to this story.
I separated from him for 1 day but chose to move back. There is unlikely to be any further separation at this time because he has not been drinking and treating me nicely. Only time will tell where this goes.
Old 11-26-2014, 12:32 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by newhope01 View Post
I doubt he is actually going to these Friday meetings.
He goes, as we go together.