Counseling Tonight--Bring on the Prayers and Positive Vibes

Old 11-18-2014, 06:53 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

It sounds like it went as well as can be expected -- maybe even better, given that there wasn't any big blowup.
Old 11-18-2014, 06:56 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

When we walk away from people it crops up their abandonment issues. This is painful and perhaps why he gets upset.
When we say kindly, "I feel I need to take a break right now" and leave the room, that's usually better.

Without him getting well in recovery, all bets are off.
If he can find the willingness to go to recovery, things can markedly improve - slowly.

The Chapter in AA's Big Book called "To Wives" is helpful. You may know about this reading.

I wish you and your family all the best as you each move forward in your journey.
Old 11-18-2014, 06:57 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Wisconsin, your progress is absolutely amazing. Glad you are feeling better today.

Much love and many hugs coming your way!!!!
Old 11-18-2014, 08:22 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Went thru this same thing with my AH last night. Alot of my issues stem from his drinking, and we keep going in the cycle, she asked him if he knows how much pain has caused our marriage, would he be willing to give it up, he down right said no, he enjoys that, that's who he is and I shouldn't want to change who he is. So to me, he basically picked alcohol over his family. While the therapist said I can work on the things he needs from me, it is not going to do any good as long as he drinks. So I told him that he made his decision and I will leave it at that. Wel today he is being an ass and saying that I should work on my things to help our marriage and that its not all him. The counselor agreed that it will be hard for him to quit so he is using that as a boo hoo me line. He still doesn't get it. Thinks I need to work on me and we should work together. I am tired of banging my head against the wall trying to get him to see that if he does nothing for his problem that he will not see anything from me. GRRRRRRRR
Old 11-18-2014, 08:24 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by myfreedom View Post
I am tired of banging my head against the wall trying to get him to see that if he does nothing for his problem that he will not see anything from me. GRRRRRRRR
What would happen if you stopped trying to make him understand?
Old 11-18-2014, 10:53 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Wisconsin, you ROCK! You are such a GREAT example of what it takes to baby step through a plan of action in recovery. SO INSPIRING!
Old 11-18-2014, 01:50 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I will be honest here...I am totally celebrating my progress today. I have come a loooooong way from that person who, almost four years ago, sobbed and begged AH not to leave after I found evidence he had gotten a strange woman's phone number in a bar.

Who WAS that person who obsessively searched through his text messages? Who WAS that person who counted beers? Who WAS that person who stood by and allowed the verbal abuse to fly and fed into the whole dysfunctional situation? It was me. But it's not me anymore, and it never will be again.
Old 11-18-2014, 02:00 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Originally Posted by Wisconsin View Post
I will be honest here...I am totally celebrating my progress today. I have come a loooooong way from that person who, almost four years ago, sobbed and begged AH not to leave after I found evidence he had gotten a strange woman's phone number in a bar.

Who WAS that person who obsessively searched through his text messages? Who WAS that person who counted beers? Who WAS that person who stood by and allowed the verbal abuse to fly and fed into the whole dysfunctional situation? It was me. But it's not me anymore, and it never will be again.
You may not be THAT woman, but you THE woman! You've come a long way, baby.
Old 11-18-2014, 02:01 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hopeful4 View Post
Wisconsin, your progress is absolutely amazing. Glad you are feeling better today.

Much love and many hugs coming your way!!!!
I agree! Glad that today is a better day for you, friend! HUGS!
Old 11-18-2014, 02:09 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Thanks for the hope, W. Two years ago I sat in couple's counseling begging and crying and living out a completely dysfunctional relationship. Today, I'm only about 6 months into my own recovery from codependency, but I already can start to identify with the moments of strength you've been displaying. Keep up the great work--you're an inspiration to me!
Old 11-18-2014, 02:40 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LexieCat View Post
You may not be THAT woman, but you THE woman! You've come a long way, baby.
Amen! You are Wonder Woman!