"Self-Care Saturday"... do something for YOU today!

Old 07-19-2014, 03:20 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Share here, liz! Your recipe sounds delicious. Please and thank you!
Old 07-19-2014, 09:33 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I did two shows today. As they are their own reward, but very time-consuming,the closest I get to self-care today is using the heating pad on my sore shoulder, followed by a good ice before bed. While watching Lost. It's not much, but I will take it!
Old 07-20-2014, 01:31 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Didn't see this in time so it's now Sunday here but had a full on day yesterday with a yard sale in the morning, the kids made some money of their own so we went to Kmart before grocery shopping. Then my Mum and my brother came over and we played Carcasonne the boardgame. We haven't played in years and wouldn't at the house I shared with my partner because he'd make snide remarks about how geeky it is. Well screw him we had heaps of fun! Today I coordinated a community market day (thank goodness for my Mum and brother again for babysitting) we even had some youth we've been mentoring come and do their first market stall and I was so proud of their efforts I had a little cry in the car on the way home. These things are what life is worth living for! The kids and I are now rugged up inside watching reruns of X factor and it's bliss.
Old 07-20-2014, 03:15 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I wish I would have read this list yesterday before I made an impulsive decision to go visit axbf. Today will be my day to self care. Long nap and maybe a nice long walk while listening to my favorite music sounds good! Firesprite, love your positive posts!
Old 07-20-2014, 04:32 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

To go w my clean sheets I bought a lovely new duvet cover in the most gorgeous blues and I'm sitting here looking at my bed which looks lie something from a magazine!

And ah has never slept in it!
Old 07-20-2014, 05:00 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I just slept for 20 hours. Does that count?! Crazy.
Old 07-20-2014, 08:10 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Ok, 20 HOURS??! I am seriously jealous. YES that counts! kalanon - your share about the kids & your sponsored youth brought happy tears to my eyes. You are so right - these are the very things that make it all worth living for.

I didn't finish everything on my list yesterday AND got into a big argument with RAH last night (same argument for the 842nd time ) so I'm down with carrying SelfCare-Saturday into SelfCare-Sunday.

Especially since tomorrow will be a looooooong Monday..... after work I am co-hosting a new Women's Group we are trying to form in our area for women small-business owners who are looking for a no-BS support group where they can share with other women with like-kind challenges & ideas, but without any of the drama, gossip, small-talk, BS-filler crap that tends to overwhelm marketing & network groups of this type. (that was actually expressly written in the invites because we wanted clear communication about the intent from the get-go. It is also not a referral group where there is pressure to exchange prospecting leads.)

While it is business-centric, I also am presenting it as an all-life encompassing kind of approach.... because our emotions & spirituality DO spill over & play into the how's & why's of our business practices. (like we have been discussing in Stung's thread about Control) So I expect to include resources of all kinds - a lot of the books we've discussed here ("4 Agreements", Women, Food & God", "Who Moved My Cheese" etc.) in addition to books written specifically with business success models in mind as well. (E-Myth, etc.) I've been collecting info on small things like incorporating chair-style yoga into your daily desk-jockey lifestyle, etc. because these women have often gotten away from the basics of self-care a lot of the time. We included a salon owner in this initial test group who specializes in ashiatsu massage therapy because I know she'll bring a unique perspective to round out my CPA, Attorney, Dr., CFP group.

I guess I'm a little more excited/anxious about it than I realized.

Plus, now you've all given me SO MANY MORE ideas about things I want to do.

I checked my pantry Liz, & I've got everything on your list except the dries cherries (which I love, so I want to include them even if you list them as optional).

I did squeeze in about 30 mins of WiiFit last night & another half hour of yoga right before bed. It helped me stave off the late-night munchies, sleep pretty deeply & wake up feeling rested.

Today I am adding a foot soak to the list. I tried that one that was circulating on FaceBook about the Listerine/vinegar combo & believe it or not, it actually works.

Right now, I'm literally LOL because RAH just fixed a small hole in the screen on our back deck where the kitten had been managing to escape but Olaf hasn't quite figured that out yet. He keeps head-butting it trying to force his way through where the hole used to be..... getting a good, small running start & then.... WHACK! The baffled look on his face is hilarious.

Don't forget, ....... We ALL do!
Old 07-21-2014, 09:56 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I polished my nails this obnoxious teal color. LOL My 18 year old daughter has about 200 different shades. At least I didn't pick neon yellow. It was a very relaxing weekend. I also watched Oprah's Master Class on her network last night. It was Billy Bob Thornton and I love his work. Very interesting and insightful guy.
Old 07-23-2014, 11:05 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I love this thread! Just reading it from work today makes me feel at peace and relaxed thikning of all those things I could do for self-care. Thanks for sharing.
Old 07-23-2014, 05:26 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I love this thread, too! I've been very busy lately getting things in order for my new life. (I will post an update on THAT at a later date!)

One of my worst tendencies is to feel guilty about doing something I enjoy while there are chores (i.e. things I don't enjoy) needing to be done. So, I buckle down and do the tedious, boring stuff and refuse to let myself take a break and do something fun. Well, I finally had enough on Sunday and went out with my camera. It felt soooooo good, I did it again yesterday! And, I got some great photos, including this one:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
almostgone.jpg (100.3 KB, 63 views)
Old 01-30-2015, 01:25 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

So, it's Saturday tomorrow & I thought why not revive this thread?

What's on everybody's weekend agenda in terms of doing stuff for you????

I'm not positive of my plans just yet but I am hoping to go garage sale-ing with my mom in the morning, just for fun. I have already promised myself a hot, indulgent bath tonight & a long nap tomorrow. Probably a manicure too & definitely some yoga because I've been slacking.

DD has plans tomorrow night so RAH & I might get a semi-date night. If so, we'll probably just go for a ride on his motorcycle & take our time on a leisurely ride. It ought to be cool enough & long enough to blow the cobwebs right out of my brain, lol!
Old 01-30-2015, 01:59 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Thanks for reviving it, FS!!!

My biggest plan for self-care is TO SLEEP IN TOMORROW. It's been a week from hell and I'd take a good night's sleep over a weekend trip to Hawaii right now. Maybe I'll sleep in Sunday as well.

I'm also planning a long workout during the Superbowl (I'm not a football fan, and the gym is usually empty during that time).
Old 01-30-2015, 02:51 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jarp View Post
To go w my clean sheets I bought a lovely new duvet cover in the most gorgeous blues and I'm sitting here looking at my bed which looks lie something from a magazine!

And ah has never slept in it!
When my AH started his outpatient program on Monday, I told him he needed to start sleeping on the couch because we're not functioning as a normal couple right now and I need my space to regroup...

But in order to feel even more like it was fresh and new and even more MY space, I called a girlfriend and asked to borrow a spare set of sheets that he'd obviously never slept in with me. It made a huge difference!

So, I totally know what you mean and I love that you have a new duvet to enjoy!
Old 01-30-2015, 03:42 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I'm installing water detectors in my basement.

Don't laugh--it will keep me from running down to check every hour whether I'm about to be flooded with crap again.
Old 01-30-2015, 05:10 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

I am hoping to have a day out of bed! I have been monstrously sick for over a week; finally saw doc yesterday - yup, bronchitis, sinusitis, and possible walking pneumonia! Sheesh! I have various meds now, and my humble desire for my Saturday is simply to feel healthy again.

Hope all at SR are healthy and well tonight!
Old 01-30-2015, 06:03 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

I didn't have any plans for tomorrow but I've just made a date to meet a friend at a coffee shop for a couple of hours of writing, which I haven't made serious time for in a long while! She is a very good influence on me!
Old 01-30-2015, 07:03 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
A work in progress

WooHoo--it took me a LONG TIME to configure these wifi detectors (had to struggle with old Windows laptop--the initial setup doesn't have a Mac version, but now that it's set up I don't need the computer), but they are DA BOMB.

I just tested both of them by dribbling a little water on them. I promptly got email, phone call, and text telling me exactly which one is wet. So if I attach one sensor right below the place where the sewer pipe would leak, as well as one in my one corner of the basement where water sometimes comes in after a heavy rain, I should be fairly well protected.

I'm beginning to think that indoor plumbing is vastly overrated.
Old 01-31-2015, 02:36 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

What a great idea taking time for self you seem to have a plan so I have taken your advice and am following your lead I am sitting with hair dye on having a very nice cup of tea!
Old 01-31-2015, 12:25 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Yes! Thanks FS for bringing this back! After a healthy breakfast, I was inspired by your OP and decided to soak in an aromatherapy bath this morning with some Epsom salts (how does absorbing the magnesium help oneself btw?). I'm also planning on attending to some business stuff I've been putting off, and later a run by the the river we live near. Also an inspiration from your OP, if I can make myself do it, a facial with the facial stuff I bought but never seem to get around to using!

Love self-care Saturday!
Old 01-31-2015, 02:17 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

I worked out with my running buddy. Then I watched Dr. Who, Elementary, and meditated.