Al Anon Self Test

Old 11-02-2005, 12:29 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Kitkatii -

Alanon is a wonderful support group..don't be afraid to go by yourself..if you are a newcomer stay around after and people will talk to you..

And don't worry about your husband's reaction (I know easier said then done..) he'll probably deflect so he doesn't have to look at himself..
Old 11-02-2005, 12:40 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Minx, thanks.
I have always lived a sheltered life, never going to parties and never drawing attention to myself. I freeze when I am asked my name. For 30 years it has been just the children and myself. I have always stayed in the back ground never stepping out front. But I have no one to whin or cry to that isn't tired of hearing my sad story. Courage is something that I lack for myself. It is amazing how well my children have turned out when their Mother is such a coward.
Old 11-02-2005, 12:49 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

KitKatii -

Have you thought about counselling as well? There's always free (or discounted) services for women in abusive situations (i'm taking a leap here that you maybe have that in your relationship as well..)

But good for you for taking that first step..and you know what? You don't lack courage..Courage is coming to this board and asking for help..You have courage!
Old 11-02-2005, 12:49 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

I had 18 yes's. Eye opener. I could add a few too. lol
Old 11-02-2005, 01:26 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Minx,
I avoid trouble at all times when I see his temper rising. The last big blow out I did resort to calling in the Police. Now I just stay in m room and escape in my books. There are days when I do feel strong and look forward to venturing out to attend an Al-Anon meeting but something always comes up. Always.........I know what I have to do and the most important at the moment is to spend my time gaining strength from SR. I am sure it will only take one meeting to get me going.
Thanks
Old 02-21-2006, 10:31 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  
She needs to stop...

Wow...11 yeses..
Old 03-12-2006, 06:39 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  
To Life!

I remember this self test from a long time ago.
It's still valid.

Thought some newbies might find it helpful...

Shalom!
Old 06-19-2006, 08:01 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Bump again.

I had 10 yes answers tonight.

Hopefully I will have fewer in the future. I am at the beginning of my road.

I'm curious, though. For those of you who's yes answers have gone down, is that just because the program helped you start working on yourself, or has the situation with your alcoholic loved one improved as well?
Old 07-05-2006, 01:30 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

If you have answered 'yes' to three or more of these questions, Al-Anon or Alateen may help.
Oh my. I answered yea to 16. And to think this morning I was doubting myself for making him leave. He was telling me that I exaggerate his drinking problem. 16. (and I used to smell his breath all the time). : (
Old 07-05-2006, 02:22 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by cgdc1269
I'm curious, though. For those of you who's yes answers have gone down, is that just because the program helped you start working on yourself, or has the situation with your alcoholic loved one improved as well?
Since beginning my program of recovery (Al-Anon) 10 months ago, I am down to 2 yes's (from 17). #2 and #16. #2 because as we enter into the discovery stage of the divorce, I am finding out how much money he has gone through; and #16 is fading fast. I still have moments when I feel I failed, but they are fewer and far between.

This is only my experience. To date, my AH has not taken any steps toward recovery.

I am so grateful for where I am today.
Old 07-18-2006, 07:45 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Red face what makes an alcoholic

My husband frequently drinks. His behavior is embarressing at times and he tends to drink until he is full. He drinks on the average of 2 to 4 days a week. He doesn't seem to think that he has a problem but it reflects on my family, social and married life. It isn't bad enough that he drinks in excess, but the next day is almost worse. He is ugly and angry and has a mean mouth. Does he fit the catagory and if so, where do I start in this program.Thanks Michele
Old 07-18-2006, 07:52 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by michele1
My husband frequently drinks. His behavior is embarressing at times and he tends to drink until he is full. He drinks on the average of 2 to 4 days a week. He doesn't seem to think that he has a problem but it reflects on my family, social and married life. It isn't bad enough that he drinks in excess, but the next day is almost worse. He is ugly and angry and has a mean mouth. Does he fit the catagory and if so, where do I start in this program.Thanks Michele
Hi Michele

Here is a link if by program you mean al-anon
http://www.baycountyaa.com/

Welcome to the forum. Look forward to hearing from you. Have you started a thread here yet?
Old 07-19-2006, 05:37 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Hello and thank you for your reponse. What is a thread. I am new to this site. Could use a little guidance. Thanks
Old 07-19-2006, 07:24 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by michele1
Hello and thank you for your reponse. What is a thread. I am new to this site. Could use a little guidance. Thanks
Hi michele

A thread is each one of these posts that get started by someone with the topic they want to discuss. You can click "New Thread" towards the bottom of the page and then introduce yourself and post a question, etc. That way everyone gets to know you.

Glad you're here!
Old 08-01-2006, 08:57 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

There are days that I really feel like a hamster on a wheel and feel that I am getting nowhere.
The past few days, I've been reading this post and answering the questions. And I've come to realize that I have come a much longer way than I have been crediting myself for. That is not to say that I couldn't do better because I know that I can - but wow! to see all the questions that I've previously answered "yes" to now become "no" truly shows me how much better that me and my life have gotten.
A work in progress, I am.