Intervention Letter to AM: Good or bad idea?

Old 04-06-2014, 03:54 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Recovering2 View Post
I would think long and hard about the purpose of the letters. What is it you are trying to accomplish? What do you want the outcome to be? There is an excellent chance you won't get the outcome you desire, then what? I looked into a professional intervention when my RABF was actively drinking. They are not cheap. And there are definite rules/boundaries with an intervention of any sort. Usually a rehab facility has been lined up, if the A agrees then they go that day. Each person who is involved has to be specific as to the consequences if the A chooses to not seek help. And you have to be sure family isn't going to back down on what they say. When you tell an A a consequence, then you back down, the A learns you don't mean what you say. You said the letter was cathartic for you. That may be the real purpose of the letter. For you to get your feelings out about this situation. I would maybe think about keeping the letter for yourself, to remind you of what YOU need to do moving forward. Find an AlAnon group near you. Seek support there, and learn everything you can. When you become able to set boundaries and lovingly detach from your Mom's behaviors, your life will get better. And she will notice.
I really appreciate your advise! While I'm investigating intervention professionals will look into ALNON groups in my area and see if my sister will attend with me. I do not want to ruin my relationship with my mother by giving her the notes that might hurt her deeply( which is not what they're meant to do) but they are truthful and tell her how she is hurting us & she is absolutely empathetic. She's an emotional person and I just want her to get better it makes me so freaking angry anymore! I'm not like that! I am just like her, & I had to quit drinking, myself because I will likely be in her shoes in 20 years if I kept on the way I was. Again, thanks for your advise.