Thoughts on Librium...?

Old 04-06-2014, 04:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thoughts on Librium...?

When my AM was hospitalized they found booze, Ambien, and muscle relaxers in her system. She was near death. It was terrifying. While she was in the hospital, my sister and I removed all the medication from her home. She often self-medicates & over-medicates. Since she works in healthcare her medicine cabinet looked like a pharmacy...in addition...She is an alcoholic. Because of the damage to her kidneys and liver, she was told she could not take meds like Wellbutrin and Ibuprofen . Well, one the medicines we took was Librium...now, she's told me her DR. said she could start taking it again. Perhaps this means she wants to quit drinking...? Or is this just another addictive crutch? Any alternative remedies, available?
Old 04-06-2014, 04:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Librium is "the" original benzodiazepam. Its an old drug I really have not heard of it used recently. Its in the family of commonly known drugs like xanax and valium. It is highly addictive.

It is used for alcohol withdrawal among other things. It works on the brain in the same way alcohol does. IMO (I am not a doctor) it should only be used for a short time in detox under medical supervision.

Not a fan of replacing one addiction with another.

With your mom's level of alcoholism I would *guess* a medical detox a necessity. She could get very sick trying to do it on her own, she could die.

I am not sure what you are asking - is she asking for the return of the medication? Are you questioning whether or not to give it back to her?

The only remedy I know of for alcoholism or addiction is choosing recovery. I don't know of any alternative therapies but for her, a medical detox I would say is protocol.
Old 04-06-2014, 04:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I absolutely agree on your sentiments of replacing one addiction for another, Redatlanta. I think she wants to recover, but she wants to do it privately, because she has yet to admit she has a drinking problem. But you are right, it sounds too dangerous. She had seizures during her hospitalization, we don't know if it was from low electrolytes, alcohol withdrawal... It could have very well been withdrawal from Librium. I hope her DR will talk to me, perhaps he can point me in the direction of a good rehab where she can detox (again:/) with medical support.