Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Alcoholics
Reload this Page >

Those Who Have Left Alcoholic Partners - Tell Us How Great It Is!

Those Who Have Left Alcoholic Partners - Tell Us How Great It Is!

Old 12-23-2013, 10:31 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

I m on my cell but in a nutshell, filing out that restraining order and kicking him out in 2002 was one of the best thing I ever did. Al Anon gave me the tools and strength.
Old 12-23-2013, 10:57 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Sorry, OnawaMiniya & Mightyqueen. Please just ignore my earlier comment. It really had nothing to do with the thread and is more about my crazy issues than anything else. I did not mean to project my own guilt onto anyone else. I wish you luck, OnawaMiniya. Prayers for peace and joy in 2014.
Old 12-23-2013, 11:01 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

It,s wonderful,you can sleep,relax,think,breathe.

Originally Posted by OnawaMiniya View Post
As some of you know, I'm currently working on getting things set up so that I can leave my incredibly abusive alcoholic husband.

Today has been a tough day. He's now drunkenly passed out in bed - thank heavens - but the evening was full of him picking fights, making no sense, being angry, throwing his lit cigarette at me as he said "eff you" and stormed away (because I said I wasn't going to engage in a [very stupid] fight with him outside, which is where I was to avoid him, and as some of you know we live where he works, making it even more stupid to have a fight outside...), etc. The usual crap. And let me tell you, as far as abuse goes, throwing a lit cigarette at me is NOTHING. And I mean NOTHING.

So, PLEASE, those of you that have had the strength to leave your alcoholic partner, tell me how great it is. Tell me what you love about no longer dealing with that, and living with that, etc. Tell me the wonderful little and big things you now look forward to when you walk through your door into your home.

I keep visualizing living without him, how neat and organized I can keep my new place once I leave, how nice it will be to not have to walk on eggshells, and how wonderful the PEACE will be...just me and my sweet doggie

Paint me a picture!

I want to read this thread whenever he gets to me, so I can quietly smile to myself, knowing that soon enough, that peace will be mine!

I mean life is still life, and of course life doesn't become perfect just because you left an alcoholic; but it must be so much easier to deal with the stress of life without dealing with an alcoholic at the same time.

(Also, I suspect this would be a good read for those who are in very bad situations, good food for thought as far as what they could look forward to.)

Thank you.

Wishing you all well.

Peace.
Old 12-23-2013, 11:16 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I wanted to thank you for making this post, because when I read it and then read Pohsfriend's comment, I thought -- yeah, I can see how it seems like (if you read this board) some of us who left are still miserable so what was the point of leaving???

I think that's why this post is so important.
Because I usually don't come here when I'm happy and to tell everyone how happy I am.
I come here when I'm struggling and want to hang out with people who get it.

I think it's similar to how when you read these boards you don't really get a feeling that anyone ever recovers successfully (unless you read enough that you know we have several double winners).

It's a bit like walking into a hospital and being surprised everyone's sick there.

So while you see a lot of panicky hurting posts from me here -- those are the exceptions, the remnants, of being in an alcoholic marriage. A larger and larger percent of my life is... normal. Yes, some of my problems relate to trauma from my first marriage. But most of my problems are normal problems -- how do you convince a highschooler to not poke 18 holes in their ears? how do you get the skinny preteen to actually eat something other than cereal? what are you gonna get aunty Em for Christmas?

I was talking with my hubby the other day -- he also comes from a dysfunctional first marriage -- and we were musing over all the stuff we don't get upset about. Like, I hear my normie friends b*tch about how their husbands put the toilet paper in upside down or leave the toilet seat up or drop their dirty socks under the coffee table. My male friends talk about how long their wives take to do their hair and how picky they are about the gardening, and how annoying that is. There's no way any of that would even rise to the level of annoyance for either my husband or me -- YET.

We laughed and said we both look forward to the day when we can get irritated about irrelevant stuff. But for now, we're really enjoying not sweating the small stuff, and realizing most everything IS pretty darn small. Compared to what we've lived through.
Old 12-23-2013, 11:26 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JustAGirl1971 View Post
Sorry, OnawaMiniya & Mightyqueen. Please just ignore my earlier comment. It really had nothing to do with the thread and is more about my crazy issues than anything else. I did not mean to project my own guilt onto anyone else. I wish you luck, OnawaMiniya. Prayers for peace and joy in 2014.
I wasn't offended or anything...I know we are in a similar spot, trying to get to a place where we are set to leave.

Thanks for the good wishes, and I wish you the same!

Old 12-23-2013, 11:49 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

What a great post, lillamy!

And I literally laughed out loud at the hospital comment...LOL!

Well, a board like this is for helping ourselves and others through the rough parts...So I think it's to be expected that a lot of the posts here are not exactly on the lighter side, just as you were saying. Also as you were saying, it's nice to have a place where people get it.

This board has taught me so very much, really. Really. I'm very grateful I stumbled across it during one of my many Google searches regarding having an alcoholic for a husband. I clicked on this forum from my search result, started reading, and couldn't stop. By far, the best result that ever popped up during my numerous searches.

I thought a thread like this would give me some hope and something to read over to help me stay focused, calm, and yes, even happy lol while I prepare to leave, when things get rough around here. Thought it would also be good for others to read who are also in the position of knowing they're going to leave, preparing, but still trying to get through the days that remain. And I'm glad you said, more or less, that this thread is good because of focusing on the good things in a situation...

I'm so happy for you that you're now in a loving relationship
~~~~~~~

Everyone on here who has left their alcoholic partner and is posting here the things that have improved since leaving, I really hope you all feel good writing out the positive things in your new lives! That reflecting on it for a moment made you smile. That it reminded you to be proud of yourself. That it reminded you that others are inspired by you.

I also want to thank everyone for their input, because I know that ending a relationship is never easy, even if you know it's definitely the right thing to do. And I know that there are things to struggle with by leaving, such as finances, jobs, moving (with or without children), shared custody (I know that is a difficult thing for many on here, worrying about their kids being in their ex's care), feeling lonely, and much more, and of course as noted in the original post, life in general - which isn't easy to begin with!

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to tell people like me what there is to look forward to in life after the alcoholic.

Keep em coming! I'm loving the responses!

Peace.
Old 12-23-2013, 12:02 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I agree. As adults in consensual relationships, we don't choose to be abused, nor do we choose the consequences we reap as a result of our A's choices. However, once that abuse occurs and we receive those consequences, if we don't change our circumstances (which is not necessarily the same as leaving or divorcing the A), we are choosing to stay in the situation we find untenable. And, I say that as the wife of an AH who is still in the marriage despite verbal, emotional, and past (mild) physical abuse. Despite the fact that we are in worse financial shape than we've been in our entire marriage (even though my salary is higher than it's ever been.) Despite the fact that my 15 yr old DS moved out of my house.

It's not at all easy for me to admit that I am currently choosing to stay, but if I'm going to get healthy, the first thing I need to do is be honest with myself. That means owning my choice. To be fair, it was initially a choice born of my decision not to choose. But, not choosing is a choice in itself. Now, I'm choosing to stay long enough to get to a point where I won't lose the house by having him leave. Hopefully, that's soon. If it's not, I think I'm finally nearly at the point where I'm willing to lose the house just to have peace for my remaining children and to get my other child home.

And, NO, saying that does NOT absolve the A of his responsibility for the situation we are currently in. But, him refusing to acknowledge his responsibility in this mess should have no bearing on whether I'm honest with myself about my own responsibility.

That said, due to the differences in each of our circumstances, we all arrive at this point on different time tables. I would never want to condemn or judge someone else because they chose to stay on the crazy train longer than I did. Nor would I want to be judged for staying on it longer than someone else. It is what it is, I guess.

And, maybe I feel like this because I see my own past failures, mistakes, bad choices, and bad behavior in all of this. For me to grow into the person I want to be (& have the peace I want to have), I have to acknowledge my role in this mess.
Great post. I hope your path brings you peace.

Highlighted the last sentence because it rings so true. I had to do the same despite the fact that I DID divorce my EXAH, because I still had to face up to and work through my own failures, mistakes, and bad choices even though he was gone. For one thing, we have a daughter and he will always be part of my life to some extent. For another thing--he couldn't have done everything rotten he did to me over 16 years without me letting it happen, and realizing that was a huge slap upside the head--and the incentive for me to change.

And I'm still working on it and probably always will be.
Old 12-23-2013, 12:03 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

It's been an alternately exhilarating and painful process. I am free, I have choices, I am empowered. I am also exhausted, I am overworked and too busy, and as a single parent on a limited income I don't have any cash or time to myself.

What I have is stability, predictability, the knowledge that the home I go home to tonight is safe, stable, and a refuge. I can get a full night of sleep every night.

He's now drunkenly passed out in bed - thank heavens - but the evening was full of him picking fights, making no sense, being angry, throwing his lit cigarette at me as he said "eff you" and stormed away (because I said I wasn't going to engage in a [very stupid] fight with him outside, which is where I was to avoid him, and as some of you know we live where he works, making it even more stupid to have a fight outside...), etc. The usual crap. And let me tell you, as far as abuse goes, throwing a lit cigarette at me is NOTHING. And I mean NOTHING.
Oh yeah, this was commonplace at my house. Almost daily, he threw things like pens, dishtowels, crumpled paper, and lit cigarettes at me, and turn on his heel and walk away muttering curses and names about me, sometimes just loud enough to passive-aggressively crush my feelings. It was always over completely reasonable things, and especially when I stood up for myself. He kept me in line like this -- always so hurt and confused that I couldn't say, "Get your **** and go, pal." Instead I was engaged in battles like, "Don't throw that at me," or, "You can't talk to me like that." Engaging on this level kept me occupied enough that we weren't engaging on the "I'm calling a lawyer" level, or the "You have a drinking problem and it's making *my* life unmanageable" level.

Guess what? NONE OF THAT. I deal with none of that now. Zero. Zilch. Zip.

Like, I hear my normie friends b*tch about how their husbands put the toilet paper in upside down or leave the toilet seat up or drop their dirty socks under the coffee table. My male friends talk about how long their wives take to do their hair and how picky they are about the gardening, and how annoying that is. There's no way any of that would even rise to the level of annoyance for either my husband or me.
Ha. Recently I listened to a family member talk about being so mad about what was on TV at the nail salon where she got a pedicure. At one point I stopped her and laughed, "I wish I had YOUR problems!" But she got mad at me -- this was a real issue for her. She needed that TV on something else.

It would never occur to me to demand that the person washing my feet and sanding my hooves down with a razor blade change the channel for me. It's a non-issue, a non-problem, because I've been given the gift of perspective. I am grateful that someone will take $20 to help me care for myself in that way. Washing someone's feet -- it's such a deeply humble thing.

I've learned what it means to let go and give up control over every aspect of everything. Coming through the other side of the pain of addiction and being married to someone who morphed into a monster right before my eyes, I feel this incredible lightness. I want to laugh, sing, dance, and play. I really do. Something shifted in me -- my whole life shifted, my perspective shifted. I relate to everything and everyone differently, my FOO, my kids, my job, my friends. Most importantly, myself. I don't know what he's doing now -- I don't think about him much except as the catalyst to all that pain, and all that lightness now. As far as I know, he latched on to new enablers and he's pretending to be sober with them too, until he isn't. Then he's very sorry, and he makes them know that he is sorry and they have to back off by snarling and throwing things when his life is unfair.

You don't have to be miserable.
Old 12-23-2013, 12:07 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ShootingStar1 View Post
Loss is never great. No matter why it comes to you, loss is painful, unwanted, unwelcome, less than, well, loss is LOSS.

Part of what we lose is the bad stuff.

Part of what we lose is the good stuff.

And for many of us, the most painful part of what we lose is the possibility of all those hopes, wishes, dreams ever becoming real.

What we remember, cherish as the memories of why we fell in love with this person, is a stark reminder of what we can never have again.

We have walked away from a life that for better or worse, for good reasons and bad, compelled us, moved us, drew us into its web, sometimes nurtured us, but as time went on, nearly extinguished the candle of our souls.

When I first left, I felt the profound relief of being safe first of all. I hid in an unlikely town, in a quiet apartment with lots of neighbors who would hear me if I cried out for help. It was physical safety I sought first, and I found it. I began to find emotional safety first more by the absence of the abuse and stridency of living in a raging alcoholic's presence than by the presence of anything.

No one yelled. No one demanded anything of me. No one criticized me. No one threatened to hang himself in the night outside our bedroom door. No one required my constant vigilance to try and keep him alive, or to try and mediate the increasing acrimonious interactions he was having with others. Constant vigilance on my part was not required to try less and less successfully to keep my own being intact emotionally.

There was an absence of stimulus, an absence of demands, an absence of abuse, an absence of intensity, drama and chaos. I found great relief in this.

I walked by the ocean with my loyal impish little dog, and people in my new small city began to smile at her antics, and at me, and I found an absence of dread. The wind on my face with the breath of the ocean began to breathe life back into me, and I took pleasure in the warmth of the sun on my shoulders, the bob of my picture hat as the breeze caught it, the faint scent of beach roses in its wake. I began to wake up and breathe again, and begin to feel again.

Sometimes it was hard. I remember seeing a older couple, perhaps in their early 80’s, walking on the ocean boulevard, slowly, enjoying the sights and sounds of the ocean, holding hands and swinging their interlocked arms as they walked so that in silhouette, they looked like one joyous being. And I cried for all that had been and all that wouldn’t be.

The winter was long and hard and cold and icy, as New England winters are wont to be. I got sick with bronchitis, walking pneumonia, and my quiet apartment became my refuge, my sanctuary against the onslaught that I had shut out when I left my home and my husband. My body, with the release of the tension that had held me together for so long, expressed the dis-ease I had held within for so long. And I struggled with the emotional toll that I incurred from bearing my prior life so long without being able to acknowledge its cost.

And I began to find solace, there, alone with my music and books and my always happy little dog. I cooked for myself, I wrote, and I began to heal emotionally even as my body began to recover. My grown children supported me emotionally wholly and with great generosity of spirit. I began to heal, to rebuild my immunity to devastation and desperation. I began to find peace and to reconnect to the spiritual well that I had drawn upon in years past. Though seemingly lost to me for so long, I found it still available and fulfilling.

I began to sort through the stuff of my physical and emotional lives, to sort out the debris and recognize the treasures I wanted to keep. And I began to re-form, perhaps “reform”, what was worth keeping and rebuilding my life around as I moved forward. The future began to have a place in my thinking.

The divorce negotiations finally moved after months of outrageous forays by my husband, and it seemed to me that he was finally comprehending that I had left, and I was gone. We had to work together to get our jointly owned home ready to sell, and I defied the good common sense of my family, friends, and therapist, and worked along side my soon to be divorced husband. He had moderated his drinking significantly, and had come to believe that his behavior had “been out of his mind” and seemed to feel genuine remorse. His wit and humor and good will were most prominent now, and he wanted me back.

People dear to me couldn’t understand why I saw him again; they saw me as the moth unable to stay away from the flame that would surely consume me. And in some ways they were right; each visit brought me back to the pain of the marriage and I felt again both the devastation of being in that marriage and the devastation of leaving that marriage.

But I have always been driven internally by a force that cannot be reckoned with and that compels me to understand so that I can be freed to be who I need to be. And going back and re-examining what had happened to me, and to us over the course of a twenty marriage at some core level deep inside me was essential and non-negotiable.

I saw him, now much less damaged, “less” alcoholic, if there is such a time-limited designation for someone who stays the course of alcoholism to try to regain something precious that they have lost; I saw him for who he was and I saw myself much more clearly as a player in this devastation we had wrought, and I owned my own behavior and I apologized for my part as did he for his part, and I did not go back.

He asked me to return, with great promises, in the flush of his greater emotional health, and it was excruciatingly painful, but I did not go back. Even as I worked with him and talked with him, the part of me that moves inexorably forward, was moving toward buying my own home in the community that had been my refuge, and is now my future.

I moved into my home in July and by September had gotten the last of the “keepers” of my possessions in my house. They weren’t necessarily what I had expected to take, and I am happy with the merging of old and new into what will be my foundation and refuge here in my new life. This fall I’ve had the repairs and renovations done to the house that I knew needed to be done when I bought it.

I’ve made trade-offs in many places. I gave up a dining room in order to keep my treasured piano, a gift from my beloved aunt who was a concert pianist, and I will play again. I gave up my perennial gardens, which had been a source of comfort and a way of nurturing in my former life, for a tiny lot in walking range in the city. I will make a tiny “courtyard” garden next summer, and take my former gardening time to earn a living as an artist.

Life still has its curveballs. In early December, I unexpectedly needed shoulder surgery, so I am confined to a sling and cannot work in my almost renovated studio for several months. So I have been taking this time as a spiritual respite and time to put the business bones of my art in place. I want to see if I can integrate what I have learned into the vision of my art.

More continues to process as I let go of more layers of who I was and what I did and how I want to be. I am still lonely at times, and I still cycle through occasional depression, loss, regret and pain. It is not as biting as it was, but it is still a progression toward resolution of loss and full participation in what I have and what I can create.

Mostly, I feel free, content, happy and invigorated. I am ready to re-enter the mainstream of life and make more friends and give to the community that has been such a spiritual solace.

This is, I know, far too long, but I have been through so many stages and changes since I ran away from my home and husband on July 4th 2012, and my hope is that this may be comfort to some of you contemplating or beginning such a journey. My early story is in a post on the sticky “What Is Abuse” at the top of the Friends and Families of Alcoholics SR forum index page if you want to see what propelled me out of my marriage.

ShootingStar1
I hope, Shooting Star1, that you write, even if it's just for yourself, outside of Internet forum posts, because you have a talent for expressing yourself in the written word.

There was so much truth and beauty in that post. Thank you.
Old 12-23-2013, 12:10 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I must have missed it, because I didn't see anything in your post to apologize for.

And "Crazy Issues" R Us!
Old 12-23-2013, 12:11 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hawkeye13 View Post
Have you read the above posts PohsFriend?

Many of these people, and many others I've read on this site, do seem to be much happier than they were and pretty quickly when removed from the acute suffering they were in.

It is terrific you have had your situation work out, and we are happy for you and your wife. But you seem to generalizing your ideology to others. I don't think it always translates. Peace to you
No it doesn't translate. If someone feels like they will be much happier away from the person I don't understand why they are delaying it.

I might be wrong but I think there is a big difference between feeling certain that you made the right decision and being happy about it.

Whether the spouse is an alcoholic or abusive or whatever may be wrong with them I just haven't seen many people walk away with a big smile and most need some time to heal and mourn the loss of the relationship. Maybe some don't.
Old 12-23-2013, 12:30 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PohsFriend View Post
No it doesn't translate. If someone feels like they will be much happier away from the person I don't understand why they are delaying it.

I might be wrong but I think there is a big difference between feeling certain that you made the right decision and being happy about it.

Whether the spouse is an alcoholic or abusive or whatever may be wrong with them I just haven't seen many people walk away with a big smile and most need some time to heal and mourn the loss of the relationship. Maybe some don't.
This thread is about celebrating the good things that come with freeing yourself of a life with an alcoholic.

As stated in my original post, which it seems you responded to after merely reading the title and nothing more, life is going to come with problems regardless. I also never implied that leaving was easy, that it wasn't painful, etc. That's a given in most cases. Your statement above in bold is something that I never stated nor implied.

Many of the people responding on this thread have also pointed out the difficulties they have had in leaving. There's no problem there, because they are simply relating their story.

If you'd like to talk only about how miserable it is to leave an alcoholic, (though you are now together again), or argue that there is nothing good, positive, or happy that can come of leaving (you seem to apply your own story as though it's everyone's story, which isn't the case) then please start another thread.

The purpose of this thread, which I clearly stated, was to give inspiration and hope to myself, others like me who know they will leave but are currently preparing to do so and have some rough days ahead of them to tough out, and to those who could perhaps use a glimpse into what their lives could be if they made the decision to leave.

So, since this thread is intended to be a thread of celebration, strength, and hope, please stop commenting, because you don't seem to have anything to say that has anything to do with the actual request of this thread. You seem more interested in listening to yourself speak, and judging people for staying. If the point of this thread has to do with hope and inspiration and strength, you certainly seem to be trying hard to knock down those who wish to gain just that from this thread with your overly generalized blanket statements and judgements.

Hopefully I haven't offended any of the other posters.

I'd like to be done with this aspect of this thread, now.

Back to the point...
Old 12-23-2013, 12:56 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Sorry I offended you (again) as that was not my intention.

I certainly hope and pray that you find the strength you need and the happiness you seek. There are some wonderful ladies here like ShootingStar who expressed it much more eloquently.

So sincerely, I regret upsetting you and I am sorry I did. I am sure you are having a very tough time getting ready to do a very hard thing and I didn't mean to suggest your life won't be better and I surely hope that it will because everyone deserves to be happy and nobody should ever lose hope.

I only meant to say that if you leave you may find that you are scared, you may mourn the loss of what once was or might have been or never was but you wished it would have been. I hope day one is instant joy, relief, fun... but if it is not then don't be disappointed. It took a long time for the dreams and hopes you had to get to this point and when we've been hurt and beat down it can take time to make it all the way back but if you are a little closer to being happy and whole again today than you were yesterday it was a great day.

I wish you the best and very sincerely I'd like you to know that our misunderstanding about how we make and own our choice every day was not an indictment on those who stay in a bad situation. I truly meant the opposite - don't let it make you feel powerless because that takes away your hope and without hope? Well, we're kinda screwed without hope.

Today you chose to move closer to that big step, at some point before today you chose to start on that path. YOU chose to and that means YOU have it in you to be happy and have a quiet, content and serene life with that little doggie on your feet with nobody yelling at you or putting you down. If you don't take that big step tomorrow it's OK. You chose to handle things in a certain way and when ready you will chose to make that next step.

When you do, I hope it is great. If it isn't great but it is better then that's OK too, as long as you are pointed toward happy and determined not to let anyone divert you from it then you will be ok.

Sorry We hit each other's exposed nerves earlier but written words don't convey feelings well and I truly wish you luck and strength on the road ahead and believe you can do it, we all can, what we can't do is accept that things will never be any better than they are today or that we don't deserve to be happy. We do.

Apologies for commenting after you told me not to but hopefully you'll accept the peace offering in the spirit intended.

Good luck
Old 12-23-2013, 01:31 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Hello everyone,

I love this place.....and it works best when we share our own experience, listen, take what we want and leave the rest.

Accusations and back and forth arguing detract from the original question posed at the beginning of the thread.

Thanks everyone!
Old 12-23-2013, 03:11 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

POH, sent you a PM, but it won't get there until you clear your stored messages and make some space. I'll try to send it again in a while.

ShootingStar1
Old 12-23-2013, 03:14 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lillamy View Post

I was talking with my hubby the other day -- he also comes from a dysfunctional first marriage -- and we were musing over all the stuff we don't get upset about. Like, I hear my normie friends b*tch about how their husbands put the toilet paper in upside down or leave the toilet seat up or drop their dirty socks under the coffee table. My male friends talk about how long their wives take to do their hair and how picky they are about the gardening, and how annoying that is. There's no way any of that would even rise to the level of annoyance for either my husband or me -- YET.
I
Yes! Thank you for posting this! I remember when I used to get annoyed with AH for putting the TP upside down or leaving open the drawers, cabinets and fridge when he would make a sandwich. How I wish that that was a top complaint for me now. But I do have hope that either hubby will only be that annoying again someday or that someone else will give me frivolous things to complain about.
Old 12-23-2013, 03:16 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

I feel sad that Onawa's thread has gotten so far off track...for me the decision to leave the time leading up to it was a very vulnerable place to be in where I was in need of support more than I was at any other stage in my recovery....the worst thing that could have happened to me during that vulnerable time was to be put into the FOG (fear obligation and guilt)...I hope others come and share more ESH and Onawa I wish you a safe holiday and a serene path onward.
Old 12-23-2013, 03:19 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Although not an alcoholic, some may remember that I was married before to a man who decided to have an affair. What I don't talk about is that he was also emotionally and verbally abusive to me once he began the affair. Anything and everything he could say to make me feel bad, to make me feel that all that was wrong in his life was my fault, he did. He is the one who filed for the divorce, he is the one who would make and then cancel couples counseling appointments or just not show up, and yet everything was my fault told to me in vile language.

In spite of all of this, once I was in my own apartment by myself, I would cry myself to sleep each night for many, many weeks. But after a time, the light began to shine again. My little apartment was neat and tidy, everything was put away, the kitchen was clean, the bathroom was clean, I was not walking on eggshells all the time!! What a difference!

It took me about 6 months before I began to feel somewhat normal again. I continued counseling for a while so that I could learn about my choices and be a healthier me.

I am now married again to a fantastic, flawed, lovely, loving, warm thoughtful, incredibly intelligent man who loves me just as I am--warts and all! We don't live an exciting life, but it is ours and we love it.

And I am happy
Old 12-23-2013, 03:37 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

ShootingStar1, your post here really hit my heart strings. Beautiful writing and makes me want to be stronger! Thank you for posting.
Old 12-23-2013, 03:48 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

My husband put up with my stuff for 30 years and ended up becoming an addict himself 4 years ago. Sometimes I wish he would have left me as I was a very sick alcoholic/addict and I destroyed his life. I know he has no good memories for the last 14 years. We are both in recovery now. Him 2 years and me 1 yr.
It's getting better but some things will never get better.

WE are more friends than anything.

I so admire the courage of you folks who left that situation. I really wish he had, cuz it makes me sad that I destroyed his life and couldn't stop the insanity.