OT weekend thread - what are you doing?

Old 12-06-2013, 05:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

OT weekend thread - what are you doing?

Ok, had two pretty heavy threads today. Need to get out of my funk and change my attitude. What is everyone doing (fun, productive, for yourself etc.) this weekend?

My volunteering was cancelled due to the weather so get to sleep in tomorrow morning. Getting laundry out of the way tonight and house is relatively clean so I am going to make cookies and candy all weekend!

Peanut brittle
Almond English toffee
Chocolate Peanut butter fudge
and my moms sugar cookies (best ever, they turn out like shortbread). The recipe makes about 6 dozen.

Baking, cooking and cleaning are as good or better than therapy for me!
Old 12-06-2013, 05:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ixi

Studying!

Okay, that's not very fun.... Hoping to get some finals care packages with other people's baking?
Old 12-06-2013, 05:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Lxi - now that is funny. I usually take a lot of it to work and pass it around to the neighbors. Ibwould be happy to send you a care package. How close are you to being finished with school?
Old 12-06-2013, 05:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I will be searching for those meaningful, thoughtful Christmas gifts.

I will truly make an honest effort to find these, BUT the thought of gift cards is still in the back of my mind.

Just wondering do others find gift cards to impersonal?
Old 12-06-2013, 05:54 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Catching up on sleep and the DVR after a super busy week, seeing Chris Hardwick (from the Nerdist) do stand up tomorrow, and rounding out Sunday with a rehearsal for my next show!

I hope everyone finds some time for some self-care, laughter, and doing something they love this weekend!
Old 12-06-2013, 05:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Ixi

Originally Posted by Lyssy View Post
Lxi - now that is funny. I usually take a lot of it to work and pass it around to the neighbors. Ibwould be happy to send you a care package. How close are you to being finished with school?
Done or DONE done? My last final is next Saturday but I have another year and a half after that!

That's a very sweet offer. Last year my mom sent me a whole bunch of junk food and my RABf was baking today and hinting that I would be getting some in the mail... Trying not to be too hopeful!

Originally Posted by marie1960 View Post

We do a secret santa with my bf's cousins every year and everyone always puts gift cards on their wish list! Why don't I just hand you a $50 bill and you can hand me another $50 back??

Buuuuut that's when we can actually request what we want. If you genuinely don't know what to get them/they're super picky or it's not a super close relationship then I think it's totally okay. But I have to say, I'll never make the mistake of getting my best friend a gift card again! She was genuinely offended.
Old 12-06-2013, 06:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by marie1960 View Post
I will be searching for those meaningful, thoughtful Christmas gifts.

I will truly make an honest effort to find these, BUT the thought of gift cards is still in the back of my mind.

Depends. I dont like store specific gift cards (unless they are stocking stuffers, itunes, starbucks and such). Visa gift cards can be used anywhere. I think age play a role also.

Check out pintrest they have tons of ideas.
Old 12-06-2013, 06:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

we have the plumber coming over to assess the kitchen sink ISSUE tonite. which means for Christmas I get a new sink, faucet and plumbing whatnots. it's been bitterly cold here, not supposed to even get close to freezing tomorrow so I suspect yardwork is out of the question!! then sunday we got SEAHAWKS football bay bay. plumber might be back to do the repairs.

man we gotta tone it down! LOL
Old 12-06-2013, 06:17 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

We're iced in. Roads were too treacherous to drive today, so I didn't go to work. Snow is one thing, but ICE is a who n'other story. Took a nap, listened to the weather forecast and read my book. Not much exciting except listening to those who chose to get out on the ice revving their engines trying to get un-stuck.
Old 12-06-2013, 06:21 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AnvilheadII View Post
we have the plumber coming over to assess the kitchen sink ISSUE tonite. which means for Christmas I get a new sink, faucet and plumbing whatnots. it's been bitterly cold here, not supposed to even get close to freezing tomorrow so I suspect yardwork is out of the question!! then sunday we got SEAHAWKS football bay bay. plumber might be back to do the repairs.

man we gotta tone it down! LOL
LOL! I would love a new kitchen sink and faucet. My sink is an old stainless steel and almost impossible to keep it looking clean. I know it is because I scrub it daily, but it always looks dungy.

Texas is cold too. Below freezing here tonight. Currently 36*.
Old 12-06-2013, 06:27 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Lyssy...I'm in Texas, too, the DFW area. We're going down to 17 tonight I hear. I have all my outside faucets covered and leaving the kitchen sink running a small stream to keep the lines open. Don't need any busted pipes!
Old 12-06-2013, 06:35 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

I doubt we'll get the Seahawk game here. My Cowboys don't play until Monday night, and I hate that. If I stay up to watch the whole game, I'm draggin azz at work on Tuesday.
Old 12-06-2013, 06:41 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I am taking DD to see Frozen 3D tomorrow. We saw it last week in a regular movie theater, but she loved it and wants to see the 3D version. I loved it too, so off we go! The movie is as close to winter as we can get right now. It's not cold here. In fact I had the AC on for a few hours earlier this evening. Winter has not arrived in Florida yet. We are also working on some crafty gifts for family and friends this weekend. Baking sounds like fun, maybe we will do a little of that too.
Old 12-06-2013, 06:44 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

since we here in the PNW are in a deep freeze too, i'm rather glad our faucet is set on SLOW DRIP. god it's cold. and our house doesn't do cold well. we may get some snow later next week as the cold front collapses and the wet moves in. til then we be cold!

I love this time of the year, when i'm HOME. dark out, cozy inside, nfl smack on the tv. talking about hawks and the amazing dangerrusswilson. that dude is either a living saint or the 2nd coming. did ya know, every Tuesday since he got here, he and his wife go to Children's Hospital so he can spend time with the kids.
Old 12-06-2013, 06:46 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by suki44883 View Post
Lyssy...I'm in Texas, too, the DFW area. We're going down to 17 tonight I hear. I have all my outside faucets covered and leaving the kitchen sink running a small stream to keep the lines open. Don't need any busted pipes!
Houston area here. We have one pvc pipe that we alwsys have an issue with. We will see tomorrow I guess.

///detaching and resisting asking h if he took care of it. Breathe, breathe

What book are you reading? I just started this one today....
Amazon.com: The Hiding Place eBook: Corrie Ten Boom, Elizabeth Sherrill, John Sherrill, Joni Tada: Kindle Store
Old 12-06-2013, 06:48 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Ixi

Originally Posted by suki44883 View Post
Psh, that's gardening weather in Wisconsin!
Old 12-06-2013, 06:51 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ixi View Post
Studying!

Okay, that's not very fun.... Hoping to get some finals care packages with other people's baking?
Yup! Me too! Got a 7 pager due Monday, a 3 pager due Tuesday, a presentation to give on Thursday, a final NEXT Tuesday, a final next Thursday, and a 20 page (!!!!) lit review due next Thursday. And yes, I'll take care packages as well, especially if they include homemade cookies, lol.

Needless to say, outside of working, I'm doing NOTHING but school stuff the next 2 weeks. We can do this Ixi!
Old 12-06-2013, 06:54 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Yes, I know it's colder up north, Ixi, but this is Texas and I don't live in Texas for 17 degree temperatures!

Lyssy, I'm reading the Travis McGee series by John McDonald. I like series books, even though each can be read as a stand-alone book. I just finished the Jack Reacher series by Lee Child. I actually like them better than the Travis McGee series, but I read them all.
Old 12-06-2013, 06:54 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I'm working a double tonight til 7a. Going home to catch a few zzzz and then debate about a quick trip to the woods. Have to be back at work for a 7p-7a shift Saturday night and then it's a weeks VACATION in the Pa woods.
Old 12-06-2013, 07:13 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BoxinRotz View Post
I'm working a double tonight til 7a. Going home to catch a few zzzz and then debate about a quick trip to the woods. Have to be back at work for a 7p-7a shift Saturday night and then it's a weeks VACATION in the Pa woods.
Good luck!

Yummmm back strap.