Our role and responsibilities

Old 05-20-2004, 10:36 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Dancing To My Own Beat

Hey Keri,
Good luck at the meeting. Remember that it takes time. The same kind of people are there as are on this board. It may seem scary and foreign, but those are the people who can teach you how to deal with this crazy disease. You are very brave to decide to get help. It takes courage to reach out. Hugs, Magic
Old 05-21-2004, 09:04 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Our liability

My brother is meeting with a mental health counselor this morning and I am praying that she recommends -- and he agrees to -- in-patient treatment. He says he's been sober for eight days and claims not to have an urge to drink -- which I find VERY hard to believe, given the amount of alcohol he was consuming and the severity of his withdrawal. He insists that sobriety is his number one priority right now, and I hope he's being honest. But every aspect of his life is in shambles -- his employment, his finances, his relationships. Getting and staying sober is the first step for Kevin, but there are so many more hurdles to face when/if he gets past that step.

We've talked about transferring title to the pick up to him so he will have transportation if he wants to return to work at some point, but my mother, in whose name the pick up is now, wouldn't be legally responsible if he gets into trouble with the truck. However, we have found empty bottles in the truck, so we know he has been drinking and driving. I wonder if we transferred the title, knowing that there is the potential that he could drink and drive, would we still be liable?

Thanks again for all the kind support and suggestions.

Kgm
Old 05-21-2004, 11:52 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

You definitely need to put yourselves in a situation where you are not liable. If the vehicle is in his name I wouldn't think it would be your responsibility if he drinks and drives.

Ngaire