20 Years Today! We made it!

Old 05-19-2004, 10:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

20 Years Today! We made it!

Hi Friends,
Hubby and I have made it to our 20th wedding anniversary. :tongue2:
I am so happy about making this milestone. I feel peaceful about us being together and I can appreciate him for the wonderful person that he is, while at the same time feeling sad about his limitations and his addiction to alcohol. This is such a change for me, before Alanon I would cycle through feelings of panic and wondering if I should leave him, was I making a big mistake? Now if I start thinking that way, I remember that life is not all good or bad, and that the bad times are not that bad, and that I don't have to feel happy all the time to stay married.

So here I am, 45 years old, with my son in college and my daughter graduating high school, and I feel serenity with my life. Amazing, I feel peaceful with confidence that all will be ok after all. Not to say I don't have goals and that I don't have problems still. But now I realize that to be alive is to have problems. My God, I finally don't take life as seriously! "It's only life after all" (Indigo Girls) My high school boyfriend would be relieved to know that. haha.

So often now I feel a wave a gratitude about some part of my life: my job, my children, my home, my car, my health. I actually feel like the lucky one! All this because of my growth in Alanon. My hubby is still drinking and he is still out of work, but our home is so much more peaceful. Because he doesn't feel my rage and my superior attitude, he doesn't get as angry when he is drinking. Also when he is an angry drunk, I just leave the house and forget about it. When I return, I make no mention about the incident and I don't pout about having "suffered" as a result of his attitude. I just let it go, and you know what? It's easy now, letting go. I never would have thought I would make it here.

Bless all of you that supported me, prayed for me, and listened to my story. I thank God for this site and for all of you. And I pray for all of you, early in your Alanon journey, have hope, it can happen for you. Alanon works. thanks for listening.
Old 05-19-2004, 10:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Dancing To My Own Beat

Congratulations Rose! You are a shining example of what Al-anon can do for us. Thank you for sharing your success with us. Hugs, Magic
Old 05-19-2004, 10:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congrats Rose ! You are an inspiration.
L
Old 05-19-2004, 11:20 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Rose,
Happy Anniversary hugs!!
Gabe
Old 05-19-2004, 12:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congratulations. I hope you and your husband have a wonderful day.
Old 05-19-2004, 02:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Wishing you a HAPPY HAPPY ANNIVERSARY ROSE!!!

Making it to 20 years is something you should be very proud of! After reading your post I realize that even though I have come a long way in my marriage I still have alot to learn. Your growth is a inspiration and motivation to me. Thank you Rose and enjoy your day!!! Alanon truely is AWSOME!!!

All the best,
matters
Old 05-19-2004, 03:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
It is what it is!!!

Happy Anniversary Rose!!

Reading your thread brought tears to my eyes, tears of joy. That is working a program lady!!! you go girl!!!!
Old 05-19-2004, 03:50 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
JT
Supply Manager

A very Happy Anniversary ((Rose))! I have been wondering about you and how you were and you haven't let me down. Al Anon can even work with us hard headed types. :35:

You are a thoughtful and motivated student of the 12 steps and you are finally reaping some of the rewards! It is nice to be on the other side, isn't it??

I wish you would visit more!!

((HUGS))
JT
Old 05-19-2004, 04:10 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Happy Anniversary Rose!!! You've come a long way Baby....we all have, and one of the gifts of this program is that it just keeps getting better and better.

You deserve tha happiness you feel today Rose. You worked hard for it and I am so grateful that you have shared your recovery with me.

Hugs to you and hubby
Ann
Old 05-19-2004, 06:00 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Morning Glory

Happy Anniversary Rose!!!

It's always good to see you, but really nice to see you happy.

Hugs,
MG

Old 05-21-2004, 07:02 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

ROSE.....Congrats!!!! 20 is something to feel good about and hooray for al anon so that you are ENJOYING your life. It is so nice to feel peaceful and be able to look back at how far you have come and finally LIVE LIFE as it was intended. Many blessings, Constant
Old 05-21-2004, 04:32 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
once in a . . .

that is just Tooooo kewl!!!

Congratulations and Happy Happy Happy!!!!

Blue
Old 05-21-2004, 05:34 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Congratulations!!!!!
Old 05-21-2004, 07:18 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
believer

Wow, how did I miss this threaad? Rose, you sound wonderful - what a change! I am so happy for you.

Congratulations on your anniversary and your success in recovery. You truly are an inspiration.

Hugs,
JG
Old 05-21-2004, 07:23 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
spirit

wow rose,that is a milestone, congratulations to you BOTH, sounds like you journey has a times been bumpy but in the end it is worth it.

feel pride today!! you deserve it, you must be a good wife and mum.

congratulations again

kath
Old 05-21-2004, 09:28 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Paused

Your posting really hit a mark with me! I feel exactly like you. I have been with my husband for 15 years ( married for almost ten) and he has been drinking the last 3 years after we suffered some financial problems. Everyday is a struggle and sometimes i feel like i should leave or he should, but it usually ends up ok and i realize i cannot control this person and i must take care of myself. he has his own demons, and life to live, as do i. I am getting over the fact that my marriage is not as perfect as my parents, and i shouldn't try to measure up to that ideal all the time . everyone's situation is different it is just how we choose to deal with our situation that matters.thank you for a hopeful and inspirational message and happy anniversary!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-21-2004, 10:52 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Many thanks for your post, Rose. You're an inspiration and I'll think of you whenever I feel like throwing in the towel....congratulations!
HugZ
Sandra