Wow. Just.. wow

Old 05-22-2013, 11:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Wow. Just.. wow

RA gf of 8 years called me earlier this evening and told me she is no longer in love with me.
She feels like she can never be good enough for me (having stuck with her through her addiction, etc.) and that we'd be (re)building our relationship on guilt.

All the while she was away she called and wrote about how much she missed me and loved me.
Couldn't wait to be back with me. The night she arrived home she told me I was the reason she came back to NJ.
If it wasn't for our relationship and our love she would have stayed in FL.
Since then, as I've been sharing, it's gotten more and more distant.
Told me that things just feel different. That she doesn't feel like she used to.

Should I assume this is the end?
Ironically, it is our 8 year anniversary next week. 8 (what I like to consider, regardless of the challenges) amazing years.

Could I assume she is possibly extremely emotional and this is part of her dealing with the new life of being clean (80 days)?

Basically I am asking is should I reserve any hope for us?
Be honest--I know you all will.

Thanks all,
Very sad night
Old 05-22-2013, 11:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear Spantoh She is still only early in recovery (80 days) who knows what is going through her mind or maybe she is hiding that she isn't really staying clean??. Life can be cruel and you may just have to give her space and let it ride it out. Good luck
Old 05-23-2013, 12:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I think she's volatile right now. Addicts in recovery are skinless hurting people who no longer have their DOC to dull the pain. They have to deal with their emotions sober. And that plain sucks. And is scary.

I k ow it's easy to say and hard to do but focus on YOU. Let her figure her stuff out on her own. I can imagine she somewhere thinks moving on will make it easier because she can avoid dealing with the past. That would be a big warning sign for me that she may not be as far along in her recovery as she thinks she is.

Be that as it may - all you can do is tell her you love her and keep working on your own recovery. Sounds trite, but it's what I've got. And I'm sorry you're hurting.
Old 05-23-2013, 05:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A work in progress

See my reply on your other thread. It COULD be that it is just volatile emotions, but I wouldn't count on it, if I were you. It sounds to me as if she needed some space to sort out what she feels and wants as far as the relationship goes, and that she has decided she does not want to continue with it.

Hugs again, I'm sorry. These situations are very painful.
Old 05-23-2013, 06:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Could I assume she is possibly extremely emotional and this is part of her dealing with the new life of being clean (80 days)
80 days clean? When I came into the rooms of AA (21+ years ago), I was an emotional wreck and it took a good year to feel comfortable in my own skin. Emotional? I described early sobriety as being like 24/7 PMS in a full moon, my emotions were everywhere. There's no way she's capable of being in a relationship now. I suggest backing off and giving her all the space she needs.
Old 05-23-2013, 07:37 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank all of you.
Just so awful.. I prayed for so long to have the sober her back back and she's gone.

I will step away, though. Thanks again.
Old 05-23-2013, 08:59 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Spantoh - early recovery is hard on everyone. I half wished for a separation from RAH during that time because it got so difficult to be around the roller coaster his world had become.

No one can really guess what her mindset is right now or predict when or how or if it will change. In some ways the first 6 months of my RAH's recovery was harder than his drinking because he really just didn't know himself & was learning more every day. He couldn't relay info or emotions to me that he wasn't understanding himself but that didn't stop me from wanting or needing that.

Keep reading here, keep sharing, get to a meeting if you're open to it. Do you have hobbies that you can dive into, family & friends to provide you a dose of "normal"? Regardless what she decides to do, you still need to honor your own recovery & healing & not let all of your happiness become tied to her decisions.
Old 05-23-2013, 09:07 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I think you can always have hope - just don't let it cloud your good judgment or play a major role in your decision making processes.

Also, some folks need a completely clean break from their old life in order to succeed in their new life. Sometimes that's the only way real change can take place.

Try not to take it personally (tough, I know) because it really isn't a reflection on you.
Old 05-23-2013, 10:42 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Dear Spantoh, first, let me say that you have my sincere empathy. Yours is not an easy spot to be in.

There is no way to know her true motivations right now. Everything is an "educated guess", at best. But consider this--She does not know her real self---and you do not know her real self. If she has been drinking for the eight years, her real self has been submerged (by the alcohol) largely, under the surface--much like 3/4 of the iceberg in hidden under water with only the tip showing. Even when she was "sober"--she was only dry/white knuckling--her thinking processes were still alcoholic.

Even if she were to truly become sober--which is a time consuming process of intense work and committment--she will emerge as a different person than you had ever known. If you work on yourself and grow during that time---you will be a different person in many ways--you may see things very differently than you do, right now.

Whether she gets truly sober...or she doesn't, your marching orders remain the same---Work on yourself (for yourself). If you care about yourself, you have no other option. You have no control over the alcoholism or her.

If there ever was something you wanted to do, but haven't taken the challenge, now would be the time. Play the guitar; join a community theater group; join a bass fishing group; hike the appalachian trail; volunteer for a charity, learn to rollerblade, etc....
It will help keep you from loosing your mind.

sincerely, dandylion
Old 05-23-2013, 11:12 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Engineer Things; LOVE People

We have been up and down (lotta down, my brother) since Mrs. Hammer returned from rehab in December. She would whack out and slept on the floor for about a month.

Hard to say what day will up or down, even now. She has now gone goofy on workalcoholism for 60 + hours a week at a rehab center herself, now, and refusing to take a family trip/vacation next month. We had delayed the trip back at Christmas because she was in rehab.

The kids just say "Where is Mom?" just like when she was going Exercise Anorexia on the bicycle. But if she is nutz, it is still better they have to deal less with her.

Whatever.

At any rate -- like everyone says -- You take care of You. At least for today.

It can be months of nuttiness from what I follow from other folks. Hard to make sense of, especially when the rehab centers offer no real family and friends support.
Old 05-23-2013, 12:34 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
We have been up and down (lotta down, my brother) since Mrs. Hammer returned from rehab in December. She would whack out and slept on the floor for about a month.

Hard to say what day will up or down, even now. She has now gone goofy on workalcoholism for 60 + hours a week at a rehab center herself, now, and refusing to take a family trip/vacation next month. We had delayed the trip back at Christmas because she was in rehab.

The kids just say "Where is Mom?" just like when she was going Exercise Anorexia on the bicycle. But if she is nutz, it is still better they have to deal less with her.

Whatever.

At any rate -- like everyone says -- You take care of You. At least for today.

It can be months of nuttiness from what I follow from other folks. Hard to make sense of, especially when the rehab centers offer no real family and friends support.
Hammer you are so right!! Rehabs offer the families nothing! Which I really feel is utterly counterproductive if marriage and children are involved. Aren't the A's going to have to go back to us? How are they preparing them and or us for that day? Detach, walk away, blah! That's not what marriage is really about. I can see if things get heated, sure. But the A already has a twisted mind and is prone to isolating and overanalyzing to the point of
Old 05-23-2013, 12:36 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Of mentally making things up! Where does that leave things. Relapse. I'm confused about the whole thing. It seems a recipe for failure but at this point I'm just going to do me and the girls and let him make his own choices. .
Old 05-23-2013, 01:34 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
I AM CANADIAN

remember the 3 C's

a 12 step program will help sort out all your feelings...including anger...which is normal...grieving that relationship as it was will be hard...but times will be better if you decide it
Old 05-23-2013, 02:04 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I am so sorry. Having been in recovery myself (and just passing my one year mark) I can honestly say that it could go either way. BUT if I were you, I would assume she means it and move on. You may not feel like it now, but you need your space as well.

If it is meant to be, she will be back. You may not want her by then, but these things have a way of working themselves out for the good of those involved.

Again - I am so sorry. You seem like a very caring man and it is her loss.
Old 05-23-2013, 02:23 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks again, you guys..

Your kind words mean so much.

I can tell she is so confused and almost lost within herself.
She is struggling daily with the thought of using again (hers was a px pill addiciton, sorry if I didn't clairfy that) and I, although never an addict, can not even imagine coping with that at the same time as jumping right back into a relationship with all the potential stresses that come along with it. Especially one with years of "baggage" and (not necessary, in my opinion) guilt on her end.

Again, hardest thing I've had to face is having the beautiful, clear eyed sober "her" back and once again losing her. Not to drugs but to.. well, I don't know.

Mine were such high hopes. Was going to propose in several months if all stayed on track.
May sound crazy to some but I just wanted her by my side forever, addiction and all.

Once again, thanks.
S
Old 05-23-2013, 08:17 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Your relationship with her will unfold as it should. Be patient and understanding for the time being, as she probably has 1000 things on her mind. If its meant to be, you two will find each other again. Good luck
Old 05-24-2013, 07:25 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FireSprite View Post
Spantoh - early recovery is hard on everyone. I half wished for a separation from RAH during that time because it got so difficult to be around the roller coaster his world had become.

No one can really guess what her mindset is right now or predict when or how or if it will change. In some ways the first 6 months of my RAH's recovery was harder than his drinking because he really just didn't know himself & was learning more every day. He couldn't relay info or emotions to me that he wasn't understanding himself but that didn't stop me from wanting or needing that.

Keep reading here, keep sharing, get to a meeting if you're open to it. Do you have hobbies that you can dive into, family & friends to provide you a dose of "normal"? Regardless what she decides to do, you still need to honor your own recovery & healing & not let all of your happiness become tied to her decisions.

FireSprite, I have to thank you so much for your comment. I am in week 2 of RAH's return from what I believe now was probably a too short 3 week inpatient facility stay. He is moody, I am moody. When he is in a good mood and feeling strong, I'm going through an anger period because I had been in damage control for all these weeks and never really dealt with it. What you said is so true and will help me get through "this" part of our roller coaster. We are soul mates, and our souls are changing and we are having to learn to live with each other in a whole new way. I will try to not be so reactive to his moods, keep my positive hobbies and friends active and let go with love. Fighting the urge to fix.

But... I am still very angry that none of the programs for the A - DA offer "couples rehab". There are simply not enough resources for those of us co-dependants who are sick too. Al-Anon is ok I guess but honestly I get more out of this forum than 10 AA meetings. I was told by his outpatient counselor that couples therapy was probably not a good idea right now because we don't want to "therapy him to death". Really!?

Anyway FireSprite... sometimes something someone says rings true through all the other "words" and your comment really helped me put things in perspective... thank you.
Old 05-24-2013, 07:39 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by YinYangGirl View Post
FireSprite, I have to thank you so much for your comment. I am in week 2 of RAH's return from what I believe now was probably a too short 3 week inpatient facility stay. He is moody, I am moody. When he is in a good mood and feeling strong, I'm going through an anger period because I had been in damage control for all these weeks and never really dealt with it. What you said is so true and will help me get through "this" part of our roller coaster. We are soul mates, and our souls are changing and we are having to learn to live with each other in a whole new way. I will try to not be so reactive to his moods, keep my positive hobbies and friends active and let go with love. Fighting the urge to fix.

But... I am still very angry that none of the programs for the A - DA offer "couples rehab". There are simply not enough resources for those of us co-dependants who are sick too. Al-Anon is ok I guess but honestly I get more out of this forum than 10 AA meetings. I was told by his outpatient counselor that couples therapy was probably not a good idea right now because we don't want to "therapy him to death". Really!?

Anyway FireSprite... sometimes something someone says rings true through all the other "words" and your comment really helped me put things in perspective... thank you.
Welcome, YinYangGirl, I'm glad you found my comment helpful.

I agree that resources seem so much more limited for us Codies. For all the struggles that the A's in our life go through in early recovery, so do we & sometimes (as in my case) my "damage" as a Codie was far more reaching in a lot of ways than his alcoholism ever was. Feel free to search through my old posts, I had a lot of anger for a long time & still am working through some of it even though we're well out of "early" recovery. Be easy on yourself & know that it's difficult to act impeccably every single day when you are learning the rules as you go. Remember, progress not perfection!
Old 05-24-2013, 07:50 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thank you FS. I can tell I'll be coming back... a lot. Big Hug of thanks.
Old 05-24-2013, 08:52 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I am so sorry you are hurting, but i agree with the others..she isn't ready..she needs to find herself now. Do what makes you happy and know you did your best for her and gave her all you had. It is NOT you it is her problems. Hang in there and God bless!