Worried mother

Old 05-17-2013, 03:10 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

But we are hopefully on the right path.
Yes, you are on the right path, anything to keep mom and the fetus healthy.
the little bit I just read on zofran and potassium is,
zofran is for the nausea, and vomiting could be a cause for low potassium (thus the reason she needs it).
I also read that 1 in 5 people that go to the hospital have low potassium.
Interesting but useless fact.
I hope this is what she needs to feel better physically.
Feeling better physically would certainly (to me) be a step on the way to getting better.

Is she feeling better? I really hope so, and she gets the treatment she needs for depression (is that why she was on celebrex and buspar?).
Any anti-d's will not be effective while drinking.
If you are staying in the hospital this weekend with her, maybe you could call AlAnon and ask for a twelve step visit for you.

You can begin to learn how to take care of you. The worry will not go away, (they are our babies after all) but Al-Anon could make it easier to deal with when you learn what is truly and totally out of your hands.
Learn what is yours to handle. Let go and turn the rest over to God.

I will continue to pray for your strength to take care of yourself during this emotionally turbulent time.

Beth
Old 05-18-2013, 08:52 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Her stepsister is staying with her at the hospital. I still also have a 12 yr old son at home. So I need to take care of him. I feel kind of bad I know she is wanting me up at the hospital already but I don't feel like getting in a hurry to get there. This is the third hospital detox detox in two years. I feel tired this morning. Is that awful
Old 05-18-2013, 10:22 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
A work in progress

No, it isn't awful. Your son needs your attention, too--it's easy for family to focus all the time and attention on the "problem child" (whether that is an actual child or an adult in the household). YOU deserve and need attention, too.

One of the things alcoholics/addicts in recovery need to learn is that the whole world doesn't revolve around them. You can visit her when it is good for YOU.
Old 05-19-2013, 07:04 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Well she is home tonight she was real quiet while we were waiting to leave I think she was having anxiety. I asked her if she really felt she was ready and she said it didn't matter. I'm nervous about her making it. I tell myself I have to let her figure it out. But with a fetus involved I'm worried.
Old 05-19-2013, 07:16 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
A work in progress

What kind of aftercare was recommended? She should be in an IOP program, or attending AA meetings.
Old 05-20-2013, 06:52 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I think she is supposed to go to AA meetings. But she made a comment tonight that if her bad feelings does not get better she may want an in patient psych facility. I don't think she meant alcoholic facility.
Old 05-20-2013, 07:20 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
A work in progress

There are some programs out there that treat people with a "dual diagnosis"--in other words, mental illness and substance abuse problems. If she could get into a program like that, it might make a world of difference.

You might want to check with your state's Department of Mental Health to find out what kind of programs might be available for her.
Old 05-21-2013, 08:08 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Bad day today...she drank a bottle but bought 3.we found the other 2. Poured them out. She is wanting to go to an inpatient facility...I cried tonight..I feel so unhappy..wish I could fix her. I know I can't..but as a mother I want to.

Tomorrow I am going to call and see what kind of options she has available..don't know if its limited due to pregnancy. I would like her to stay close..see if there is a day program..that we can take her to and pick her up each day. Let her anti-depressantants due their job..which right now they can't because of the alcohol.

We are scheduled for a whole family vacation June 14-16, I really want her to be able to go..we have never been on a family vacation since my husband and I got married..and her dad and I never went anywhere. There are 5 kids between me and my husband..and then there are spouses, kids. But I also want what's best for her..I will make some calls tomorrow. I don't know if Sooner Care..(Okla. health program) that she has right now because of pregnancy will help with it. She wants to go where she has went before..but I don't think was a dual diagnosis facility..and that I believe she needs right now. I just feel like nothing will be all right anymore..

Sorry this is so long!!! I feel so lost!!
Old 05-23-2013, 11:41 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Today she went to her OB..and everything is good right now..it seems. One of her stressers, the baby's daddy, was at the appointment. I wish he would just leave her alone until the baby is born. We have set up where she will take her anti-depressant in my presence at least for a while. And I told her she has to go to at least one AA meeting a day. And she needs to get with her counselor and also go to a group for sexually abused addicts. I am hoping it will get better..please keep praying. I plan on going to an al-anon group on Monday. I was going to go this past Monday, but with all the storms here in OK..I didn't want to leave home.