Giving Up Booze for Lent - Didn't Last!!

Old 03-15-2013, 11:22 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cyranoak View Post
...the only time giving up alcohol "FOR" something has any chance of success at all is when alcoholics give up alcohol for themselves.

C-
I guess giving it up for God wasn't enough...
Old 03-15-2013, 11:31 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

like she meant that, COD. like she really meant THIS Lent. like she has any plans of actually quitting.
Old 03-15-2013, 02:40 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I don't understand the expectation. If an alcoholic could just stop, for God or the kids or the cat, they wouldn't be an alcoholic.

Regardless of what she thinks, do you not believe she's an alcoholic? If you did, why would you think she could just stop? If my husband has migraines, and I know he has migraines, and he doesn't get any help to stop them, I know he's going to get one again. The same with diabetes. If he's diabetic and he doesn't take his medication, I know he's going to get really sick. In both circumstances, it doesn't matter what he tells me. I know because I know what the disease it. If you've done your research and you know what alcoholism is, why did you expect her to be able to control something that's she's not physically able to control.

Maybe a part of you doesn't really believe she's an alcoholic either. Which begs the point, if you don't believe it, why should she believe it?
Old 03-16-2013, 01:51 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by cerene View Post
I don't understand the expectation. If an alcoholic could just stop, for God or the kids or the cat, they wouldn't be an alcoholic.
Do you understand co-dependency? There are heaps of posts about co-dependency this on this board. It's one of the main reasons people post here.
Old 03-16-2013, 07:22 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JenT1968 View Post
can you see how she drew you in to an argument? one where you were justifying your alcohol intake? which bolstered her self-righteousness about deciding to drink?

not that it would have made any difference either way - she was going to drink whatever, but you might save yourself the indignity another time.

I've finally learned to head those "I found a really cheap one" comments from anyone who tried to draw me in like that with an "OK" or an "oh" or nod and smile - this is made much easier by the fact I don't live with an alcoholic anymore lol - but it's invaluable at work and is a skill learned through close observation of my boss, she does not get drawn into these things.
This is so important and so simple yet hard to do. Short, simple replies are what I'm now trying to do - yes, no, ok. I'm also learning that NOT saying anything is fine, too. When DH was going on last night about something (to which I SO wanted to reply and tell him how silly he was being & how he was not taking responsibility for his action/inaction), I simply let him keep going and didn't say a thing. He worked it out on his own, and I kept my dignity. Definitely not easy to do, but with practice it can get less hard...and I'm going to keep practicing!

COD, I'm so sorry this happened. It is the status quo for living with an actively drinking alcoholic, but it doesn't make it any less sad or frustrating. Sending you strength & hugs.
Old 03-16-2013, 08:25 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Ohio,

Be sure to get some good physical workouts throughout all this. Because underneath the logic, there is surely anger in you, rage because you are helpless to control the situation, and anger that she is not loving toward you. You'll need to release those volatile energies somehow, so if you don't go to the gym or run or anything, then find some sweaty long-term project to do at home. You need to be concerned for all your buried emotions in a situation in which you feel powerless--they need to come out in a healthy, contained way or else they will start erupting in chaotic unexpected ways. Even cause you to have a driving accident.

She is so self-absorbed, so narcissistic, so self-justifying, so indifferent....and you must feel so lonely.

I hope you are still hitting Al-Anon. And hope your little toddler is doing well.

Ohio, you are really facing this situation with great integrity. And more will unfold. And you will handle it.
Old 03-16-2013, 02:31 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Thank you for this post COD, it helps to see others being able to work through their codependency. You give me hope for myself.
Old 03-18-2013, 04:40 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

My Eyes Are Open

Originally Posted by cerene View Post

Regardless of what she thinks, do you not believe she's an alcoholic? If you did, why would you think she could just stop? If my husband has migraines, and I know he has migraines, and he doesn't get any help to stop them, I know he's going to get one again. The same with diabetes. If he's diabetic and he doesn't take his medication, I know he's going to get really sick. In both circumstances, it doesn't matter what he tells me. I know because I know what the disease it. If you've done your research and you know what alcoholism is, why did you expect her to be able to control something that's she's not physically able to control.

Maybe a part of you doesn't really believe she's an alcoholic either. Which begs the point, if you don't believe it, why should she believe it?
Cerene, I understand full well she's an alcoholic, I've posted that many times. I was in no way defending her - I used this post as a place to share and vent, and maybe help others who believe that the A's words mean something. I've come a long way in my attitudes and reactions to events since I joined here last July, and maybe someone can also grow and learn through my, and others', experiences - that's why we're here.

C-OH Dad
Old 03-18-2013, 04:56 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Cerene - It helps to read through a poster's threads if you are new to their situation. COD is very well aware that his wife is an alcoholic.

He didn't mention it, but I bet he didn't expect her to not drink.
Old 03-18-2013, 05:18 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

My Original Post

This is what I had posted before that I had linked...

Yeah, I know, Lent started several weeks back; but the Wife told me today that she's "giving up boozing" (yes, her exact words) until Easter. Finished off the bottle of the cheap vodka last night and said won't buy another until Easter.

Do I think she can do it? No, I can't, but that's not my problem, that's between her and her conscience.

I'll let you know if it actually happens.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:58 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

((COD))

your ability to continue thru this rough times, to continue your life, and to continue seeking what is healthiest for you is evident in your growth and in what I see from your post ~

Living with the active disease is not easy for anyone - doing it with grace, acceptance and respect for yourself and the A is even harder ~

Keep that garden of self clean as you have been and the inner peace, guidance, strength and courage will be with you ~

pink hugs