OT Question about cats

Old 10-05-2012, 01:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

Question OT Question about cats

For how many days is it ok to leave 2 cats alone in an apartment?
They are around 2 years old and love each other.

I ask because I am having trouble finding a place that accepts them and I can't pay for a place of my own currently. For now I am going home every weekend, and possibly will have the chance to work from home on Fridays so I can be with them 3 full days out of a week.

Am I a bad person for considering this?
Old 10-05-2012, 01:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

((TC)) - I've left my cats for 2-3 days, plenty of food and water. My cats eat when they feel like it, I just made sure they had plenty of water. Any more than 3 days, I hired a cat-sitter.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 10-05-2012, 01:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

Currently, there is someone checking them every couple of days...
Aww I miss them, I am so happy its Friday and I get to go home.

There is a room I can rent that accepts cats but it has 4 dogs nearby in other apartments (just a window of separation) and it was very noisy when I went there. I am not sure if I would be happy there, to be honest, with my cats but hearing barking all day and maybe it would be stressful for the cats as well.
Old 10-05-2012, 01:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I would NOT leave pets alone for that length of time. they need FRESH WATER, FOOD and a CLEAN litterbox.

maybe someone will adopt them temporarily.

how wouly you like it if you were left alone locked up for 5 days out of the week?
Old 10-05-2012, 01:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

Thank you Impurrfect!!
I REALLY have to decide where to live, this weekend.

I got 3 options
1 Allows cats but noisy, price OK, roomie OK, dogs may be problematic
2 No cats, price high, roomies very nice, further away from my job but I felt I could be happy there
3 No cats, price OK, not so far from the job, the owner is a great fashion designer and I already plan to take classes with her! BUT she is rather strict and I do not feel very relaxed with her around, in a daily living situation...

I am thinking its ok to be away from the cats as its just the rest of this year... in the next year I hope I can either

/rent my apartment, so I got more $ and can rent a place for us in my new city.
/know if I am going to be traveling (might have the chance to travel to US/India for a couple of years...)
/go back to my home and get another job there (my current contract only lasts 3 months.)
Old 10-05-2012, 01:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

((Fandy)) - I agree. I often have to leave my cats with stepmom (sm) when dad and I are traveling. I call, often, to make sure they are okay. Since she is an A, and has a tendency to pass out, I call more often.

I've often wondered what I will do when I get a place of my own, if I have to be gone for a while. I COULD take them back home, but in all honesty? I'd rather hire a cat-sitter as I had a really good experience with the one I had.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 10-05-2012, 01:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It's not abnormal to leave cats alone for periods of time as long as they are fed, have fresh water and a clean litter box.

HOWEVER...if this is a constant occurrence and/or for long periods of time -- the less human interaction they have, the more likely they will start to destroy your stuff, start marking territory, become mean or standoff-ish to people or start fighting with each other.

Last time I went out of town, one of mine managed to shut the bathroom door and lock herself in there for 3 days. The person who was checking on them never thought to look there when she wasn't showing her face. I was very mad at myself for her being locked up and now have door stops on every door so she can't do that anymore. She wasn't very happy with me either when I got home.

Cats are independent animals and usually don't require the amount of attention that dogs do, but they are pets, they should be treated as such.
Old 10-05-2012, 01:57 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

Hi Fandy!
They are not all alone all that time; there is someone going every couple of days to check they got food, water, litterbox OK.

My question is more in the emotional level, I of course miss them a lot. Not sure if they miss me or if they would be OK in this arrangement, while I get my act together...
Old 10-05-2012, 01:58 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Sometimes it depends on the cats. I have one of those water fountain things that circulates and aerates the water and a self-feeder. Maybe a couple of litter boxes if you plan to leave them for more than just a couple of days. I agree that having someone check on them at least every other day is best, preferably every day just to scoop out the litter box and make sure they are okay.

P.S. to add: if you are expecting thunderstorms, I'd have someone check on them at least once a day. Some cats can get scared if someone they know and trust isn't around during storms.
Old 10-05-2012, 02:04 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

((TC)) - This is NOT a good story, but I will share it. My cats were left in the trailer I lived in, while I was in an RV with XABF#1. His mom "checked on" the cats. We came home, and my little boy wasn't acting quite right. I had to work a 16-hour-shift, bf called and said the little boy was really sick. I got home and it was horrible. He was in renal failure and I had to have him put down.

I will NEVER leave my cats like that again. I think he missed ME and my affection. It's something I don't think I can ever forgive myself for.

Our babies need TLC. The cat-sitter I hired was awesome, came and met the cats ahead of time and they were comfortable with her. My bf's mom? Pretty sure she didn't give them the TLC they needed.

I know how much you love your babies. Just make sure that whoever is taking care of them loves them, too.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 10-05-2012, 02:09 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

Fandy,

I do not like the tone of your post. Just to be clear, I love my cats (I love ALL cats) and I want the best for them. That is why I am asking questions and trying to sort out solutions that work.

((That is another thing I ponder- 5 days locked? what about cats that live indoors all the time? they are locked all their life, when their instinct is to explore and discover.

I used to have them indoor/outdoors and felt they were happier when allowed to roam. That neighbor was relatively "safe". They usually stayed nearby and I called them for them to be home during the night.

That's a different discussion though..))

I hope I can get back to that way of life soon. But for now I can't. For instance, just now I got news a great friend and the one who recommended me to this job, was appointed team leader. So I MIGHT be able to go home even more days than I can go now, perhaps even whole weeks... he also loves his pets.

So, I wonder if emotionally they are ok.. not so much about the physical needs that of course have to be covered.. this same friend took care of my cats when I went to Thailand and was away for a month.

When I came back my cats acted slightly aloof the first few days but seemed fine to me. In a few days we were the same family we have been all this time.

I am hoping these temporary arrangements can work for a while, not planning to live away from them all my life.

If I had to travel due to work or personal plans, I would find someone caring for them.
Old 10-05-2012, 02:18 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Dear TakingCharge, I think they will be o.k. with your current situation---it isn't going to be forever. Basically, they need a good supply of food and pleanty of water. Of course this isn't what we want to do---ideally. I have had to leave my cats for a similar period of time for emergency travel.

Helpful hints:
1. make sure that all doors have heavy doorstops. you don't want them to get trapped away from food and water.
2. leave a radio on so that they will have auditory stimulation.
3. leave windows easily available for them to sit and look out.
4. I left an "extra" litterbox in case they wanted a fresh one.
5. Have a neighbor look in to make sure they are "o.k" from time to time. Make sure the neighbor does a headcount.

Cats do not think like humans---be careful not to assume they have your same emotions (guilt, etc.)

Good luck. I can see that you love your kittycats.

dandylion

p.s. If it were me--I would take the option that has noise. You and the cats will adjust. I lived near an airport--after a while I didn't even hear anything. I worked in pediatrics and didn't hear crying babies. I worked in an emergency room and didn't hear the ambulances. Our brains have the ability to accomodate. I wouldn't give up my cats for noise that I could adjust to.
Old 10-05-2012, 02:18 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

Please keep the discussion respectful. These 2 are the first cats I have. Or, more accurately.. I have been owned by them for a relatively short time!

(Maybe I did not explain myself, I meant "alone" as in no one to play with them and sleep with them, etc. Not on their own without anyone to take care even of the most basic needs.)

Can't wait to hug them later tonight.
Old 10-05-2012, 03:10 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

For the ones who remember ItsMeAlice, I pictured a similar journey, I, the furry ones, and stuff, driving to a new place away from toxic ex boyfriends, looking for some peace.

So much to solve in only a few days, wish me luck . Thanks all for your thoughtful posts.

For now I am also voting for the place with cats, if its too much, I can always look for something else.......
Old 10-05-2012, 03:18 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

Now off to the bus now, 5 hours but sometimes the movies they play are good, and I have to arrive to do lots of homework!!
Old 10-05-2012, 03:23 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TakingCharge999 View Post
For how many days is it ok to leave 2 cats alone in an apartment?
They are around 2 years old and love each other.

I ask because I am having trouble finding a place that accepts them and I can't pay for a place of my own currently. For now I am going home every weekend, and possibly will have the chance to work from home on Fridays so I can be with them 3 full days out of a week.

Am I a bad person for considering this?
TC,

Unless you have someone checking on them everyday, this could be dangerous. If a cat is stressed, for instance, and does not eat for 48 hours , they can get hepatic liver disease, caused by not eating. it is a life threatening illness.
One of them could develop diarrhea and vomitting and dehydrate in two days, and it could be life threatening.

there are just too many things that can go wrong, with that much time not being checked on.

They might not have any problems, but what if there were, and you did not know about it for days? You would never forgive yourself.
Old 10-05-2012, 04:30 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

As long as they have lots of food water two litter boxes and each other they should be a-okay for three days. I leave mine all the time.
Old 10-05-2012, 04:36 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I think this fine to leave them alone for a few days as long as someone you trust is checking on them daily, while you get things sorted out. It's not ideal but I think they will be fine.
Old 10-05-2012, 04:36 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

TC, you made it sound as if you were leaving them ALONE for 5 days with no one checking on them except for YOU.

My* tone* is reflective of your spotty information. If you have a cat sitter, its a different story. but if this goes on for MONTHS with your working situation, i don't think it is a safe environment for your pets.

when i go away, I have a person come in twice a day to feed and change the box. and I keep my cats indoors. it's NOT safe to let them out, at least in my area, we have fox and coyotes, feral animals that can attack them and spread disease.

most vets will agree that your cat should be kept indoors.

i'm out of here, use common sense and please be a responsible pet owner.
Old 10-05-2012, 04:44 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Slight detour - but as to potential stress, there's an AWESOME and really effective product that helped my more sensitive kitteh adjust to our recent move.

It's a pheromone that is disseminated by a plug-in diffuser. It's called "Feliway." It's a little pricey but my cats hunkered down in the room with the plug-in and aren't showing any signs of stress - no inappropriate urination, etc etc. These are indoor-only cats.

(and FWIW, I don't leave my cats alone for more than 2 days- can't monitor changes in health and behavior if you're gone for more than that)