OT Question about cats

Old 10-05-2012, 04:46 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TakingCharge999 View Post
Currently, there is someone checking them every couple of days...
Aww I miss them, I am so happy its Friday and I get to go home.

There is a room I can rent that accepts cats but it has 4 dogs nearby in other apartments (just a window of separation) and it was very noisy when I went there. I am not sure if I would be happy there, to be honest, with my cats but hearing barking all day and maybe it would be stressful for the cats as well.
i didn't see this post when i made my first post. But STILL "every couple of days" is not enough when you are gone for extended periods every single week.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:32 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I assume these cats are spayed/neutered? Not that it has much to do with the apartment situation...
Old 10-05-2012, 06:01 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

I'm another one who firmly believes cats belong indoors. They are much, MUCH healthier that way. Also, roaming cats kill millions of wildlife every year. It is a cat's natural instinct to hunt and a great many birds that are taken to wildlife rehabs are victims of cats.
Old 10-05-2012, 06:18 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Suki,

I agree with you on keeping them indoors. There are so many ways they can get hurt. Dogs kill many cats each year. People kill many cats each year. The humane society kills many cats each year.
I know cats wreak havoc on birds and wildlife, but that is only natural, as you said. Recently, cats were irresponsibly painted as cold blooded killers. The truth is they have a hunting instinct that helps them to find food, if they are not fed by anyone.
The cat friends societies are trying to undo the damage of that recent campaign . Too many cat haters/uninformed will up the efforts to kill off feral colonies, instead of doing what is best and humane-trap, neuter, and release. killing off of ferals only results in a space for other cats to fill in.
I wish we could let our kitties outside, but unfortunately, there are people like my neighbor, who trapped the neighbor abandoned kitties I was trying to trap and neuter, and the humane society put them down the same day they came in. They were not tame, scared of strangers, tho they loved me, and they did not have a chance. I did save two of the litter, not without great begging, and watching of them every night, and bringing them into my covered porch, so they would not succumb to his traps.

sorry to hijack, but this is a subject near and dear to me.. the welfare of kitties everywhere >^..^<
Old 10-06-2012, 12:32 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I was living in an apartment far away from family and friends when I had an opportunity to take a few days off. I wondered what to do about Portia, when walking by the next apartment, I see a fluffy, well-cared-for cat sitting in the window. I gathered up my courage, knocked on the door, and a middle-aged lady answered. She was happy to pop in on Portia each day and make sure she had fresh food and water. She even offered to save a piece of bulky junk mail, slip my apartment key into it, and leave it in my mailbox the day I was to arrive home.

I suppose none of that is safe, now...
Old 10-10-2012, 12:20 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Today is a New Day

If I am going to be gone for more than one night I make sure I have someone to check in on them. If it's just for one night I ensure they have plenty of dry food and fresh water (I have a big metal water bowl, I can stick it in the freezer so their water for the next day will be cold, and I've got a Brita so I can filter it too). I do have one of those filtered water fountains for them, but I need to get another filter. I'll also feed them wet food immediately before I leave. (That's not the only time they get it, so they don't associate that with me being gone for a while, but it makes me feel better!)

I have two cats with lots of toys and perches, so they have each other and other things to play with. There's also some nice trees outside the window, and Peaches in particular is rather fond of the squirrels.
I also have three litter boxes - an open one in the bathroom and a top-entry one at each side of the living room - so plenty of litter boxes. They are not allowed in my bedroom, and I make sure that nobody is stuck in a closet before I leave, so even if one did manage to shut herself in the bathroom there's a litter box for both of them.

I have a neighbor who is willing to watch my cats, as well, plus a friend and my boyfriend. I prefer my friend or my boyfriend because one of my cats is afraid of strangers and she sees the two of them more often, but the neighbor is great for emergencies.

This Christmas I am planning to bring them down to my boyfriend's house. He loves animals and has two cats and a dog, so taking care of my cats if I'm away for an extended period of time won't be an issue for him as long as I bring one or two of my litterboxes, but I need the extended vacation time over Christmas to work through the necessary introductions. (Plus one of his cats has an upper respiratory infection that she's being treated through, so I want to be certain she has recovered before I feel comfortable with bringing my cats down. I don't want them to catch what she has!)

Since you have two cats rather than just one, they can go longer times without seeing you because they have someone to interact with. That said, too long at one time on too regular a basis is going to affect their interactions with you as well as people in general, and also is not enough time to catch any serious health issues that may pop up.
Old 10-10-2012, 04:12 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

IME cats do not like visitor cats for a very long time. Very territorial. He might want a plan for keeping them separated.

I've left my cats alone for a weekend and never had a problem or a stressed cat. I think it must depend on the individual cat.

My aunt drags her cat around and would bring her here and I have a cat and jeez, poor thing seemed miserably stressed. I always thought she would be much happier spending peaceful weekend alone!
Old 10-11-2012, 09:31 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I know sometimes all you can do is your best, but the cats should ideally be checked daily. I watch my neighbor's kitty when she travels and one time I went to feed him (he's indoors) and could not find him anywhere. He had tried to curl up in her bed and had accidently gotten into the comforter cover and gotten trapped. As he struggled to get out he twisted the material around him. He'd been there for a number of hours when I found him and had defectated all over himself and was in a terrible state. I doubt he would have survived 2 days like that.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:31 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoaringSpirits View Post
I know sometimes all you can do is your best, but the cats should ideally be checked daily. I watch my neighbor's kitty when she travels and one time I went to feed him (he's indoors) and could not find him anywhere. He had tried to curl up in her bed and had accidently gotten into the comforter cover and gotten trapped. As he struggled to get out he twisted the material around him. He'd been there for a number of hours when I found him and had defectated all over himself and was in a terrible state. I doubt he would have survived 2 days like that.
Oh no! That poor kitty! Glad you were able to rescue him. Agree that if it's possible, cats should be checked on once a day. The longest that my little girl has gone without a check has probably been about 36 hours, and that was an exception because there just wasn't anyone available to stop by during those particular days.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:58 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

Fandy, I now re read my thread and it sounded as if I was going to leave my cats alone for decades! It was my own stress.

Thank you all for your input.

Glad to report --my cats are doing very well. Someone is checking on them daily.

They still identify me, thank God and show me their affection. We just had a Catnip party last weekend.

They prefer classical and pop music rather than dance or techno.

I am the one who is not liking this arrangement at ALL so hopefully I can bring them here sooner than I originally planned. The good news is that I already drove from one city to the other so gladly I can take them with me in their carrier, in the car and hopefully they won't be as stressed.

I am not sure we have feliway where I live but there are anti stress homeopathic remedies, I will check them out.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:02 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

They were indoor/outdoor and now they are just indoor, they seem to have adjusted fine, and I have a MESS with all my moving out boxes, etc. so they have plenty of distractions.. my mess gets rearranged everytime I go there trying to get rid of things, put some order, etc..

Sleeping with them is priceless .

They are spayed indeed choublak... and they will stay indoors .. I also feel better this way..
Old 10-23-2012, 10:10 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

The guy taking care of them informed me Gabanna does not like red meat whiskas so much.. that she prefers tuna or mixed... so at least he is paying attention.

I took her some chicken breast when I went and she was very happy.

Its funny how she likes variety in her food, & Dolce just likes dry Royal Canin.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:15 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

My cats are that way with their treats. One day they want tempations, the next it's the cat party mix and ONLY certain flavors. NONE of them will eat any canned food, not even tuna. The dog doesn't eat dog food but tries to eat the cat treats. No one is starving, that's for sure

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 10-23-2012, 12:55 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

my sister works out of town a lot & may leave for a week - but she does have someone check in & spend a bit of time
Old 10-23-2012, 01:06 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Hexipuff

Our cats occasionally get left alone overnight - two nights max
Loads of water if left and food, door stops at every door and they have a litter tray x2 and their cat flap. We live in a very quiet area and generally they come and go as they please.

I am not a fan of keeping indoor cats but respect in some situations/areas this is necessary.
Old 10-23-2012, 08:28 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

I think they will be fine for 2-3 days max as long as they have water, food, and clean litter box to start with. Just be sure to love them up a lot after leaving them alone for a couple days. my two cats are funny if I've been gone for a while (I get a cat sitter if I'm gone for two or more days) - they act like they miss me but also like they are mad that I left in the first place