Codependency - It's What Most of Us Did

Old 10-04-2012, 10:27 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I'm codependent, will Al Anon really help me with that? My relationship with the A is over.
Old 10-04-2012, 10:42 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

When I felt my relationship becoming co-dependent I had the urge to get out of it very quickly. I knew his drinking was hurting me and I wanted the pain to stop. I became afraid.

Sometimes that urge manifested itself as anger as I continued to be verbally abused, I retaliated.

Then when anger didn't work I became sick and depressed

What am I holding onto now, I wonder? why do I continue to be unable to let go? I can't let go because I keep inflicting the pain on myself over and over. Now that he's gone I feel the need to abuse myself.... for what purpose?

I wanted the relationship to end - but now I can't cope so well with the emptiness. strange, isn't it? I think perhaps this fear of being alone is what makes us hold on for so long to a scenario we know is doomed.
Old 10-04-2012, 10:58 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Iceberg Ahead!

Yes as to Al-Anon, peaches08 and ZiggyB. It's like a "codie" convention and "codie clean-up" workshop!
Old 10-04-2012, 11:30 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
Yes as to Al-Anon, peaches08 and ZiggyB. It's like a "codie" convention and "codie clean-up" workshop!
OK, I'll try another meeting. I went to one on Monday. I felt like they were trying to deal with the relationship they were in, rather than move on like I am.
Old 10-04-2012, 12:28 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Iceberg Ahead!

Focus not on whether the A is or isn't involved now. Focus on what you and the others in the meeting did while in the relationship. Focus on the changes they made through the Al-Anon program. Focus on what alcohol-affected behaviors and traits remain in you, and on what it is and what it takes to be healthy and serene. You want to take that into your next relationship.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:32 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I have stayed strong for three weeks - NO Contact. He texts me, writes me snail mail, has his sister call me to see how I am doing and I haven't responded to the texts and I left the damn letter in the mailbox.

Thanks Made of Glass for explaining control to me. That has helped tremendously.

I'm having trouble overcoming feeling like a fool at the moment though...
Old 10-17-2012, 10:20 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=MadeOfGlass;3608433]Hello again silentscout,

It's my personal opinion that as soon as someone is connected in a relationship to an A, we are all deemed "codependent" and need therapy, and then you get wack jobs like that shrink that is proclaiming you have control issues. Now just wait a minute...!

So true. Although I did see myself in many of the roles portrayed by the OP, I have to agree with this as well. What else are we to do? I don't want to give up on my husband after only one year of his addiction. I'd like to see if we can get through this, but with all the lies, I'm certainly not taking his word for it. So what else am I to do, but search for clues that he's using, clues that it really is time to throw in the towel? Then again, I can see how it becomes an endless cycle, when clue after clue are revealed, and it still just doesn't seem right to end it. I hope I will be strong enough to know in my heart that if he isn't ready after all this, he won't be ready for a long time.
Old 10-17-2012, 02:53 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoaringSpirits View Post
For years I just saw this as being the traits of a successful, strong-willed woman. Now I see how controlling I could be
I think the same thing right now about just being strong-willed, helpful, caring, supportive...

I am starting to realize being here & reading lots that it is not what I thought & I was trying to control a situation/person that was out of my control. I didn't think I was doing anything other than supporting him on what he said he wanted...but actions speak louder than words & obviously didn't want it badly enough (or wasn't ready or what ever the case is) to help himself & that it's not my problem or my place to fix anyone but myself.

I wish I'd know about the power of alcoholism & what it meant long ago so I could have read all this & not done certain things & realized that I wasn't at all helpful.

As things got worse, more frantic so did I, trying to stop what was happening... I didn't see what I was doing & I'm thankful to now see that.

Sigh... as ugly & sad as my story has been I am grateful to have a better understanding & to grow from the experience so I never repeat the pattern.
Old 10-18-2012, 11:34 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I'm a recovering alcoholic (21 years) and codependent. After many Alanon meetings I realized that co dependence is alcoholism without the booze. That's why the 12 Steps work for both.
Old 10-20-2012, 05:05 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Iceberg Ahead!

Originally Posted by rainiee View Post
I wish I'd know about the power of alcoholism & what it meant long ago so I could have read all this & not done certain things & realized that I wasn't at all helpful.

As things got worse, more frantic so did I, trying to stop what was happening... I didn't see what I was doing & I'm thankful to now see that.
With this disease, hindsight is 20/20. The disease generally begins slowly, secretly and insidiously within the alcoholic. After some time, little signs and symptoms begin to appear but we dismiss them as just the A's relationship, social or character defects, or as isolated drinking incidents. We start getting annoyed but we don't get the real reason or cause yet. Untreated, the family disease lags behind in us while the alcoholic's progresses towards and then beyond that invisible line when it turned into addiction. And even once the alcoholism is evident, it takes time and a lot of learning and practice for us to find our way out - to recover.

The disease cunningly nabs the alcoholic, but we too unwittingly come down with the "family" part of the disease. So, it's important to note and bear in mind that we didn't Cause the disease, the alcoholic to drink or ourselves to have the bad reaction.

It was the family disease's fault.
Old 05-31-2017, 07:12 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

What is the SA forum?

Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
Yay, a Reply! It's "Kind of a Drag" that we have to point newbies to the SA forum.

Yes, you're right about the music!
What is the SA forum?
Old 05-31-2017, 07:22 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Originally Posted by Nadinemel View Post
What is the SA forum?
Substance abuse.
Old 05-31-2017, 02:42 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Thanks to Alanon I learned the problem wasn't the alcoholic, it was me. That what I called love was really need. And that I have the choice to stay in a sick and destructive relationship or leave. It wasn't one eureka moment, it was a long process, two steps forward, one step back.
Old 06-01-2017, 08:12 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

i go back and forth and get confused on the cody definition:

Is it that codies get validation out of trying to 'fix' people, and that they derive their happiness when the other is happy,

OR,

is it more unconsciously parasitic, where they look for people to control under the pretense of 'helping' them?

OR both?

I've read from different sources and the word gets thrown around a lot...
Old 06-02-2017, 06:24 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Nothing wrong with a CD

There is nothing wrong with trying to control your own life. There is nothing wrong with trying to control how you are treated in this world by other people. And there is nothing wrong with trying to control the path your life takes and how it gets there.

And if this concept of codependency has to do with controlling other people, such as your attic or your abuser, then codependency to the extreme listed above is just a simple response of an abused person who is being controlled themselves, trying to survive and make what is dysfunctional functional again.

It's futile when dealing with a mentally unhealthy person. But in a healthy relationship, none of the actions listed above would even be necessary. So I put zero fault on any person who thinks they're a codependent, and zero fault on anyone who is ever acted the way listed above. If your abused and someone's messing with your mind, you have every right to try and control that situation. Every right. Or just leave.
Old 06-02-2017, 06:47 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

This is my favorite share on codependency, from Tuffgirl, originally found on this thread:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...passion-2.html

Originally Posted by Tuffgirl View Post
We talk a lot about codependence, and yet there is still a lot of confusion over what it actually means. I don't believe there is inherent codependence in intimate relationships.

I believe there is interdependence, which is defined as: mutuality: a reciprocal relation between interdependent entities (objects or individuals or groups).

Codependence is defined as:a psychological condition or a relationship in which a person is controlled or manipulated by another who is affected with a pathological condition (as in an addiction to alcohol or heroin); and in broader terms, it refers to the dependence on the needs of or control of another.

I am going to say this and it may sound a bit arrogant for which I apologize, but I know I wasn't codependent when I got into this marriage with an addict. Over time, my behaviors became that way to a degree. The true codependent in my marriage was my husband. His need to control me was insatiable. No wonder he was always so frustrated by me! ; )

My codependency came as a direct result of trying to keep the hands on the wheel of our marriage and family as we were veering dangerously off the cliff. I took on many things that he was able to do himself but didn't because he was drunk. I made excuses for his unacceptable behavior and allowed my boundaries to be violated over and over again.

I strive for interdependence in my relationships. I am so thrilled to have reached that point with my teenagers, where it is far more reciprocal than when they were needy little kids! My extended family operates this way. My team at work is very interdependent...not one of us is the expert, we all know a little and together, we know it all! ; )

I won't accept any less than this in my life nowadays. Being "attached" to others is simply too much work, and I choose to seek only a healthy, mutual interdependence.

IMHO, of course! Take what works and all that jazz...
~T
*My* personal addition to this share is that for me, I WAS already primed as a codependent coming into my marriage as the oldest child from a highly dysfunctional family.

For me, it's also easier to see & change my codependent behavior with my husband vs. my FOO because my expectations for those relationships are entirely different. With him, I ACT codependently, with them I AM codependent. With him, I have always had a separation of Self, but with my FOO my codie qualities have been part of my role/definition as a person to me & to each of them practically from birth. It's also why they resist my changes in recovery the most as well.
Old 06-02-2017, 06:48 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Spinner-007 View Post

Is it that codies get validation out of trying to 'fix' people, and that they derive their happiness when the other is happy,

OR,

is it more unconsciously parasitic, where they look for people to control under the pretense of 'helping' them?

OR both?

I'm going to butcher something dandylion often relates, but her explanation has always resonated with me: "Codependency is less about one's relationships with others than it is about their lack of relationship with themselves."

I focused outward to avoid focusing inward. I only knew how to let my relationships define me until I learned to get know myself and to even understand that I could define myself by myself. Codependency for me was trying to get what I thought I needed from others until I realized I could only get it from within.
Old 06-02-2017, 06:49 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Spinner-007 View Post

OR,

OR both?

I think all of this is accurate. When I think of co-dependent, I think of allowing someone else to dictate/control my emotions or actions. I base my emotions on someone else's emotions. So if I have a good day at work & am in a good mood, then I come home and my husband is in a bad mood, I would immediately go into a bad mood to mirror his. That's what co-dependency means to me.
Old 06-02-2017, 06:54 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SparkleKitty View Post
I'm going to butcher something dandylion often relates....

I always think of it this way: "Codependency is the chronic neglect of Self."
Old 06-02-2017, 07:20 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Agree

Originally Posted by SparkleKitty View Post
I'm going to butcher something dandylion often relates, but her explanation has always resonated with me: "Codependency is less about one's relationships with others than it is about their lack of relationship with themselves."

I focused outward to avoid focusing inward. I only knew how to let my relationships define me until I learned to get know myself and to even understand that I could define myself by myself. Codependency for me was trying to get what I thought I needed from others until I realized I could only get it from within.
Now that I can agree with... I was sucked in to focusing on him and lost my priority focus on me... due to the chaos and gas lighting. I had to shift to improving "him" from mere survival. Because he was the unhealthy one. So a healthy reaction to an unhealthy environment person or relationship… Would be to make an effort to change that situation into a healthy one.

CD probably when you stay after you realize you can't fix the other person or situation... and still try.