Good god.... I can't believe what just happened!!

Old 09-16-2012, 02:14 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Iceberg Ahead!

La Tee Da hit the nail on the head. Totally makes sense. Too bad you live so far away in Upstate NY!
Old 09-16-2012, 02:26 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

I think you're trying to control other people and, at the same time, over-reacting. So someone posted a few encouraging words. Why is it a big deal? And why do you care so much what other people think?
Old 09-16-2012, 02:28 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hey Gettingby, THANKS for being such a good sport! I think I understand more since you gave more background.

We tend to grab a good laugh---when we can get it. No disrespect intended.

There are some good guys out there who will appreciate you for who you are inside. Keep turning over stones---but, don't settle. I think you already get that, though.

Happy hunting

dandylion
Old 09-16-2012, 05:38 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Gettinby: I'm with you, CREEPY! How anyone can thing that is cute from a practical stranger is just unusual to me.

This falls in line with "how to lose a guy in 10 days"
If a woman did this to a man, he would run for the hills/

Total turn off if you ask me
Old 09-16-2012, 05:53 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Good call Summerpeach!!! It was totally something that could have been in that movie!!!!

Dandylion... "trophy girl"!!! LMAO!!! Good one!!!
Old 09-16-2012, 06:51 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

:rotfxko

I'm with you, that's a bit on the side of CRAZ-AY. But I did get a good laugh out of it, and maybe, just maybe he thought you'd get a laugh out of it too and that was all it was about.

If nothing else, that story totally made me laugh out loud.

Old 09-16-2012, 07:59 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

GB I totally agree with you that it was too much too soon. The way it was so public would have really annoyed me.

Two stories from me:
1.). A guy I had been dating for a couple of weeks showed up out of the blue and uninvited at my WORKPLACE, just before I was about to go do something stressful and important. I was p****d. Broke up with him shortly after.
2.). A guy I knew very vaguely from a social group I participate in (not AA, a sporting event), and had barely said two words to, and certainly not given any encouragement to at all, sent ROSES to, wait for it.... MY PLACE OF EMPLOYMENT. Argh! The roses had a note that said, "will you go out with me, love xx.". I said no.
I still get teased about these two things. I actually don't mind the teasing, but I did mind what both these guys did.

Last edited by Sobersunshine; 09-16-2012 at 07:59 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 09-17-2012, 05:29 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

He knew what he was doing. What he was doing was publicly marking you as "his" so others (who might ask you out) would think you guys are an item.

He was peeing on you like a dog pees on a fire hydrant, it's as simple as that.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:29 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Not sure how I'd react to that.

I am of the generation who still gets "hit on" while walking down the street, by other pedestrians as well as drivers. "Hey yo baby, can I get your number? Can I take you home?" Of course I ignore them and they change their tune fast and express other entirely different sentiments.
Old 09-18-2012, 01:32 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Might be a stalker, might just have a huge crush...

...and prone to grand gestures. If this were me, and a woman did that, I'd probably respond one of two ways.

If I wanted to see her again prior to the gesture I'd set a boundary around "grand gestures" and see if she respected it. If so, then maybe another date is in order. If not, done and done.

If I didn't want to see her again I'd tell her thanks for the gesture but I'm not interested in seeing her again. If she respected it, great. If not, a restraining order would be in order.

Either way, I'm with you-- after all I've been through with me alcoholic anything, and I mean anything over the top is way too much for me and makes me very, very NOT OK.

Take care Shannon. ("You're the best!" Joke goes here)

Cyranoak

Originally Posted by Tuffgirl View Post
I'm with Thumper; this isn't stalking. To me, stalking would have been him around every corner of the race with a cardboard sign and a t-shirt with your face on it titled "Team Shannon".

Maybe its a sign from your HP for you to learn to laugh at yourself?! I think there's a line between good humored joking and ridicule. And I'd be flattered that someone would go to the lengths this guy did to get your attention. Unless he did it while drunk! ; )

I know a lot of men whose motto is "go big or go home".
Old 09-18-2012, 01:53 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  
Iceberg Ahead!

A restraining order on a big and tightly drawn banner! :rotfxko
Old 09-18-2012, 02:57 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  
Occasional poor taste poster

* Jazz makes note to self.. don't spray paint PDAs on pavement...*

Got it! Thanks!
Old 09-19-2012, 06:17 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cyranoak View Post
If I wanted to see her again prior to the gesture I'd set a boundary around "grand gestures" and see if she respected it. If so, then maybe another date is in order. If not, done and done.

If I didn't want to see her again I'd tell her thanks for the gesture but I'm not interested in seeing her again. If she respected it, great. If not, a restraining order would be in order.
EXACTLY!!! I wasn't too crazy about going out to dinner to begin with... but was surprised at how much fun I had! So I figured, don't make a hasty decision. Give it time and let more be revealed! And boy oh boy was MORE REVEALED!!! YIKERS!!!

And yes, I did talk to him and was very clear that what he did was over the top and unacceptable to me. Thank god for my recovery because I was actually able to say what I mean, mean what I say... and I didn't say it mean!!

Originally Posted by Cyranoak View Post
("You're the best!" Joke goes here)
:rotfxko
I LOVE YOU CYRANOAK!!!!!
Old 09-19-2012, 06:30 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jazzman View Post
* Jazz makes note to self.. don't spray paint PDAs on pavement...*

Got it! Thanks!
You're welcome!!!

And if you do INSIST on doing it.... at least have a plan of attack so that it doesn't end up looking like this hot mess...

And to think... he thought no one would notice?!!??! :rotfxko
Old 09-19-2012, 07:10 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by suki44883 View Post
Yeah, I don't think it's psycho either ...
Maybe not psycho but most definitely extremely immature, with seriously poor impulse control and a total lack of proportion. Way, way over the top (and I'm a guy).
Old 09-19-2012, 07:12 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

It is so funny!!! Enjoy it we have all spent to much time crying. Thanks for posting it
Old 09-19-2012, 07:15 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Sorry but I think it's sweet, not psychotic. Exuberance is very charming. I wouldn't worry about stalking.
Old 09-19-2012, 07:41 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Labelling it pyscho was probably a bit of a "reaction" on my part.

Had I been way into the guy... I'm guessing I would have had a different reaction. Since I was only lukewarm about him... this was totally not cool with me.

The good news about all of this - is that I'm learning ALOT about myself, the kinds of guys I am and am not attracted to, and learning how to take my time and be more selective about who I chose to spend time with
Old 09-19-2012, 09:10 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Getting By,
Thanks for this thread. I remember coming on here when I was going through the worst of it. I think our time frame is similar. You may have left your ex only a few months before I left mine.

I also started dating recently (and getting fit, YAY!) and it's not easy.

There's a whole redefinition of identity that goes on with it. Obviously, I thought my ex was PERRfect for me - stylistically, intellectually, professionally, I thought we were a match.

Now that has been taken away from me, I'm not even sure what I find attractive anymore.

I can be grateful though as I feel myself heal. I feel sexier and more confident than I think I ever have in my life, so at least I got that!
Old 09-19-2012, 09:33 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Oh wow the picture tells a lot.

1- He defaced public property.
2- He went in someone's yard and sprayed their grass.
3- He vandalized someone's yard.
4- He vandalized a beautiful neighborhood street with permanent spray paint.
5- What he did is against the law.

What a beautiful well kept neighborhood. What kind of immature adult thinks it's cool to ruin a street and deface someone's property? The people on that street now have to look at this person's graffiti permanently. I would be furious if someone did that in front of my beautiful home and on my lawn. It would cost me a hundred bucks to get a steam cleaner to remove that. Did he even care that he ruined the serenity of that neighborhood? That kind of stuff can ruin the value of your home and makes your neighborhood look rundown.

All I can say is wow. Run!