Recovery tools...

Old 06-15-2012, 06:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Recovery tools...

I thought it might be interesting to see what recovery tools people are using. Please feel free to share what ever works for you or ask questions about how to use different recovery tools. I am sure someone here will have experience to share on your question.

Lately I have been using one for when I am feeling unsettled or have anxiety for no obvious reason. I sit quietly and just say words as they pop into my head and feel what emotional triggers are set off by the word.

For example, I used it recently because of a general feeling of anxiety. I've had it for a bit, not really intense or anything but just there always in the background. At first I just attributed it to the divorce process.

So, last night I decided to take a closer look at it. The 1st word that I stuck on was ANGER and anger was part of it but not the main part. So I kept repeating anger over and over when the next thing that popped in my head was ACCEPTANCE.

I was quite sure where this was going but this was the word that was at the core of my anxiety. So I repeated it over and over until it came to me that I was upset with myself, angry with myself for not changing as fast as I wanted to on something I am working on and angry with myself for being angry. It wasn't alcoholic related at all but just some changes I am making in my diet and exercise and I was frustrated and angry that the results weren't instantaneous.

Gee, why would I act like that? Is it possible to be a codie to yourself?

So what I figured out was I had to take it easy on myself, accept me the way I am now and let the diet and exercise program work at its own pace.

I have to admit that I felt much better just identifying the source of the problem and letting go of it.

Your friend,
Old 06-15-2012, 06:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing, Mike. Right now I am working in 2 journals. One I call my negative journal, the other is labeled as positive. I write down all the crap in the negative journal first. All the anger, the frustration, the sadness, etc. In the positive I write about love, things I'm grateful for, peace, and joy, etc.

Other than that, I read my Courage to Change daily and as a Christian, I read my Bible daily as well. I have been reading books on codependency, as well, but just haven't really gotten around to applying what I'm reading. I may have to go back and re-read a lot of stuff!
Old 06-15-2012, 08:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Physically, I try to stay active. It helps to relieve negative energy - spiritually, mentally, and physically. Sometimes the anger at my AH sucks me in, or even my sadness, hopelessness, anxiety. The quickest relief I found is to go for a run. It is just for me, no one else. I look at the sky, and the fields, the lake, the tiny birds with the long legs that run everywhere instead of flying, listen to the sounds of nature and birds chirping. I concentrate on my heart rate and think about my muscles working. I breathe deeply.

Mentally and spiritually, I go to al anon and talk with friends and family. I read my magazines and keep my house clean. I think about myself and how I can be a better person. Somedays, to combat self pity, I write down all of the things I'm thankful for that day, no matter how insignificant it may sound.
Old 06-15-2012, 10:16 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Survivor

Great Thread,

I wish I was more organized. But right now, I'm using Al-Anon meetings, therapy sessions, and SR. I've been praying more and talking to God.

And that is what is working for me right now.

Love,

Lily
Old 06-15-2012, 10:33 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Great thread Mike.

I have a weekly yoga class that is incredible. I would attend nightly if I could afford it; it's a 90-min Restorative Hatha session. Most of the people who attend for the therapeutic routines are healing specific physical body parts, like a bad knee or back injury from an accident. While I have worked out a few irksome physical issues, the meditations at the beginning & end of the session have really helped me focus on internal healing with my mind & spirit as much if not more. I have a greater skill level in yoga than this class challenges, but I've been hesitating to change to a harder class because I feel like it is where I need to be right *now*.

I also do a lot of chakra-centered breathing exercises because they help me to stay grounded. It was hard to get into the 'groove' with this but once I practiced it's become so easy to slip into a zone & mentally detach myself & regain some balance when I need it.

Lots of reading. Lots, all kinds.

Journaling helps me tremendously, but I'm fallen out of the habit... probably due to time restraints more than anything. Once my DD goes to bed at night I find I'm pretty wiped out & don't accomplish as much for me personally as I would like. It's my biggest issue - I love her & adore our time together but I NEED alone time more than ever at this point in my life.
Old 06-15-2012, 10:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I've been running and riding the stationary bike a lot. SR is a huge part of my recovery as well as al-anon. I have followed my own half-assed form of Buddhism for years and now I am starting to get into Taoism as well. It seems like a good fit for me.

Your friend,

Mike
Old 06-15-2012, 11:05 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Well dang, Mike, how am I supposed to know what to do if my guru keeps changing?

A

Just kidding. Anvilhead is my guru. LOL

Beth
Old 06-15-2012, 11:13 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

When in doubt do nothing. Wisdom will come when you are ready grasshopper.

Old 06-15-2012, 11:15 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I get new books on recovery, and read, read, and read some more.
I like to get new markers, fluorescent ones, to highlight the good stuff.
Exercising (walking with my short legged dog) feels good.
Working on being mindful.
Making an effort to do these things everyday..
Old 06-15-2012, 12:10 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by m1k3 View Post
When in doubt do nothing. Wisdom will come when you are ready grasshopper.

Ah Sensei, you are the master. I will do nothing.
<bowing out>

Old 06-15-2012, 12:33 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I listen to meditation tapes, walk, journal, go to meetings, read self help stuff, swim, read SR experience, strength and hope......
Old 06-15-2012, 02:56 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I love hearing everyone's recovery tools!
My go to recovery tool is positively yoga. Specifically Bikram yoga. That is the 90 minutes yoga in 105 degree heat. Trust me, you don't think of anything else. And how you feel afterwards is AMAZING. I was so upset one time after a fight with the then AB, I rushed off to a class and forgot my mat. I told the instructor that I was sorry (with tears in my eyes), I would need to borrow a mat, that I had been going though some "interpersonal difficulties," and he just simply looked at me and said "well you are in the right place." I went in the studio, cried until the instructor came out. Then it was awesome torture, and at the end, I had a whole new perspective on things. I was strong, I could get through ANYTHING.
Bikram can be expensive. I get unlimited 1-2 month long "Groupon" coupons and pay next to nothing.
We all are strong, we all can get through anything, WE just have to believe it!!!!
Old 06-16-2012, 01:30 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

OMG I am excited about trying bikram although I hope I can get in better shape so I can stand it.

I also have gone to some yoga sessions, they have a live didgeridoo player, its very nice. The class itself is more strenous that I would like but its in a nice place and I see it as an appointment with my higher self.

At the end of a yoga class is the only time I truly feel I rest.

Then, my other technique is just remembering I am just in passing here. That "it does not matter". If I fail miserably... it will all be over way too soon.

I am just coming out of another episode of depression, many days hopeless and listening to the inner critic telling me I was going to be mediocre and an idiot all my life, just like my mom, yadda yadda. I let it talk but I try hard not to believe any word. I am struggling with this but I feel good knowing this voice is not Truth. Remembering I am something else, there is an essence and a pureness that persists no matter what. This to me is to be in contact with HP.

I also went to buy some rollerblades. Doing some sport helps me too much, I have to sleep well, eat better, have something to look forward to..... and get some fresh air outside.

I also joined the "Forever alone" group in Facebook, LOL. 3million ppl also feel alone. Its not me, the only one feeling alienated.

SR has also been a huge help as well as my dear cats.

Also some youtube comedy. Oh and going to free concerts.
Old 06-16-2012, 02:44 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

What a great Thread! Very positive and uplifting....I loved reading all your responses.

Well for me - I recently bought us membership at the local Pool (Waterslides and rapids included!) so I pack the swimming gear and the three kids and off we go for a two or three hour session at the pool - they LOVE it and I LOVE it! Its also helping me lose a few pounds :0)

I also do a few sessions on my treadmill - I can't run (or waterslide) yet due to a back injury (damn childbirth LOL!) BUT I can walk very very fast and I do jog when I can!! and boy does that make me feel GREAT :0) - all the best Phiz :0)
Old 06-16-2012, 12:57 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

This is an excellent thread, love all the suggestions and I plan to try the chakra breathing that FireSprite mentioned.

I use journaling, bible reading, prayer, alanon and naranon meetings, self-help reading, the forums, bicycling, and walking.

The physical exercise does wonders for my outlook, must be the combination of endorphins released and the beautiful sights and sounds of nature. I also use the gratitude list.
Old 06-19-2012, 05:44 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Great thread- Keep it going !
Old 06-19-2012, 11:59 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Just started seeing a therapist - 5 weeks ago.
I read from the ODAT and other lit from alanon...also "the language of letting go"
I try to excercise...a walk or aqua aerobics as much as I can.
Therapist suggested meditation...as yet have not had time to try it - on my to do list though!

Good thread ....keep it coming....

Old 06-19-2012, 12:12 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Great thread!

Being out in nature and observing nature helps me a lot.

Also, occasionally watching TV or movies or reading books that are just "fluff" or silly.
It's not good to be watching/reading serious stuff all the time.
Old 06-19-2012, 01:33 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I allow myself.
I allow myself to feel whatever I'm feeling without second-guessing or judging my emotions.
I allow myself to crawl under the covers with a good book even if the house is a mess and the dishes aren't done.
I allow myself to not be perfect.

And I'm working on eradicating the word "should" from my vocabulary. Either I do something or I don't. I don't sit around feeling bad because I should be doing something else.
Old 06-19-2012, 01:44 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hi. I use urge surfing for my anxiety. I love it. I walk the dog at least 2 hours everyday. This is for both of us. We also meet people and their dogs, so it is a way to be sociable too. Cooking, reading novels and participating in sober sites like this one. Good question. Have a beautiful day.