I am not one of you..

Old 01-09-2012, 02:31 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

This is the link to the discussion we had about how alcoholism affects the children.[/QUOTE]

I will read it. I think my brain hurts from everything I've read in the last bit, but I will read it...
Old 01-09-2012, 02:46 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by choublak View Post
I would be asking where were you for the past 20 years...

I also have a serious question for you, did you "fake recovery" in the past? To get your wife and others off of your back?

You don't have to answer that if you don't want to, but pretending you are in recovery is no better than "breaking out in handcuffs", IMHO.
To the degree I understand your question, No I never "faked recovery". I never really believed I had a problem thought I could quit anytime. It had gotten much worse over time to the point I couldn't pretend anymore I was in control. I did say I'm controlling it or I'm slowing down won't drink so much.

I never actually said "I'm in trouble I need help," until 11/23/2011.
Old 01-09-2012, 02:54 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

I did not fully understand the damage and havoc I created within my family while I was actively using/drinking until I ended up with an alcoholic/addict daughter. That was a real eye-opener for me.

Now with the passing of 17+ years of the same old same old from her, the damage is irreparable as far as us ever having a close relationship again. She will always be my daughter, and I will always love her. That's as far as it goes.

There comes a point where a loved one realizes that too much damage has been done, and regardless of the intent of the alcoholic, there's just nothing left to repair. The loved one has no more to give in the relationship.

In regard to my daughter, stick a fork in me because I'm done.

Don't have expectations of your wife or children. That's unfair.
Old 01-09-2012, 03:06 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Freedom1990 View Post
I did not fully understand the damage and havoc I created within my family while I was actively using/drinking until I ended up with an alcoholic/addict daughter. That was a real eye-opener for me.

Now with the passing of 17+ years of the same old same old from her, the damage is irreparable as far as us ever having a close relationship again. She will always be my daughter, and I will always love her. That's as far as it goes.

There comes a point where a loved one realizes that too much damage has been done, and regardless of the intent of the alcoholic, there's just nothing left to repair. The loved one has no more to give in the relationship.

In regard to my daughter, stick a fork in me because I'm done.

Don't have expectations of your wife or children. That's unfair.
Freedom1990,
Not an expectation just a hope that my family isn't to the point you are.
Old 01-09-2012, 03:18 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Hello River13, and congratulations on your recovery. Those first few weeks are the hardest.

One of the fundamentals of recovery, in whichever program you choose, is to focus on your self. I don't know if you noticed, but you have received some wise suggestion from other people who are also recovering alcoholics.

Should you wish to reach out to others you have harmed then there are professionals that can help you with that; Marriage counselors, therapists, shrinks, members of the clergy, etc.

SoberRecovery does not provide any kind of professional advice, and the members can only share their personal experience.

We have several other forums that you may find useful.
Newcomers to Recovery - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Alcoholism - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Alcoholism-12 Step Support - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

As your original question has been answered, and the conversation is becoming circular, I am closing this thread.

Mike
Moderator, SoberRecovery