OT: why did you choose the name you're using?

Old 09-22-2011, 09:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

OT: why did you choose the name you're using?

I choose mine because I feel like I am at a bit of a crossroads and need to decide "well now what?"

And why did you choose the picture/avatar you did?

Sorry, it's a beautiful day here, and I'm sitting in the sunshine and procrastinating like crazy, again, and I was just wondering?
Old 09-22-2011, 09:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I chose mine because that's how I felt like I was living my life... just GettingBy. My avatar - well, I set that up many many moons ago back when there was a thread/discussion about pets - and haven't changed it since!
Old 09-22-2011, 09:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Suki is my dog's name. My avatar is a pretty flower. I like pretty flowers. It's color also matches the text color in my signature.
Old 09-22-2011, 09:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

I use my first name and my sobriety date. My codependency recovery date is 6/7/84, lol, 3 years to the day after I got sober. My AA sponsor was VERY INSISTENT that I also start Alanon THAT DAY.

I have to say that in many ways, Alanon has helped me more over the years than AA, after my initial recovery. Alanon has helped me in how I treat others, not just A's. Alanon also gave me a whole new perspective on the 12 steps from the one I had from AA.

My avatar is my Beloved Belgian Sheepdog (Groendahl) that I acquired from a former member of this site, Shania. She goes EVERYWHERE WITH ME, just about.

My signature is my deceased Wolf Dog Kita. She was 3/4 wolf and 1/4 Blue Heeler.

Love and hugs,
Old 09-22-2011, 09:23 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for starting this thread. It's been quite a while and many new members since we had one. I always like hearing the stories.

I am one of those people who gets songs stuck in my head. One the day I joined SR, I had "Brown-eyed Girl" by Van Morrison playing in there, so I picked part of the chorus, lol.

My avatar changes periodically because I am a photographer and there is always a "new favorite" I have. The current one is a sunset over Mount Shasta with a rustic barn.

L
Old 09-22-2011, 09:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

I remember when I first came here, LaTeeDa, and you used a lovely pic of Katharine Hepburn as your avatar. I knew right then you were someone I'd like.
Old 09-22-2011, 09:27 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by suki44883 View Post
I remember when I first came here, LaTeeDa, and you used a lovely pic of Katharine Hepburn as your avatar. I knew right then you were someone I'd like.
I remember that! KH is definitely one of my heroes. That was before I started photography. Thanks for that memory.

L
Old 09-22-2011, 09:29 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

When I logged on this year... (For the first time since 9/2006)... I found a private message in my inbox... from LTD!! Congratulating me on the birth of my daughter - who's now 5 and in kindergarten!!
Old 09-22-2011, 09:32 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

My username is a character from one of my favorite books (Watership Down). It's particularly appropriate for me because, according to the glossary in the book, it means "fur head"...I have very curly hair

I love working with my hands and am very artsy and often try new things. I went through a phase where I was obsessed with making sock monkeys. These were two of them. Buying cute socks that looked promising for sock critters was almost an obsession with me for a while. I sometimes still relapse
Old 09-22-2011, 09:36 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I guess my name is fairly obvious.... I wanted to be healthier than I was. I wasn't totally sure how messed up I was but I knew I wasn't well... Little did I know when I first came here just how unwell I was!

The photo-- my kids LOVE this kids book Scaredy Squirrel. He's a little neurotic but brave and eventually tries new things even though he resists doing so for a while. I was reading it for the miillionth time one night to D3 and then was on here and thought that it was perfect for me at the time. In the original book Scaredy Squirrel is afraid to leave his nut tree and then finally takes a somewhat unplanned leap out of his safe, but boring nut tree and realizes that "the unexpected" (his phrase) is pretty great.

So, I still like the reason behind the picture, but I think unless someone knows the story or reads this blabbering explanation they probably think I'm calling myself a scaredy squirrel and that's not really it...

I think I may have to change my user name at some point though bc it might be more appropriate to be "getting healthier" or something like that...

I love this thread-- it's great reading everyone's stories!
Old 09-22-2011, 09:57 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Well I wanted baby steps but it was already taken. I feel that I only take baby steps forward, so I used stepsforward. I have to go forward I can never go backward it hurts to much.
Old 09-22-2011, 10:00 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by laurie6781 View Post
I use my first name and my sobriety date. My codependency recovery date is 6/7/84, lol, 3 years to the day after I got sober. My AA sponsor was VERY INSISTENT that I also start Alanon THAT DAY.

I have to say that in many ways, Alanon has helped me more over the years than AA, after my initial recovery. Alanon has helped me in how I treat others, not just A's. Alanon also gave me a whole new perspective on the 12 steps from the one I had from AA.

My avatar is my Beloved Belgian Sheepdog (Groendahl) that I acquired from a former member of this site, Shania. She goes EVERYWHERE WITH ME, just about.

My signature is my deceased Wolf Dog Kita. She was 3/4 wolf and 1/4 Blue Heeler.

Love and hugs,

I like your picture, cool dog, and I have the same name, so the picture looks especially good to me!
Old 09-22-2011, 10:02 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wellnowwhat View Post
I choose mine because I feel like I am at a bit of a crossroads and need to decide "well now what?"

And why did you choose the picture/avatar you did?

Sorry, it's a beautiful day here, and I'm sitting in the sunshine and procrastinating like crazy, again, and I was just wondering?
When my daughter was very little, I used to tell that when I gave her something she must say, "Thank you Mommy who I love and adore and who is the Mighty Queen." She would get so mad and shout at me, "You are not a queen! You are just a regular mother! You don't even have a crown!"

Then when she became a pre-teen and wanted money for clothes or whatever, she would come to me and say, "Mommy, whom I love and adore and who is the Mighty Queen....?"

So, when I first got the Internet, naturally Mighty Queen was my choice! Someone else had then name first, so I added my birthday.
Old 09-22-2011, 10:04 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

has to do with my passion outside of issues, which happens to be genealogy. I am always searching, and didn't feel like coming up with something new.
Old 09-22-2011, 10:13 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I chose mine because I love the wisdom of the Serenity Prayer, and because I want to get some serenity back into my life. Also, I misspelled serenity on purpose because I am struggling with it.
Old 09-22-2011, 10:23 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Alice in Wonderland has always been the story character I related to since early childhood. I, too, believed that a world of my own lay just beyond my mirror or down some rabbit hole and that if I lived there and not the childhood and later adulthood that I had, life would be perfect. Thought I knew it all, too.

When I reached adulthood, was out on my own, had the man I thought met all my chosen requirements, I found myself once again believing a world of my own would have been far better. When I came here looking for answers on how to fix my EX, I learned that all along, my world had been my own and of my own choices, and if I didn't like it I could wake up see the real world and finally be a part of it.

My first Avatar was a Disney movie shot of Alice floating in a bottle. I felt very much that way. Cast adrift with no way to steer and no way to stop my direction. Had to accept that lack of control, I know now.

I switched to the one I have now when I achieved my lofty goal of owning my own little house on my own separated from my EX and starting anew. It's another Disney movie shot of Alice stuffed into the White Rabbit's cottage. It makes me giggle. I hope I never grow out of my little house, though

Alice
Old 09-22-2011, 10:29 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I choose my name m1k3 because my name is mike.

My avatar is Lumpy from Happy Tree Friends. A violent, gory and very funny online cartoon series on YouTube. (Warning, not for kids.) I liked it because I can see him sticking his tongue over and over into the fan and each time expecting a different result and then suffering the pain. Kind of like the last 10 to 15 years of my life.

Even though I am much better now I keep it because I like Lumpy. He may cause many injuries to himself and others but it is never out of meanness. He is also a reminder of a place I will not go back to.

Your friend,
Old 09-22-2011, 10:52 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by serinityprayer View Post
I chose mine because I love the wisdom of the Serenity Prayer, and because I want to get some serenity back into my life. Also, I misspelled serenity on purpose because I am struggling with it.
I love this!

Alas, I struggle with "serinity" myself.
Old 09-22-2011, 11:07 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

'Soaring Spirits' is the name of a climbing rose I bought two days after I separated from my AH. It symbolizes change for me, also also the concept that one's spirit can soar even after hard times caused by the 'spirits' of alcohol.
Old 09-22-2011, 11:11 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Mine's fairly obvious. It's how I've felt for the last few years.

I'm trying to change that now.

The pic I found on deviantart.com and pretty much perfectly illustrates how I feel.