OT: why did you choose the name you're using?

Old 09-22-2011, 11:11 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I guess mine is obvious just being fedup for so many years but now I'm finally doing something about it and the number 3 stands for my kids and me. I'm so blessed to have them! They're amazing young adults. Maybe I might change my name as well.
Old 09-22-2011, 11:16 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Occasional poor taste poster

My handle is because I love contemporary jazz, here's a great example.

Fourplay Bali Run - YouTube

My avatar is of Mel in Bora Bora on our honeymoon in honor of her memory.

Old 09-22-2011, 11:23 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I tried using my own name-Andy, but can't remember how many permutations were in use , it wasn't allowing -I'm an artist so painterman popped into my head-could be painting walls and windows too..
Old 09-22-2011, 11:26 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Jazzman: Thanks for the musical link! I love discovering new favourites!
Old 09-22-2011, 11:30 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I chose KittyCopes because my AH calls me "kitty" as a pet name, and I thought "Don'tYouDareCallMeKittyYouDrunkenJackass" was too long.

And now I like it, because I am coping.

I haven't figured out how to post an avatar yet.
Old 09-22-2011, 12:03 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KittyCopes View Post
I chose KittyCopes because my AH calls me "kitty" as a pet name, and I thought "Don'tYouDareCallMeKittyYouDrunkenJackass" was too long.

And now I like it, because I am coping.

I haven't figured out how to post an avatar yet.
Based on your post how about this one?

BTW, go to "user cp" in the upper left and select "edit avatar"

Your friend,
Old 09-22-2011, 12:18 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

When I arrived here I was truly at a lose……..today….wish I could change it to no longer at a lose thanks to all the wonderful people here at SR.

I love the beach, it’s very calming to me.
Old 09-22-2011, 12:26 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

When I first joined SR - my name was "Japic05" because that was email & I couldn't think of anything else - (those are the initials of some of my grandchildren)

Then as time and life goes on - there were big changes - many of you know about my PINKNESS - becoming the start of the wheels of change for me - so you know how I love my PINK

Now I live on a farm called PINK Acres with a PINK fence & barn - married to a wonderful, loving, kind man - named Mr. PINK Acres - so I changed my name to Ms.PINKAcres

my pic - was taken when I was the speaker at an AA Convention in April 2009 (this was during my painful divorce and when my now exah threatened to come to the convention and give me a rough time during my talk) - my recovery sisters decorated my hotel room & door with complete PINKNESS.

My name & Picture on SR is a complete miracle on which I am so so so grateful!

PINK HUGS,
Rita
Old 09-22-2011, 12:32 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I chose Thumper because the first 4,972 names I entered were already in use i was running out of ideas, lol. Thumper is a fine rabbit and apparently under appreciated because there wasn't one other Thumper at SR.

I change my avatar every so often. They have no particular meaning - just liked them at the moment.

Booorrrrring
Old 09-22-2011, 12:40 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

@Thumper: Yeah, I tried a ton of names too! Apparently anything resembling a AA or Alanon slogan is long gone! I kind of regret not thinking longer for something more mysterious or meaningful. And I didn't want something so personal it would give me away to those who know me. Although, I've probably shared enough of my story that they could figure it out anyway.
Old 09-22-2011, 02:38 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

You tell him Kitty!
Old 09-22-2011, 03:11 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Freedom is self-explanatory, 1990 is the year I got clean/sober. I chose my current avatar because I have 6 cats.
Old 09-22-2011, 03:22 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

My nick names's weasel on all of the boards I belong to and it dates back 20 years. (Because I'mma weasel, in the best sense of the word )

SOBAR is our local Motorcycle Club, Sober Organization of Bay Area Riders
Old 09-22-2011, 03:46 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

shawty is what my xab called me, and i decided to use that instead of my real name, which is misty. i was born in 1980, so that seemed an obvious number to use...plus, i HATE odd numbers.

great stories and explanations. what a fun thread!
Old 09-22-2011, 03:55 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Journey To Me

My name has absolutely nothing to do with alcoholism or its effect on me, nor how I was feeling at the time. I simply used it since I use it for another android development forum, and it was easy to remember. I actually was curious if/how I could change it on this forum. I’ll have to look into that. MyTouchAddict has to deal my addiction --my hobby of android hacking. My first android phone that I hacked into was the MyTouch 3G Slide. That is where I did trial and error with learning how to delete system files, run certain system required apps, flash different ROMS, and mess with the transmission radio. I am a geek that loves android development!

I did add a quote, however, that I liked and that I thought pertained to my healing process The avatar is in my perception of a woman in thought as I am currently thinking of myself and what I want for me.
Old 09-22-2011, 04:09 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Well, since being sober I wanted to be as truthful as possible always. On the internet, too much info is not always wise, therefore I reached a compromise!

Guess what Jeff63 means!
Old 09-22-2011, 04:14 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MTSlideAddict View Post
--my hobby of android hacking.
OT OT: should I root my brand new dinc 2?
Old 09-22-2011, 04:46 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Journey To Me

Originally Posted by SOBARweasel View Post
OT OT: should I root my brand new dinc 2?
My answer to this question is always yes! I think to root the dinc 2 you'll have to turn the S-off first. The thing you have to remember before you root, though, is by rooting your phone you will lose your phone's manufacture warranty, and if you accidently brick the phone they will laugh at you if you try to claim it under the warranty.
Old 09-22-2011, 05:54 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Thank you for this fun thread.

I am in recovery from an eating disorder for a little over 11 years I have been working on it.

About six years ago a number of wonderful things happened to me. I started to feel emotions which were big and scary at the time, and my ex and I got a German Shepherd dog. Especially when I was trying to "stuff" my feelings and not feel them she would act them out, not in such great ways. At one point she could have been an example of what not to do on any number of dog shows.

We finally found a trainer (worth her weight in gold), and between my individual work, the dog trainer, and my wonderful dog who worked so hard for me I have a relatively well adjusted dog now.

She taught me how important it was to feel, and to be congruent (act, say, sit with) what I was feeling.

She is my LifeRecovery dog, and I tell her this on almost a daily basis. My life has been enriched by her (both the good and bad).

My other dog's second name is Snort and Prance....which would probably be completely inappropriate for a forum like this. He however is teaching me how to lighten up and have fun.

One of these days their pictures will be on these pages. I am working on it.
Old 09-22-2011, 06:10 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

What a neat thread.

LifeRecovery! My dog is my furry mirror and the one being to whom I could not lie.

I know *exactly* what you mean about being congruent.

I thank God for sending me the dog I needed, not the one I wanted. I am grateful for the dog trainer who helps me immensely.

My dog and I are both in Recovery from reactive behaviors and we are both happier for it.