Interesting and fun....

Old 07-20-2011, 02:09 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Occasional poor taste poster

Man I didn't know there was gonna be a test....

How often I check my 401k?
Old 07-20-2011, 02:58 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
In search of myself

Well, I know I definitely have no control over this weather we're having - whew! I heard on the radio that some kids in downtown Philly were trying to see if an egg would actually fry on the sidewalk ...

Control? The words that come out of my mouth.
Old 07-20-2011, 03:02 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

"Control? The words that come out of my mouth."

I wish I had better control of the words that come out of my mouth! I seem to be a chronic sufferer of foot in mouth disease!
Old 07-20-2011, 03:08 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
In search of myself

I stand corrected, and you are spot-on, wellnow! I've frequently managed to shove my size 7 into my BIG mouth!
Old 07-20-2011, 04:45 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Well, I'm ethnically half-Jewish so according to conspiracy theorist moron racists either people in my family or I am controlling:

1. The Media/News/Fifth Estate
2. The Banks/Financial Industry
3. The Entertainment Industry
4. Software and Technology

It's weird, because as far as I know nobody in my family controls any of that ****, nor do any other Jewish people I know. In fact, as far as I can tell the only thing I can control is myself, and I can't even do that 100 percent of the time.

Well, I'm off to jump in my limo back to the office where I'll make sure the recession continues, newspapers endorse only Jewish-friendly candidates, ****** movies get made, and other Jews get rich owning software companies. You know, Jews like Bill Gates and Steve Jobs. Oh, wait, they aren't Jewish. Neither is Rupert Murdoch. Neither is James Cameron. Neither is Warren Buffet.

OH NO! Does this mean Jews don't control everything?

Dang it.

Thanks for the thread,

Cyranoak
Old 07-20-2011, 04:57 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

the remote
Old 07-20-2011, 06:45 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I use to have control over my bladder... Then I had two kids. Gone. But I hear there is a 12 step recovery program that can help me get that back!!! Lol!

Thanks for the thread Mike. It is good to realize just how little control we really have. Really makes me feel less guilty and responsible for everything around me
Old 07-20-2011, 07:21 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Chaotically Peaceful

Originally Posted by m1k3 View Post
So far as i can tell the only thing I can control is how I choose to react to what is happening around and within me.
I used to have "I cannot control your behaviors, I can only control my reaction to your behaviors." in my sig. One of my favorites.

And...BTW...I was going to answer "my reactions" as my one thing.
Old 07-20-2011, 07:30 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
A work in progress

All your base are belong to us.
Old 07-20-2011, 07:40 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I just started my "uncontrollable" list last night. This is the perfect post for me today. I got the big ones down on that list which is what I needed.

I realized some time ago that I cannot control my feelings (because I am going to feel what I feel), but I do get to control what I do with them.

The one I am trying to work out is: I don't get to control another person's feelings (or reactions), but I think I do have control over what I do with it.

Thanks for the post.
Old 07-20-2011, 07:55 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Present

Originally Posted by Cyranoak View Post
Well, I'm ethnically half-Jewish
Well now Cyranoak, if it's your mother who is Jewish (mine is) then by Jewish law, you, too, are Jewish...if it's your father who's Jewish, you're maybe not so much Jewish...Oy Vey!!
Originally Posted by LexieCat View Post
All your base are belong to us.
I'm so confused...

I used to have nightmares throughout my life from early on. Then one day, the Source gave me the gift of being able to stop them. I haven't had any nightmares since then. So I'll call that the gift of controlling/stopping nightmares. Which of course I did not do by myself. As for what I can control all by myself without HP - Nada!
Old 07-20-2011, 08:07 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Originally Posted by MeredithD1 View Post
I'm so confused...
All your base are belong to us - Official Video Site - Planet Tribes
Old 07-21-2011, 01:11 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

Originally Posted by wellnowwhat View Post
the remote
But others have chosen the channels and the program and the actors of your favorite show.

And one day the batteries will die and you can't control when it will happen.
Old 07-21-2011, 01:15 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

Interesting exercise!

Yes.. my reactions... today I interacted with several people that seemed to be angry/stressed... AND I LET THEM GO! ok, not 100% but I have not spent the afternoon dwelling....

Although that is an art, I don't think its THAT straightforward. To me its like one of those car games in fairs where you are supposedly "driving" but its more like you try to give the car one direction and hope for the best...
Old 07-21-2011, 06:33 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TakingCharge999 View Post
But others have chosen the channels and the program and the actors of your favorite show.

And one day the batteries will die and you can't control when it will happen.
You are right. If I could control that, I'd put something on worth watching!!
Old 07-21-2011, 06:46 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

I get daily meditations emailed to me... and today's?!?! Was about CONTROL!! HA!!

Things We Can’t Control
Allow, Trust
We develop grace as we learn with the guiding hand of the universe, life will unfold exactly the way it should.

The idea of trusting the universe is a popular one these days, but many of us don’t know what this really means and we often have a hard time doing it. This is partly because the story of humankind is most often presented as a story about struggle, control, and survival, instead of one of trust and collaboration with the universe. Yet, in truth, we need to adhere to both ideas in this life.

On the one hand, there is much to be said about exerting control over our environment. We created shelter to protect ourselves from the elements. We hunted for animals and invented agriculture to feed ourselves. We built social infrastructures to protect ourselves and create community. This is how we survive and grow as a civilization. However, it is also clear that there are plenty of things that we cannot control, no matter how hard we try, and we often receive support from an unseen force – a universe that provides us with what we cannot provide for ourselves.

It is a good idea to take responsibility for the things in life that we can control or create. We work so we can feed, clothe, and shelter our loved ones and ourselves. We manifest our dreams and visions in physical form with hard work and forethought. But at a certain point, when we have done all that we can, we must let go and allow the universe to take over. This requires trust. It requires a trust that runs deeper than just expecting things to turn out the way we want them to. Sometimes they will, and sometimes they won’t. We develop equanimity and grace as we learn to trust that, with the guiding hand of the universe, life will unfold exactly the way it should. We are engaged in an ongoing relationship with a universe that responds to our thoughts and actions.
So, letting go of control for me... goes back to trust! Kind of like teaching my daughter how to ride a bike, or how to swim... for her to do it - she has to trust... let go, and know that while there may be some pain... there may also (and more likely!) be a reward!!
Old 07-21-2011, 07:11 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Gettingby, good post, thank you for sharing.

I see it a little differently than the author though. I don't see it as
exerting control over our environment
. I can't control the environment. I see it as choosing to build a shelter because of the environment. I don't control, I react.

I'm splitting verbal hairs here but at this point in my recovery the distinction is important.

This has turned into a very entertaining and enlightening discussion.

While writing this I just had an AHA moment. The reason I feel that control is impossible is because to me control means that I can keep something from changing. I can't. Ever. Everything is changing all the time including me. Control is static, life is change.

Wow, this goes back to a book from my youthful hippy days. 'DAS ENERGI'. The book was about giving up control, accepting responsibility and a participating in the 'flow of energy' (life) as a choice, rather than just being carried along. It was a cool read but I didn't buy what it was saying then. It fits pretty well with what I feel now.

Thanks to everyone who is participating in this thread.

Far freakin out man!

BTW, those who say they can remember the 60's weren't really there.
Old 07-21-2011, 07:31 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

So far as i can tell the only thing I can control is how I choose to react to what is happening around and within me.
This was one of my biggest insights after I left AXH. After a business trip, I flew in at 2 am and found my car under close to a foot of snow. I started it, brushed the snow off, and started the slow process of scraping the ice off the windows. Then I started the windshield wipers and one of them flew off and disappeared into the fresh snow on the ground. So I dug it out and reattached it. And by the time I was done, the car was warm and I got in and drove home.

And not until I was in the car driving did I realize that I had assessed the situation and done what was necessary without swearing and cursing and without acting as if it was this huge big injustice done to me that it snowed on my car and I had to deal with it.. During my marriage, that would have been my reaction because that was his reaction and I lived in the reality where his reactions were the "correct" ones.

Realizing that not only do I have control over my own attitudes and reactions, but also that I had actually shifted them, and that that shift made me happy, was a huge moment in my recovery.

The reason I feel that control is impossible is because to me control means that I can keep something from changing. I can't. Ever. Everything is changing all the time including me. Control is static, life is change.
I need to noodle that some more in my head. My first reaction is that this is a brilliant insight. Also, control means lack of trust. And hubris. When you have to control everything (or try), you don't trust your HP. You think you can do better.
Old 07-21-2011, 09:53 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lillamy View Post
And not until I was in the car driving did I realize that I had assessed the situation and done what was necessary without swearing and cursing and without acting as if it was this huge big injustice done to me that it snowed on my car and I had to deal with it.. During my marriage, that would have been my reaction because that was his reaction and I lived in the reality where his reactions were the "correct" ones.
lillamy, that was me! You saying this just made me realize that all these years I would react the way he did but I never acted that way before I met him. There would be times after a stressful situation that I would step back and question why I reacted the way I did and never understanding why. Wow, a lot of work ahead of me, ugh.
Old 07-21-2011, 10:12 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Realizing that not only do I have control over my own attitudes and reactions, but also that I had actually shifted them, and that that shift made me happy, was a huge moment in my recovery.
Thank you lillamy and fedup3 for those posts. Lillamy for saying it and fedup3 for smacking me on the side of the head and saying "pay attention, there is something important here".

I too am making the shift and being happy about it.

It never occurred to me to wonder where those dysfunctional reactions came from.

Duh!

That is why this place is so great.

Thank you both for sharing.