1st Al Anon Meeting - What's Happening to Me?

Old 01-28-2011, 04:44 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
I AM CANADIAN

gosh, I remember feeling like that at my 1st meeting then my second and third...until this week...I feel SAFE there...I can really talk in my group...let it all out and ask questions....i have found my serenity in those meetings...not one group is the same...i like to see and met more different people...the groups are, well,....HOME to me...

my HP speaks to me often now...I hear HIM....and i keep the air ways open...
Old 01-28-2011, 05:10 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Yes...

...and you put it into words exceptionally well. That, my friend, is exactly why they say keep coming back. I've heard over and over again variations of, "I don't know why it's working, I don't know how it's working, but it works." That's certainly been my experience.

Take care,

Cyranoak
Old 01-28-2011, 06:13 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

tryintosmile you did so much. There is an alanon expression "just dress up and show up". You did exactly that. Try not to worry to much about new age stuff and things that are a little deeper than most of us bargained for at our first meeting. All you have to remember is there is hope in those al anon rooms, lots of experience from the people who sit in those chairs and you dont have to explain a THING to any of them. They have lived it just like you are. I have only been going since last May but my life has changed and so have my relationships with others. I try to practice what I have learned in Al anon and I know it is about me now. I am getting healthier each time I go to a meeting even though I still live with my AH of 27 years. He has been sober for 2 months but has no program for himself. I could not survive without mine.
Old 01-28-2011, 07:48 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Thanks!

I am SO grateful to all of you who kept gently encouraging me to go. It took me several years from the time someone first suggested it. I understand now that we are not to give advice or judge, so no one was saying things like GET TO ALALON or anything like that. I almost wished they were, because it's almost like I needed my butt kicked there I think it's important for newcomers to actually be explained how 'magical' it can be (although I guess there's no guarantee that it works like that for everyone, of course).

I know some people have said that it doesn't work for them, or they feel better with one group more than another. All I know is that in the past I have tended not to feel comfortable in groups. I don't know why, other than I've felt like a bit of an outsider in 'groups' before, for whatever reason. Too bad for the reason that I had to feel like I finally BELONGED to something, but so glad it is there for me, and I have found out about other groups not too far away, so I guess I can go more than once a week. I think I'm hooked on a good thing - for a change!

I wouldn't have done it - without all of you - so once again
Old 01-28-2011, 10:16 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

For me the definition of 'majick' *is*

something that works every time
whether we believe in it or not
but we can't explain it.

and that's ... prayer.

woHOO!
Old 01-28-2011, 10:18 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

For me, the power of prayer ... is a fact.
Old 01-30-2011, 03:18 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LexieCat;2847198.
That internal SHIFT that happens when we first realize there is HOPE. That we don't have to continue to suffer. I experienced it in Al-Anon, and later when I went to my first AA meeting.

There are many good "explanations" here, but the bottom line is it DOES WORK.
Ahhh yes..the HOPE! When I first got to Alanon I told someone there that my daughter was going to die and they said"You don't know that" I realized my arrogance..I really don't know know..today she has HER program and embraces it..I never woudl've thought.......shows what I know!

Last edited by DesertEyes; 01-30-2011 at 08:09 PM. Reason: fixed broken quote