Dr. Drew Celebrity Rehab

Old 12-12-2010, 09:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Dr. Drew Celebrity Rehab

I'm sure I'm going to get some chuckles out of this one...anyone else watching this season's Dr. Drew Celebrity Rehab?
Old 12-12-2010, 09:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Why would you get chuckles on others people misery?
Old 12-12-2010, 09:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Skipper

No, I haven't seen it. Is it good?
Old 12-12-2010, 10:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

I do watch it.. Haven't had a chuckle about it..its pretty sad IMO.
Old 12-12-2010, 11:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

chuckles?
Old 12-12-2010, 11:03 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Oh geez. Not another thread where everyone goes nuts.

I just meant that I think sometimes the show is a little ridiculous. I don't really see the show as helping anyone.

The show is a bit of a joke to me. They stay in a fabulous place, eat great breakfast, don't do much all day. Meet and talk and then they are released without really being "cured" or whatever you would call it. Not that addiction is ever really "cured."
Old 12-12-2010, 11:05 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by goldengirl3 View Post
Oh geez. Not another thread where everyone goes nuts.

I just meant that I think sometimes the show is a little ridiculous. I don't really see the show as helping anyone.
I saw this on the tv guide. I believe it was on at the same time as Palin's reality tv show...
Old 12-12-2010, 11:08 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Palin has a reality show????
Old 12-12-2010, 12:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Do people get a chuckle at that show "The Biggest Loser" where morbidly obese people try to lose weight? They have the best chefs in the world cooking for them and they still, sometimes, don't lose the weight. The difference between obesity and addiction is that they can't get arrested for buying a cake, a box of cookies and/or a large extra value Mcdonalds meal. Obese Americans are just as draining on the medical system as alcoholics/drug addicts. However, I suspect few people get "chuckles" while watching The Biggest Loser.
Old 12-12-2010, 12:34 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Justfor1 View Post
Do people get a chuckle at that show "The Biggest Loser" where morbidly obese people try to lose weight? They have the best chefs in the world cooking for them and they still, sometimes, don't lose the weight. The difference between obesity and addiction is that they can't get arrested for buying a cake, a box of cookies and/or a large extra value Mcdonalds meal. Obese Americans are just as draining on the medical system as alcoholics/drug addicts. However, I suspect few people get "chuckles" while watching The Biggest Loser.
I sincerely doubt the OP was laughing at the participants. It sounded as though it was in reference to the absurdity of an entertainment show based on celebrities in rehab.
Old 12-12-2010, 12:35 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by goldengirl3 View Post
Palin has a reality show????
Yeah, like "Sarah Palin's Alaska," I think it's called. It's not nearly as funny as I thought it would be, though. It was actually pretty boring.
Old 12-12-2010, 01:25 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I sincerely doubt the OP was laughing at the participants. It sounded as though it was in reference to the absurdity of an entertainment show based on celebrities in rehab.
Yes thank you!!! That IS what I meant.

I just want to say...and I HATE this label - that codies have just as much negative thinking as A's. And I include myself in this, occasionally I take things said on the boards the wrong way as well. I really wish that people could consider that perhaps that is NOT what is meant when they read things sometimes.
Old 12-12-2010, 01:31 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

I apologize. I think I did take it the wrong way. That is why I don't like to text message people on my phone.
Old 12-12-2010, 03:08 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I have watched all the episodes, and some people are still sober (or claim to be) while others have relapsed.

I think Intervention is a much better show, no celebrities, just regular people. The show also lets you see some of them relapse, and at least 2 have died. It is a good thing that they show this side of addiction, IMHO.
Old 12-12-2010, 03:11 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
I AM CANADIAN

ok....off topic....what channel is it on and what nites?
Old 12-12-2010, 03:20 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

i think its mondays on vh1. i love the show, but i'm all about trainwreck shows and although it does show the true painful side of addiction, it certainly isnt anywhere near the show that intervention is.
Old 12-12-2010, 03:27 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I think this thread is interesting because it has asked all of us to examine how we feel about a reality show about addiction.

I am a recovering alcoholic; I don't find the show amusing in any way: it is like having needles pushed under my fingernails. Yet, I know, other recovering alcoholics might find it funny. I have to accept I am just me and others may see things differently.

My husband and I clicked on the show rather by accident once, and we decided to watch it.

The most striking feeling I had was that while watching it and feeling so sad, angry, uncomfortable and hardly amused, my husband seemed utterly neutral.

I thought: well, there are my guts out there spread on the highway like road kill but he was more interested in checking on the internet about the names and past history of the celebs in rehab.

I hope people don't watch it for amusement, that would be really sick, but maybe to have some understanding would be a better reason. It always chills me to the bone that for every alcoholic and addict there are at least 7 other people suffering from the addiction around them, so maybe shows like this are needed. I feel a lot of remorse for my families suffering so if watching this show helps them then that can be a good thing.
Old 12-12-2010, 03:59 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

What bothers me about many of these shows is that they make spectacles out of and exploit people's weaknesses and shortcomings for the voyeuristic public's entertainment (and of course, profit!). Therefore, I think "chuckling" is completely an appropriate response/reaction for viewers. . . I do question the sincerity of the "realness" of these "reality shows." (Since I separated from my AH, I don't have TV so I haven't kept up so much with television pop culture).

I am a bit hypersensitive on the topic of "addiction," because of the way it has affected my own life, . . . Finding the humor in it might be healing (like many of our very well-known comedians actually have had difficult, painful lives).

Goldengirl, maybe you are in a better place since you can find the humor in these shows. It's all good everyone!
Old 12-12-2010, 04:43 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

"Oh geez. Not another thread where everyone goes nuts."

That made me LOL. Astute observation! We all get a bit oversensitive on threads sometimes (myself included). I am learning to NOT read between the lines.

As for the show, they sign a contract and are getting paid way more than I'll ever make so I see the exploitation angle but they are well aware of what is going on. But I do question Dr. Drew's integrity as a physician to 'expose' patients like that.

The show is a trainwreck and it give people the wrong idea about addiction and recovery. You aren't seeing the mom or hard working guy who is struggling with addiction but people who are used to excess and feel they are 'different' by being celebretards. So no, I wouldn't say it is informative, I also don't think it is exploitive. To me it exposes the excesses that some celebrities get caught up in.

Intervention, however, I cannot watch because it is about people like your neighbor, cousin, sister, etc. I get too sad when I see that show, but not Celebrity Rehab.
Old 12-12-2010, 05:01 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

We all get a bit oversensitive on threads sometimes (myself included). I am learning to NOT read between the lines.

Thank you, Babyblue. Myself included, too!

Intervention is really hard to watch!