View Single Post
Old 12-12-2010, 03:27 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
littlefish

I think this thread is interesting because it has asked all of us to examine how we feel about a reality show about addiction.

I am a recovering alcoholic; I don't find the show amusing in any way: it is like having needles pushed under my fingernails. Yet, I know, other recovering alcoholics might find it funny. I have to accept I am just me and others may see things differently.

My husband and I clicked on the show rather by accident once, and we decided to watch it.

The most striking feeling I had was that while watching it and feeling so sad, angry, uncomfortable and hardly amused, my husband seemed utterly neutral.

I thought: well, there are my guts out there spread on the highway like road kill but he was more interested in checking on the internet about the names and past history of the celebs in rehab.

I hope people don't watch it for amusement, that would be really sick, but maybe to have some understanding would be a better reason. It always chills me to the bone that for every alcoholic and addict there are at least 7 other people suffering from the addiction around them, so maybe shows like this are needed. I feel a lot of remorse for my families suffering so if watching this show helps them then that can be a good thing.